Very Powerful LED Fixture Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
DeNoctis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb

Very Powerful LED Fixture Question

Hello Everyone,

I am relatively new to the planted tank and I have quite a challenge ahead of me. My tank is very unique 375 gallon with so many tannins it is tea colored after 24 hours after a near 100% water change. Dont worry no fish yet. But of course I have plants. Im starting to grow baby tears for an aquascapet carpet plant look and I need powerful light so I am purchasing a 500Watt LED module (Extremely bright) to punch through to the bottom and grow my plants. I know there are ways to 'fix' tannins I just want to let nature take its course with them. I am faced with a very expensive decision. I can go with the 500Watt lamp 27"X16" that puts out 130lumens/watt=65000lumens for $1050 or I can go with the 500Watt lamp same dimensions that puts out 100lumens per watt=50000 lumens for $800. Additionally, I am trying to determine if I should include the cost of a dimmer which is an additional 30% per fixture. So Im looking for second opinions as (you may have gathered) I don't know everything about light. The fixture will be 6,500 kelvin for optimal plant growth and I have a 100Watt flood light on either side of the aquarium with 10,000 lumens each. It's pretty surprising how dim the light gets by the time it reaches the bottom. I know that lumens arent the best measure of light but its all I have to go on from the manufacturers and the easiest measurement for me to understand as watts per gallon doesn't seem to fit with all types of light sources. I also have many different wattages available to me (100-900) but I really like the 500 Watt. The only risk of too much light is algae right? And there are dimmer areas of my tank off to the sides where the shy fish could stay if they think its too bright. I am using miracle grow organic choice potting mix (which I found has too many wood chips), peat moss (the probable culprit of the intense tannins) and the back wall is entirely made of virgin cork (took forever but looks incredible and will make a nice plant wall). I also have an overflow with a standpipe that drops only an inch and a half for minimal agitation, auto CO2 injection with a pH controller from green leaf aquariums (the choice one with 15lb co2 bottle and pH controller), a semisealed sump (did the best I could) and two return pumps via inline ocean clear canister filters and a UV sterilizer. My well water is also very high in pH (high sevens) and my CO2 system is new so I am seeing experimenting and trying to bring it down with carbonic acid. So what recommendations do the more experienced and knowledgeable experts have? What fixture and accessories should I go with? Thanks in advance.
DeNoctis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Have you got a link to the Led modules that you're planning to run? I'd like read up on them a bit, and determine their lumen/$$$ ratio.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Those tannins make a huge difference in light penetrating the water as well I'm sure you noticed the difference from first filled to 24 hrs later
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Sotty
Planted Member

Wow, you like to jump in with both feet! I have nothing to add to the conversation but I am intensely interested in this project. Pictures would be cool.
Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
lpsouth1978
Algae Grower

Wow!!!! That is a lot of $$$ for 500W of LED's.

I would do my own build. I have used these LED's on my Reef tanks with FANTASTIC results!

http://www.satisled.com/3w-high-powe...b7633d937.html

These come in a 180lm/W version. 196 of these with 60 degree optics runs $325.75 shipped. Pair those with this driver (you would actually need 3 of them).

http://www.rapidled.com/mean-well-hl...mmable-driver/

3 of these would run $345 shipped.

Total cost = $670.75
Add the heatsinks, fans, other goodies, and you are still below $1000 with everything and you are getting closer to 105,840 lumens with dimming capabilities using PWM, 1-10V, or resistors.

This will be a killer amount of light for a planted tank, but it would be completely dimmable.
lpsouth1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
shrimpedout
Planted Member

That's a crazy amount of money for some lights Jesus Christ. Especially when something for $100 will do the same thing.

---
Get shrimped out!
shrimpedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
lpsouth1978
Algae Grower

The problem with $100 lights on a tank that size is penetration. A cfl or even a T5 is not going to penetrate all the way to the substrate. You need something more powerful or at least more focused (like LED's with optics). A 375 gallon tank is a whole different beast.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

That is a big tank. That is A lot of expense. Wouldn't a 400w metal halide over this do a fine job for around 300 bucks? I suspect metal halide can handle the depth better than LED.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
lpsouth1978
Algae Grower

You might be surprised at the penetration you can get from LED's. plus a metal halide uses more power produces less PAR, and creates A LOT more heat.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
DeNoctis
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpedout View Post
That's a crazy amount of money for some lights Jesus Christ. Especially when something for $100 will do the same thing.

---
Get shrimped out!
I do think its pretty pricey too. I did spend about $200 on the 100 Watt 10k Lumen floods and they don't even make a dent so I was just going to step up my game. I hope to use my system to grow rare aquarium plants at great speed and sell them. So its an investment and LEDs last minimally ten years and don't lose much brightness or get very hot as compared to fluorescents and HIDs, respectively.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
DeNoctis
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1542 View Post
That is a big tank. That is A lot of expense. Wouldn't a 400w metal halide over this do a fine job for around 300 bucks? I suspect metal halide can handle the depth better than LED.
Actually not really. The opposite is true. LEDs have about double the output as metal Halides for a given wattage. And I don't want the heat/fire risk of a hot metal halide in my house nor the UV light they give off as its rumored to yellow some acrylics.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
lpsouth1978
Algae Grower

I had used 2 100 watt multichip LED's over my 90 gallon reef with great results. That is an even cheaper solution. I did not use flood lenses, but 90 degree optics. It was a super easy build. I think the floods would not be focused enough to penetrate to the bottom of the tank.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
DeNoctis
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
Have you got a link to the Led modules that you're planning to run? I'd like read up on them a bit, and determine their lumen/$$$ ratio.
Actually no. The provider I am using is an LED wholesaler for outdoor, warehouse, and Stadium lighting. They don't list their prices on a website so I have contacted a rep directly. She provided me with the following chart and I hope to have the prices for each soon. They seem to be the best, compact, LED floods I can find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floodlight Specs.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	54853  

Old 10-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
shrimpedout
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNoctis View Post
I do think its pretty pricey too. I did spend about $200 on the 100 Watt 10k Lumen floods and they don't even make a dent so I was just going to step up my game. I hope to use my system to grow rare aquarium plants at great speed and sell them. So its an investment and LEDs last minimally ten years and don't lose much brightness or get very hot as compared to fluorescents and HIDs, respectively.
Well by all means if you need it then go for it. that price just shocked me.

---
Get shrimped out!
shrimpedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #15
DeNoctis
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
I got it for ya! The prices are below along with a low quality picture of the modules and their design. I will of course be removing the U-Bar in the back as I plant to place it face down onto the top of the acrylic tank and only have 4 inches of clearance from under hood. The unit gets up to only 50 deg C (122F) so it will be a bit hot to touch but nothing the acrylic can't handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floodlight Prices.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	54869  

Attached Images

Tags
high light, leds, lumens, par, watts per gallon