My tap water scares me
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
kiera
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default My tap water scares me

Sooo I finally got around to testing my tap water because I'll be ordering plants this week. My results weren't surprising given the water report from my local water authority, but I am concerned about plants and especially fish.

My pH direct from the tap is 7.6. The fish I want to keep prefer a pH of 5-7 and the plants I'm interested in prefer about the same. The general advice seems to be that consistent pH is more important than the right number, but since the pH scale is logarithmic I'm a bit worried that my water is much too basic to use right out of the tap. (According to OCWA, my water authority, the pH can be as high as 8.4). Our water is moderately hard.

This is my first aquarium, and it will be low-tech (no CO2, EI fertz, light is probably about 70-75 PAR.) I'd like to avoid monkeying around with pH because I'm fairly certain that in a nano aquarium I'm likely to do more harm than good, but I'd also like to have happy, colorful fish and plants.

I've taken several chemistry classes and I can balance equations like a boss, but somehow the only thing I learned about pH was how to measure it and change it using acids and bases. Is it likely that the pH in my tank with plants and substrate will be different from the tap water I condition and put into it? Can pH change if water has been left out for 24-48 hours? Should I consider buying water from a grocery store or something? Am I worrying too much?

Maybe Buddhists shouldn't have fish tanks. I swear I have nightmares of burning, gasping, pale little fish swimming around in brown and yellow plant detritus. And I haven't even flooded my first tank.
kiera is offline   Reply With Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.