Ammonia Still High
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 10-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Ammonia Still High

Ive started a new tank and i know about the whole cycle process.
Im using two rena XP-3 from another established tank on this 75 gallon tank for almost 1 week now and my readings are the following:

Ph 7.0
Nitrate 5.0
Nitrite 0.25
Ammonia 1.0/2.0

Ive been doing 50% water changes every other day and the ammonia still keeps going back up. How long is it expected to stay this high ? I have 1 platy in the tank that i used as a dither fish for my Kribensis tank, he doesnt seem to be struggling at all. I have tested the water 4 times in the last 2 days so i know the readings are correct.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

What are you using as a source of ammonia? a 75g with 1-2ppm of ammonia is a lot for 1 platy. lol.

When you are doing the 50% water changes, what are you treating the water with? Prime will give a false/positive on ammonia tests, so if you are changing 50% of the water, then treating with prime, then testing a bit later or even the next day, it will show a false/positive. Maybe hold off on the water changes for a few days and then test and see what the readings are. Other alternative is to get the seachem total/free ammonia test which will test and show what the true ammonia and ammonium levels are. Ammonium is the byproduct of prime binding with the chlorine.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

I knew it was a lot of Ammonia but couldnt understand why. I am using Prime during WC , ill give it a few days and try again. Thank you

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Try Seachem's ammonia test.. you can test free ammonia and total ammonia so if you're experiencing ammonia showing up on your API test because of chloramines in your tap creating ammonium when prime is added, you can still see what your actual (harmful) ammonia level is.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Ok today i tested and i have different results....

Ph 6
Ammonia 0.50/1.0
Nitrate 5.0
Nitrite 0.25

The platy is still swimming around looking fine, except due to not feeding him for 3 days he gets excited when i go near the tank LOL

I just did a test on Ammonia straight from the tap and it reads maybe a slightly darker yellow than the 0 ppm but not as dark as 5.0 so i think maybe 1 more week and fish should be good to slowly introduce.....man this has taken forever !

Old 10-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Remove the fish.

Do the fishless cycle.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
SittingBull79
Algae Grower

Sorry to hijack the thread. Just a question. My tank is undergoing cycling and due to the Amazonia New subtrate, ammonia levels are as high as 6ppm. That being said, should i still dose Nitrate (plants are melting a little) since ammonia will eventually be converted into Nitrate and i want to avoid over-dosage.
SittingBull79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
Sotty
Planted Member

Plants will generally preferentially utilize the ammonia over nitrates. They will still need phos and potassium though.
Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #9
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Do not add nitrate when there is ammonia in the tank. Ammonia from the ADA products will work just fine to grow nitrifying bacteria, but I would do water changes if the ammonia reaches 5 ppm, and test also for nitrites. These bacteria do not do well when the NO2 is over 5 ppm.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote