Do you think this would hold water?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Phish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Do you think this would hold water?

I am planning out an outdoor container pond for next spring-fall. Being that it "breathes" I wonder if water will hold. Prolly not I figured. Any experiences with something like this? I will call the manufacturer if need be.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...stomer_reviews
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Could I add a 'definite maybe'?

Some things will breathe air, but not water. Some things will weep water slowly.

Another problem:
Would you be digging this into the ground? A soft material will sag, and spill water. Even the pre-formed heavy plastic ponds are not intended for above ground use. If you are digging this in, compare the price of pond liner.

For above ground use a better option would be a stock water tank. Tractor supply is one good source, and I have looked at fish-safe materials for roughly $1 per gallon. Some are relatively shallow, large diameter, others are too deep for the surface area if I was thinking about fish and water plants.

Another option would be a child's wading pool. Wrong season, now, but they show up in stores here in early spring.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Phish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Could I add a 'definite maybe'?

Some things will breathe air, but not water. Some things will weep water slowly.

Another problem:
Would you be digging this into the ground? A soft material will sag, and spill water. Even the pre-formed heavy plastic ponds are not intended for above ground use. If you are digging this in, compare the price of pond liner.

For above ground use a better option would be a stock water tank. Tractor supply is one good source, and I have looked at fish-safe materials for roughly $1 per gallon. Some are relatively shallow, large diameter, others are too deep for the surface area if I was thinking about fish and water plants.

Another option would be a child's wading pool. Wrong season, now, but they show up in stores here in early spring.
Thank you Diana. Yes, this is above ground, for my balcony actually. I liked the looks of that just because it holds 200gallons for that price, but yea what you say makes sense.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
Phish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Do you know if the galvanized stock tanks they have on tractor supply are fish safe? I like the way those look compared to the rubber ones.

for example

http://www.tractorsupply.com/-216869299
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I would not use galvanized. That is high in zinc, which is a plant nutrient in VERY low levels, and toxic at only slightly higher levels.

If you like the shape of galvanized, use a pond liner so the water is not in direct contact.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
Phish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I would not use galvanized. That is high in zinc, which is a plant nutrient in VERY low levels, and toxic at only slightly higher levels.

If you like the shape of galvanized, use a pond liner so the water is not in direct contact.
Great idea once again, I can't wait till spring! first time trying something like this so it will certainly be a good learning experience.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I have seen some really nice effects where the pond liner is very carefully and neatly wrapped over the edge of the tub, then sealed off. (I am not sure what was used). Then the exterior of the galvanized tub still shows off, and it has a neat rim of black, which is the pond liner. The plants should grow over that edge so the pond liner is not exposed to the sun. It holds up pretty well, but should be protected from the sun whenever it can be.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #8
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

My guess is no to holding water...one good rain and its a bog not a planter
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote