African Dwarf Frogs!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #30
CrazyCatPeekin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

ADF are completely aquatic. They do not need any land areas. They will perch on something high up and stick their little heads out of the water or float at the top. Mine really seem to like to hang out in the floating plants in their tank.

I haven't ever tried to touch my ADF. I understand that they are pretty sensitive and absorb everything through the skin, so I really wouldn't want to chance it.

I have heard that they can escape the tank, but I have not experienced this myself. I have always kept them with apple snails though, so I generally leave 1-2 inches at the top of the tank with no water. (The snails need to crawl up the glass out of the water from time to time and will lay their eggs there.) I do keep a lid on the aquarium, but there is certainly enough of a gap for one to get out if he wanted to do so. I have not ever had a frog escape.

I have had a snail escape. I found him a good three feet from the tank on the bar. I suspect the cat may have helped him. I just plopped him back into the tank and he was fine.

I've never kept newts, so I can't say anything about those.
Eheim Pimp Club Member #498

Running Tanks: ~3 Gal Cylinder | Desk Spec | 10G Yellow Shrimp | Bookshelf Community | 10G Tiger/Fire Red | 10G Trio | 29G Fancy Goldfish | 35G Malaysian Pond Hex | 55G Semi-Aggressive | 70G Amazon Ram Tank | 100G Road To Nowhere
Future Plans: 180+ G Angel Tank
CrazyCatPeekin is offline   Reply With Quote