My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302 - Page 42
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #616
dmassarone

PTrader: (0/0%)

HW-404B Canister/Outside filter? I hope I'm in the right forum...

I'm new to this type of filter as I was using the Whisper 30-60 for years in my 35 and 55 gallon with never a problem. Still using one in the 35 and replaced the 55 with a 180 tall. I decided to get two of these as they were offered from the vendor when I purchased the new tank, so I went with it as he advised against using the HOB for this volume of water.

They were more $$ than what's written in here, but they've been running 24/7 and quiet as a mouse. The tank is 180 with 7 Oscars, 3 pictus, 1 pleco, 1 zebra, and 1 eclipse/sun cat. The only thing that didn't impress me was the primer pump, which is really my problem, but both canisters are next to each other, as I didn't want to bore another hole in the base cabinet. So I got longer hose to reach the other end of the tank, making a longer run to prime. Other than that...I just stayed with it and kept turning the unit on and off, priming in between, and in minutes I was up and running.

The tank is not rimless thus the intake and output sat low in the tank. I ended up using industrial strength hook and loop on the glass and the tubes (using cable ties on the hose to hold the loops on as the loops were pulling off the tubes) and then setting the hoses higher to where they functioned for my app. The outputs are right to the top of the tank now, breaking the surface of the water and making a running water sound and you can lower it if you don't like the sound...(it's really not that loud).

Only one problem with the hook and loop is that I can't comfortably add my background, but I'll get around that somehow.

The "skimmer" actually works well for me now that it's in the right spot, and I can actually have the water level where I want it. I guess we'll be in touch as time goes on and see how they last. I think so far, good bang for the buck when you get the deals. I'm still not disappointed! :-)

Last edited by dmassarone; 07-22-2012 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: Spell check, added and subtracted words.
dmassarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #617
Clint
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default Finally having a issue with the hw-302

After a year or so of use I'm finally having a problem with my HW-302. The impeller is rattling so loud i have to wrap the filter with blankets to muffle the noise. I believe the problem is with the cap holding the impeller in place, it only has two tabs that lock down allowing the whole cap to tilt to one side or the other as you tighten it down. My o-ring has a crease in it now and i cant get it to set flat. So far I'm not having any luck finding a replacement cap, o-ring, and impeller. I'll have to e-mail a few people on e-bay that sell the filters and see if i can get parts from one of them.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #618
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Good luck!
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #619
Aquaticfan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
After a year or so of use I'm finally having a problem with my HW-302. The impeller is rattling so loud i have to wrap the filter with blankets to muffle the noise. I believe the problem is with the cap holding the impeller in place, it only has two tabs that lock down allowing the whole cap to tilt to one side or the other as you tighten it down. My o-ring has a crease in it now and i cant get it to set flat. So far I'm not having any luck finding a replacement cap, o-ring, and impeller. I'll have to e-mail a few people on e-bay that sell the filters and see if i can get parts from one of them.
Let me get home later tonight and i can direct you to at least a couple places that service the parts for these filters. Easy to get and pretty inexpensive.

A years wear and tear on a filter isn't a big deal. Something I'd expect. Especially for the price. I would say a great buy. I've seen filters that cost more with plenty more issues.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
Aquaticfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #620
Evilgrin
Planted Member

started looking into this canister tonight and saw this filter called the reaction 4 stage filter sold at foster smith looks a lot like the sun sun filter they even sell replacement parts here's the link http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4144&subref=AA
Evilgrin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #621
Clint
Planted Member

After some tinkering, i got it to quiet it down a little, but the bottom of the impeller is a bit loose on the shaft so it has some noise still. Putting a fresh coat of petroleum Jelly on the o-rings helped a bit, i was able to get the impeller cap to sit better and the lid and valve now slide back together nice and smooth.
I found a site with replacement parts here: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com
The impeller is only $6, but they charge you $7 to ship it ($10 s/h if you add on a set of pads).

Hopefully Aquaticfan's site is better.

Thanks for the link Evil, if those are similar to the sunsun filters (the case is dead on), the ones with the UV bulbs seem have slightly different impellers.

