How to raise PSI in a dual guage regulator?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
KenRC51
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

How to raise PSI in a dual guage regulator?

I have the Aquatek dual guage regulator and I want to raise the PSI so I can use with my Super Atomizer.

Why do I want to raise the PSI? Because I noticed that I have to turn the needle valve pretty wide open so taht bubble can come out. Another thing is I find that it is wear that the bubble does not come out consistently. What I mean by consistently is that the bubble will come out pretty fast like 5 bubbles at a time and then pause for about 2 secs and then does the same thing.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

The short answer: You don't.

If your feeling brave, you take the thing apart and swap a different spring in that will yield a different set psi.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

It looks like the working pressure is fixed.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRC51 View Post
I have the Aquatek dual guage regulator and I want to raise the PSI so I can use with my Super Atomizer.

Why do I want to raise the PSI? Because I noticed that I have to turn the needle valve pretty wide open so taht bubble can come out. Another thing is I find that it is wear that the bubble does not come out consistently. What I mean by consistently is that the bubble will come out pretty fast like 5 bubbles at a time and then pause for about 2 secs and then does the same thing.
I suspect there is a leak in your system.

the Aquatek is a preset output pressure, I heard it is at 50psi(not personally own one), it is a smart thing to set the output pressure at 50psi because higher pressure can push through the super ceramic diffuser which is around 30psi back pressure, and higher output pressure at 50psi can increase the pressure difference in the whole system, thus flow rate is more steady if the back pressure swing.

under 50psi regulator output pressure, bubble rate still inconsistent or shift, and require wild open on the needle valve to increase the flow so the bubble can pass through the bubble counter, there must be a leak somewhere before the bubble counter, most of the co2 leak through that leak point.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post

the Aquatek is a preset output pressure, I heard it is at 50psi(not personally own one), it is a smart thing to set the output pressure at 50psi because higher pressure can push through the super ceramic diffuser which is around 30psi back pressure, and higher output pressure at 50psi can increase the pressure difference in the whole system, thus flow rate is more steady if the back pressure swing.

under 50psi regulator output pressure, bubble rate still inconsistent or shift, and require wild open on the needle valve to increase the flow so the bubble can pass through the bubble counter, there must be a leak somewhere before the bubble counter, most of the co2 leak through that leak point.
The aquatek I used to have was set to something like 23psi. They all very a little bit but I haven't heard of the standard one being above 30psi.

A leak is also a possibility
Old 10-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #6
KenRC51
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post

So you think when the bubble that is coming out inconsistent that means that I might have a bubble leak?

I remember checking when I got the regulator and there was no leak.

I'll check it again today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
The aquatek I used to have was set to something like 23psi. They all very a little bit but I haven't heard of the standard one being above 30psi.

A leak is also a possibility
My regulator shows that the PSI is one notch before to 40 PSI. So, about 38 PSI?

Question for those who has a Co2 system with the Super Atomizer diffuser.

Do you turn the needle valve more than you would if you had a regular glass diffuser?

Why I ask is because I have both ADA copy of the beetle glass diffuser and the super atomizer diffuser.

For the glass diffuser I only turn the needle valve just a little bit for the bubbles to start appearing.

For the Super atomizer diffuser, I would have to turn the needle valve at least 3 times or more than I would with the glass diffuser to get the bubbles to come out.

Is this normal?
Old 10-03-2012, 03:59 AM   #7
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

I would check all the connections from your reg in the tubing, everywhere.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #8
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Sounds like a soap bubble leak check is needed for sure.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #9
KenRC51
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok guys, thank you very much for those who suggest that I might have a leak. I went home and check and there sure was a leak at the brass bubble counter to the needle valve. I sprayed it with soapy water and a small bubble formed. I even had teflon tape wraped around it and it still leaked. So I redid the teflon tape and wraped it around like 4 times and then screw the bubble counter on and check for leaks again and no leak.

Since leak is fixed not I still find a very very small inconsistent bubble counter. For example at 1 bubble per second the 4th or 5th bubble come out about 1.25 second later than the others. Before the leakage was fix the bubble would even waited as long as 2 second before the other bubble come out at 1 bubble per second. Is this normal?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Some are, or were, adjustable. From the comments, apparently they all weren't.
The part with the Aquatek logo is/was a cap that covered the adjustment screw.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
KenRC51
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbosman@msu.edu View Post
Some are, or were, adjustable. From the comments, apparently they all weren't.
The part with the Aquatek logo is/was a cap that covered the adjustment screw.
I actually don't need to adjust the PSI anymore. The leak I had was the problem. After I fixed the leak my PSI went up a notch. From 38 PSI to 40 PSI. I don't see any problems with my Super Atomizer anymore. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
AndreyT
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
What kind of Aquatek?

There are adjustable Aquatec regulators (they call them "Deluxe" or "Premium") and non-adjustable (fixed pressure) Aquatec regulators. Both can easily be dual-gauge. If you regulator has a triangular knob on the front, it is adjustable. If it has a round cylindrical cover instead, it is non-adjustable.

Non-adjustable regulators use a different design (piston-based instead of membrane-based). They can be "tuned" to a different fixed pressure by installing a stronger internal spring, but usually it makes more sense to just buy an adjustable regulator.
AndreyT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #13
KenRC51
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
What kind of Aquatek?

There are adjustable Aquatec regulators (they call them "Deluxe" or "Premium") and non-adjustable (fixed pressure) Aquatec regulators. Both can easily be dual-gauge. If you regulator has a triangular knob on the front, it is adjustable. If it has a round cylindrical cover instead, it is non-adjustable.

Non-adjustable regulators use a different design (piston-based instead of membrane-based). They can be "tuned" to a different fixed pressure by installing a stronger internal spring, but usually it makes more sense to just buy an adjustable regulator.
I bought the Aquatek regulator before they come out with the premium model (triangle nob). Mine was the brass cap with circle green aquatek sticker. It is not adjustable.

I need this question answers from member here that use a super atomizer and a regular glass diffuser.

When using the super atomizer (like the gla one) do you turn the needle valve more than you would if you were to use the glass diffuser?

Tags
aquatek, bubble counter, co2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.