General Chat - Talk about anything! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 04:15 AM   #16
philemon716
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 268
Default

Thanks Al.

I opened up the filter and it was already full of water. Plugged it back in...made a big splash sound, but still no flow. Any other suggestions?
philemon716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #17
philemon716
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 268
Default

Will try messing with the impeller. Should I be cleaning out this filter at all? it's only been 3 months.
philemon716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #18
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
VivaDaWolf's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 843
Default

Had to prime my eheim once by holding the um, canister almost upside down for a little while. 20 sec ish?
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #19
philemon716
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 268
Default

Ended up taking it apart, emptying the water out and refilling it again - did the job. The filter spewed out so much debris after restarting it...however the power is back!
philemon716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 AM   #20
DeLaFe
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 146
Default

I was a member of BAS for many years. It is an amazing club with a lot of great people and top notch events. The auctions are pretty good as well.

I keep meaning to go to a meeting, but life keeps getting in the way! I would recommend BAS to anyone... EXCELLENT reef keeping talks as well as fresh water.

Alfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettasusa View Post
The membership sounds interesting. Is anyone here a member of the BAS? I'd be interested in joining and knowing if there are other betta people around. I think I'm going to go to this too. Thanks for the heads up
DeLaFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #21
aokashi
Wannabe Guru
 
aokashi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 1,490
Default

@viva... air out your terrarium from time to time usually helps XD
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #22
Mr. Limpet
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mr. Limpet's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettasusa View Post
The membership sounds interesting. Is anyone here a member of the BAS? I'd be interested in joining and knowing if there are other betta people around. I think I'm going to go to this too. Thanks for the heads up
At last month's BAS auction there were Betta midas & Betta rubra, plus some elephant ear & mustard gas Betta splendens. I picked up a trio of Oryzias woworae for $4.00 & three CPDs for $3.00. The October & May auctions are the largest of the year, with tons of amazing fish & plants.
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #23
DeLaFe
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 146
Default

Three reasons why every New Yorker that keeps fish should join BAS:

1. EXCELLENT events and auctions with top notch speakers.
2. INCREDIBLE people that go out of their way to help. I met several very good friends at BAS, one was a major author and scientist that helped me set-up my 180 gallon reef tank, another was co-author of one of the "bibles" of reef keeping and he gave me a free behind the scene tours of the Waikiki aquarium when I went to Hawaii and there are MANY others I got to know throughout the years.
3. VERY ACTIVE club with many Special Interest Groups (SIGs) that meet monthly and very active members. I would be surprised if there were not a Betta SIG, if not, you can always speak to them and get one started! It is the oldest and largest aquarium club in the United States.

Oh, one more- it is at the New York Aquarium and they have cool events every once in a while where you get to see and do things at the aquarium.

Alfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
At last month's BAS auction there were Betta midas & Betta rubra, plus some elephant ear & mustard gas Betta splendens. I picked up a trio of Oryzias woworae for $4.00 & three CPDs for $3.00. The October & May auctions are the largest of the year, with tons of amazing fish & plants.
DeLaFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #24
cprash
Keeper of Pencilfish
 
PTrader: (20/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 557
Send a message via AIM to cprash
Default

Hey Alfred, when did you join? I signed up for BAS in June but never got confirmation of membership or anything from them. Should I email them or...?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaFe View Post
Three reasons why every New Yorker that keeps fish should join BAS:

1. EXCELLENT events and auctions with top notch speakers.
2. INCREDIBLE people that go out of their way to help. I met several very good friends at BAS, one was a major author and scientist that helped me set-up my 180 gallon reef tank, another was co-author of one of the "bibles" of reef keeping and he gave me a free behind the scene tours of the Waikiki aquarium when I went to Hawaii and there are MANY others I got to know throughout the years.
3. VERY ACTIVE club with many Special Interest Groups (SIGs) that meet monthly and very active members. I would be surprised if there were not a Betta SIG, if not, you can always speak to them and get one started! It is the oldest and largest aquarium club in the United States.

Oh, one more- it is at the New York Aquarium and they have cool events every once in a while where you get to see and do things at the aquarium.

Alfred
__________________
-Calvin
cprash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #25
DeLaFe
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 146
Default

I was a member from about 93 to about 2000. I signed up when in person. You probably should send them an email, especially if you have not received anything in the mail from them.

I keep planning to go to a meeting, but life gets in the way. One time I ended up being hospitalized, another time it fell on a week I was out of town on vacation, etc.

It is a bit of a hike though. So I suggest sign up with a friend that has a car and LOVES fish. LOL I used to go via the D train, but driving there is much better.

Alfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprash View Post
Hey Alfred, when did you join? I signed up for BAS in June but never got confirmation of membership or anything from them. Should I email them or...?
DeLaFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #26
cprash
Keeper of Pencilfish
 
PTrader: (20/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 557
Send a message via AIM to cprash
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaFe View Post
I was a member from about 93 to about 2000. I signed up when in person. You probably should send them an email, especially if you have not received anything in the mail from them.

I keep planning to go to a meeting, but life gets in the way. One time I ended up being hospitalized, another time it fell on a week I was out of town on vacation, etc.

It is a bit of a hike though. So I suggest sign up with a friend that has a car and LOVES fish. LOL I used to go via the D train, but driving there is much better.

Alfred
Thanks! I figure when they do have a meeting, I'll make a trip of it and see the NY Aquarium too.
__________________
-Calvin
cprash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #27
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
VivaDaWolf's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 843
Default

The aquarium rocks, I went last Friday. Doesnt hurt to live only 3 stops from coney island. Its free friday afternoons and I love it there. I can recognize a lot of fw fish now which makes it even more exciting- they have these biotopes from the amazon, brazil, malawi, etc.
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #28
cprash
Keeper of Pencilfish
 
PTrader: (20/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 557
Send a message via AIM to cprash
Default

That sounds awesome. I haven't been there since the fourth grade.
__________________
-Calvin

Last edited by cprash; 10-02-2012 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: spelling
cprash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #29
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!
 
bitFUUL's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grolando
Posts: 1,317
Default

__________________

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #30
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं
 
acitydweller's Avatar
 
PTrader: (174/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,660
Default

LMAO.... so AWESOME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
__________________
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012