I still really like this filter, the only one that is doing better performance wise is my odyssea cfs4 (a.k.a jebo 838). I've had it 2-3 years now and haven't done a thing to it other than cleaning out the pads when ever i remember I still have it.

I do like the cfs4's filter pads a little better though, I've only had to replace one so far.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #622
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
you might be able to try the Aquatop filter parts too, it seems to be the same filter. I just ordered the CF-400 from trueaqua.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #623
Aquaticfan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

They are exactly the same filters and parts as Aquatop.

Here is two places you can call even and get the parts you need.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....terFilter.html

and

http://www.truaqua.com/
Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
Aquaticfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #624
Clint
Planted Member

My impeller finally came today, it is a lot more quiet, but still not near as quiet as it use to be.

I'm not sure if it is due to having to use the the old rubber impeller mount since i couldn't get it out of the motor housing, or if something else is wearing out.

Last edited by Clint; 10-10-2012 at 02:08 AM.. Reason: typos >.<
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #625
Semnocao

Dear Friends,

My name is Diego Jesus and I'm talking over Rio de Janeiro - Brazil. I'll be mounting a 53Gal tank with African Cichlids, and I'd like to buy this SunSun external filter. On ebay I found only one seller that ship's to Brazil, but price is not so good. Could you please give me a hint of a website I can buy this ? The one's I found here in the forum, only 1 sends it, but shipping tarif was too high.

Tks and Brgds

Diego Jesus
Semnocao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:42 AM   #626
Clint
Planted Member

look for aquatop filters, they are the same thing.

not as cheap though.. :/

try searching for hw-302 (3 stage no uv) or hw-402 (4 stage, no uv), or swap out the 2's with 3's if you want the uv version. You'll get more results than if you just search for sunsun.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #627
ryu1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (53/100%)

I have been using ehiem ecco and fluval canisters and love those just not the price. I was also very skeptical about the price/performance of this cheap filter, but I bought it anyway as I need a second filter along with my ecco 2234 for my new 40B tank and bought a box of fluval bio rings and mix with some of my extra eheim bio media. I didn't want to risk for any leaks, so I tested the filter with a bucket of water in the bath tub overnight, no leaks and virtually silent. Very happy for a well spent $50 dollars, great flow as well. The only problem I have is I can't really get the skimmer to work, it doesn't seem to suck any water down the tube, but I replaced it with one that I have laying around and it works perfectly. Can someone show me how you get the skimmer (Photo or video the better) to work as I tried everything I can? Other than that, this filter is perfect so far even if it only lasts me for 1 year as I don't like to clean filter anyway. Thank OP for posting it because I would never buy if I see it on *bay.
ryu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #628
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
I have been using ehiem ecco and fluval canisters and love those just not the price. I was also very skeptical about the price/performance of this cheap filter, but I bought it anyway as I need a second filter along with my ecco 2234 for my new 40B tank and bought a box of fluval bio rings and mix with some of my extra eheim bio media. I didn't want to risk for any leaks, so I tested the filter with a bucket of water in the bath tub overnight, no leaks and virtually silent. Very happy for a well spent $50 dollars, great flow as well. The only problem I have is I can't really get the skimmer to work, it doesn't seem to suck any water down the tube, but I replaced it with one that I have laying around and it works perfectly. Can someone show me how you get the skimmer (Photo or video the better) to work as I tried everything I can? Other than that, this filter is perfect so far even if it only lasts me for 1 year as I don't like to clean filter anyway. Thank OP for posting it because I would never buy if I see it on *bay.
The point of this thread is to discuss the pros and cons of this filter. The skimmer has been discussed, ad nauseam. The gist of it is that it's crap.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #629
kyleax1
Algae Grower

Do Rena XP 20 ppi and 30 ppi foam pads fit in these filters? I was looking at getting the HW-304B
kyleax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #630
Semnocao

Dear Clint,

I can't use hang on filters since the back and right side of my tank will be touching my apt walls. Or I use this canister or an internal filter with a power head ( I didn't want to since it just doesn't look nice ).

I googled through many sites but couldn't find any that would send to Brazil. Wouldn't anyone help this aquarist lover and send me one her in Brazil ? I could make a Paypal transfer in advance!

TKs and Brgds
Semnocao is offline   Reply With Quote