ADA tanks???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

ADA tanks???

I was just wondering what is so special about ADA tanks?
Neatfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
MCHRKiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)

No idea personally...sure they are clear and rimless but just not worth the price IMO. Especially with so many great cell cast acrylic tank builders floating around.

150G|100G|50G|20G|10G|10G

~Jenn
MCHRKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

They are nice tanks but I agree can't spend that much on a small tank. Thought this was a cool video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jNTM...eature=related
Old 10-05-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
No idea personally...sure they are clear and rimless but just not worth the price IMO. Especially with so many great cell cast acrylic tank builders floating around.
Some people don't like acrylic. It scratches easy among other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatfish View Post
I was just wondering what is so special about ADA tanks?
Part of it is the name brand you are paying for. The other is the little things. Look at your video you posted and look at the silicone. It's perfect. It's not almost perfect, its not a thick link on either side of the glass like any mass produced tank. The glass is clear. It's perfect glass. It's not glass mass produced tanks buy when the manufacture says it's 85% defect free, and they say good enough. This is like 99% defect free. It's perfect. The cuts on the glass aren't close or almost flush or mostly smooth. They are exact, they are flush, they are smooth and not rough.

Once you do a few tank, it's not rocket science to cut and glue 5 pieces of glass together and even easier to make a machine do it and most for most people, that's good enough but to take it to the level of doing one perfect, is something else.

FYI, I don't have a ADA tank, not would I probably buy one because that's not my personality type, to care about those things, and to me a $100 tank or $20 tank is the same to breed some cherry shrimp in, but seeing some in person, I can appreciate the work and craftsmanship and if I had a perfectly planted showroom tank in my sitting room, I would get one. They are nice looking. Instead I'll still with petstore 10 and 20 gal's stacked in my bedroom. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #5
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

For the smaller versions, i think it's definitely worth going with ADA. Anything above a 90P seems to get pricier than having a tank custom-made with the same specs though.

You're paying for low-iron glass, clean silicone, excellent craftsmanship, and definitely the ADA brand name. You must see one in person to appreciate what great tanks they are.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
if_fishes_were_wishes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

For one, they have tanks with unique dimensions. I want a 60-f so bad, but it's $110 for an 8.9 gallon tank! I love that it's 2 ft long, but shallow, so it's wider than it is tall. If Mr. Aqua made a tank with those dimensions (24" x 12" x 6"?) I'd be all over it. I really don't care about the glass quality - I have a 12 gallon long by Mr. Aqua that suits me just fine even though it's not the best glass there is. Not a priority for me. Do!Aqua has the 60-f in lower quality glass but of course they're out of stock :P

To me, ADA means top quality glass plus unique dimensions.
Eheim pimp #255

55 gallon semi-aggressive community tank, 13.3 gallon cherry shrimp tank 12 long reef
12G Rimless Club
if_fishes_were_wishes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Its suppose to be the Armani, Ferrari of fish tanks, but i dont see myself getting one with those price tags ! De-rimmed 10 gallon tank from walmart =$10..... FTW !

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
if_fishes_were_wishes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, a de-rimmed 10 gallon is sounding better and better! I could even get a nice light, plus an Aquaclear filter for less than the price of the 60-f ADA tank. They sure are nice tho, but too rich for my blood.
Eheim pimp #255

55 gallon semi-aggressive community tank, 13.3 gallon cherry shrimp tank 12 long reef
12G Rimless Club
Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx

They're definitely expensive but as like so many things in life, you do get what you pay for. I believe that the quality outweighs the cost up to the 90 P. Over the 90P tank size becomes so prohibitively expensive that it really no longer justifies the cost even though the quality remains exceptional.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
MCHRKiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)

I bought my mom an ADA Mini-L for her Bday...it is nice, and yeah the glass is low iron. It is a nice little tank, I will never see the hype with them tho. My Seaclear tanks are more clear, and honestly have a more pleasing look IMO. Acrylic isnt really that easily scratched if you are careful and only use appropriate tools...plus its an easy fix if you do scratch it unlike glass

150G|100G|50G|20G|10G|10G

~Jenn
MCHRKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

If you're not one for luxury goods, skip it.

However, there's no contest between an ADA Mini L and a de-rimmed 10 gallon. To each his own, though.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
if_fishes_were_wishes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's not a contest, you've got that right. $10 vs $100. It's apples and oranges really. But, some of us don't care!

I'd love a Ferrari, but my VW suits me just fine. Even my Mr Aqua with its "poor" glass is perfect to me. Yes, to each their own. My fiancé would think I was crazy if I paid that much for a tank! I was even considering it, but common sense wins if you don't have that kind of loot laying around. Shipping was another $50 I'm fine with settling.
Eheim pimp #255

12G Rimless Club
Old 10-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

Honestly, an ADA tank is a piece of art. You're paying for the high quality materials and craftsmanship, just like you would a handmade piece of pottery. There is absolutely no comparison between a de-rimmed standard 10G and a Mini-L, and its naive to make such a comparison. Not to mention that tanks with rims aren't structurally made to be rimless, which is why they have a brace in the first place... why anyone would de-rim one, regardless of size, is beyond me.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (403/100%)

Yep, you're paying for aesthetics, quality and even customer service - particularly if you order from one of the TPT forum sponsors.

For me, personally, I want something that looks clean, modern and pristine if I've got a show tank in a living space. I usually go with ADA or Mr. Aqua (for the cheap, long 12gal) for small tanks. There's a world of difference in appearance when it comes to showing off what you love.

For a standard tank rank in my fish room that not everybody sees and that my other half doesn't have to look at all day long? $1 per gallon rimmed tanks all the way, hands-down.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #15
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

I'm guessing it would be nice if you had it as a show tank but when I'm the only on looking at it no thanks. If it was a gift I'll take it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.