Turtle Tank (anyone keep them?)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 10-04-2012, 04:00 AM   #1
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Turtle Tank (anyone keep them?)

Ive had my YBS & Musk turtle for around 3 years now. Here is a shot of the old 40 gallon breeder tank and the new 125 gallon tank. I keep fish with them that are basically Culls , but id rather keep them in this tank than cull them.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
Elppan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I do not keep turtles but I love them! So cute! I've always wanted a musk turtle
Old 10-04-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Yeah he is my favourite. Stays small and full of character...what more could you ask for ?!

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
Old 10-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

I LOVE turtles! I have a motley crew of seven RES, two YBS, two African sidenecks, one red-cheek scorpion mud, one weird mud turtle with a cracked and healed shell my parents found on the road (they're not native here, so someone probably dumped her in the wetlands near their house), and my sweet Malaysian box turtle. We also have three boxies -- one Eastern and two Western. I had a sulcata, but my parents took him in because of the covenants in the idiotic neighborhood my husband and I moved to, and they also took my Russian tortoises and elongated tortoise. I LOVE your musk turtle! He's adorable! I specialized in chelonians when I worked in vet med. I miss seeing all of the wonderful (and unfortunately ill or injured) tortoises and turtles that would come through.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #5
JunJunJenn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

They don't eat or uproot plants?
JunJunJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
I LOVE turtles! I have a motley crew of seven RES, two YBS, two African sidenecks, one red-cheek scorpion mud, one weird mud turtle with a cracked and healed shell my parents found on the road (they're not native here, so someone probably dumped her in the wetlands near their house), and my sweet Malaysian box turtle. We also have three boxies -- one Eastern and two Western. I had a sulcata, but my parents took him in because of the covenants in the idiotic neighborhood my husband and I moved to, and they also took my Russian tortoises and elongated tortoise. I LOVE your musk turtle! He's adorable! I specialized in chelonians when I worked in vet med. I miss seeing all of the wonderful (and unfortunately ill or injured) tortoises and turtles that would come through.
Wow thats a lot of Turts ! The neigbourhood wont allow
turtles ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunJunJenn View Post
They don't eat or uproot plants?
Yep i feed them my plant trimmings from time to time, but the ones in the tank are all plastic ...... Hobby Lobby specials ;-)

Old 10-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Would like to see pics of their basking area
Old 10-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Its nothing special, just a piece of plexi glass with a AC plastic filter grid bent 45 degrees entering the water. My old 40 gallon breeder had plants inside but guess where they ended up ?

Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

No uvb lighting?
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
Acro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

I've got 2 turtles, one male Mississippi Map and one female Northern Red Belly Cooter. Their setup is simple now (I just moved) but I am upgrading their tank and I am going to set it up "pond style" with riparium planters, maybe some floaters (if I can find a floating plant they wont eat!) and maybe some plants in other baskets.

I have pictures of my turtles (and other stuff I've been wanting to post) but I don't know how to put up pictures here. I've asked in this link: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=192164 so if you know, please explain.
Acro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Several years ago I found a large red ear on the road and stopped my car to get him so he wouldn't get squashed. Kept him for about a year, and then released him into a stocked pond on the college property. He was around 16"
Old 10-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
No uvb lighting?
Yep , they have a Herpetoculture lamp above the homemade basking area which produces UVA & UVB rays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acro View Post
I've got 2 turtles, one male Mississippi Map and one female Northern Red Belly Cooter. Their setup is simple now (I just moved) but I am upgrading their tank and I am going to set it up "pond style" with riparium planters, maybe some floaters (if I can find a floating plant they wont eat!) and maybe some plants in other baskets.

I have pictures of my turtles (and other stuff I've been wanting to post) but I don't know how to put up pictures here. I've asked in this link: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=192164 so if you know, please explain.
Good luck finding a plant they wont eat ! Mine even try to eat plastic plants :-)
To upload pictures, try using photobucket. Upload pictures to there and copy and paste the picture to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Several years ago I found a large red ear on the road and stopped my car to get him so he wouldn't get squashed. Kept him for about a year, and then released him into a stocked pond on the college property. He was around 16"
That was a big girl by the sounds of it ! Good for you, i wonder if she is still living the dream in that pond ?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
rodcuda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

I have two red belly or painted turtles I keep in a 55gal barrel outside. I may make a setup inside for them at some point. They are only about 3 months old.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #14
mommabear1007
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I am so happy they made a reptile/amphibian section!!! so excited to see everyone's set ups!! I used to have two turtles. a RES and a mississippi map. I loved them dearly. Some day I will get another one. Your basking area idea is awesome!! And i agree w/ the person who asked to see pics of the basking area, I'd like to see them too

I tried to keep plants with mine but since you have to use such large rocks and the turtles aren't very gentle, I couldn't get them to root. They just floated. I wasn't very experienced then, I only knew about turtles. I think it could be done if you planted the plant in a tub and then surrounded it with the rocks. You would just have to make sure the plant isn't toxic to the turtle and you'd have to be ok with the fact that it was going to eat it. I'd love to see it done! It will be years and years before i'll be able to do anything like that.
mommabear1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
Wow thats a lot of Turts ! The neigbourhood wont allow
turtles ?
He's enormous and requires a very solidly fenced yard. The HOA prohibits any sort of fence (except stucco walls), and the area you can fence in with a wall is so minimal that Tomas would go insane. They're also working to prohibit any sort of animal that would require living outside more than 50% of the day. This neighborhood is completely unreasonable, though. Kids can't even have a rabbit in a hutch because it's considered "livestock". It has to live in the house and be box trained or whatever. Really ridiculous covenants!
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote