substrate
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 11-27-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
seniorfrog
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

substrate

what is th ideal substrate for a vivarium with fire bellied toads in it? i read somewhere that the toads eat gravel and i had to get a special substrate for anphibians.

thanks
seniorfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2005, 08:14 PM   #2
dissident
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

The best is what will closest resemble what they have in the wild.
http://www.livingunderworld.org/amph...icle0021.shtml
that link my help, im not familiar with that animal but it may help you create something that closely resembles their natural habitat.
dissident is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2005, 08:39 PM   #3
seniorfrog
Algae Grower

ok thanks for the link. how do i keep it from going into the water and clouding it up? i read that the fire bellies need a lot of water to swim in, so how do i keep everything in place?
Old 11-27-2005, 09:04 PM   #4
dissident
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

My plan for that is using plexi glass and attaching it to the bottom and sides, drain in the middle to a canister filter and back out the back into a waterfall over stones back to the pool. Line the pool with some small slate to hide the plexiglass. Depending on the size of viv you are putting together this may or may not be an option. You can always make your own pond with a plastic tupperware container or something, you could use mosses/stone to hide the edges, or use a black silicone. Be creative

If you can have your tank drilled that is the best way to do the plumbing for it. Also having a drain below the substrate (do a false bottom) will help you avoid excess water down there which can cause problems.

In my test viv I used a 4" PVC sitting on the bottom with holes drilled and it runs to the top of the substrate so I can syphon excess water out that way (hidden by a fern). You can use a cap/screen over it to keep the critters out.
dissident is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2005, 07:01 AM   #5
yoink
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

For my fire belly toads I used shultz aquatic plant soil on the land side covered thinly with sphagnum moss, then live backyard moss on top of that. The water section just has inert aquarium gravel. The toads have never tried to eat anything but bugs, my finger, each other, and the ocasional guppy fry.
http://photobucket.com/albums/a257/y...%20Paludarium/
There are some pics here if you want to see what I'm talking about.
yoink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2005, 08:15 AM   #6
seniorfrog
Algae Grower

ok thanks for the replies and the ideas. thats a cool paldurium there. i am going to try to go for more land and shalower water, but that is a really cool setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.