What do I need?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
Fallen_Nightmare
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What do I need?

Hey everyone! I am looking into turning my tank into a planted tank. I have a filter, lighting, a heater, and a DIY CO2 system. What would I need to use for substrate? I already have gravel that I plan to mix in with the plant substrate to make it higher in some places. What type of substrate do you guys suggest? I am going to a fish store that are all about fish this weekend and need a list of supplies. Is EcoComplete good to use?
Fallen_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I have eco-complete in my 5G Betta tank, and I would only recommend it if it was cheap for you to obtain. It's good stuff, and my plants seem to like it, but I think it's too coarse and some of it is magnetic, so it sticks to my magnetic thermometer and scratches the acrylic in my tank...

I really like this stuff I just put in my new 10G tank, called CaribSea Super Naturals - found it at petsmart, and it's like a black sand.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3956163

It's very pretty and plants seem to hold well in it. Good luck with your tank! Start reading and get ready to be blown away by the amount of information on this forum! I'd also recommend starting a tank journal thread -- it's been a lot of help having random people come in and comment on things going on with my tanks
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Fallen_Nightmare
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8nite View Post
I have eco-complete in my 5G Betta tank, and I would only recommend it if it was cheap for you to obtain. It's good stuff, and my plants seem to like it, but I think it's too coarse and some of it is magnetic, so it sticks to my magnetic thermometer and scratches the acrylic in my tank...

I really like this stuff I just put in my new 10G tank, called CaribSea Super Naturals - found it at petsmart, and it's like a black sand.

It's very pretty and plants seem to hold well in it. Good luck with your tank! Start reading and get ready to be blown away by the amount of information on this forum! I'd also recommend starting a tank journal thread -- it's been a lot of help having random people come in and comment on things going on with my tanks
I just called my local petsmart and they said that they have many different types of that substrate. Do you suggest having that type of substrate with another type? Or will root tabs and that type of substrate be fine alone? Did you use just Suprer Naturals or did you add something else to it?
I plan to make a tank journal thread once I get the supplies, it looks interesting. Thank you for your help. Anyone else have an idea?

I was first looking at this:
http://www.amazon.com/CaribSea-Eco-C.../dp/B0002DH0QM

Last edited by Fallen_Nightmare; 09-24-2012 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Didn't finish
Old 09-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=153412

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Fallen_Nightmare
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Thank you!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
Fallen_Nightmare
Algae Grower

Does this combination go well together?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753891

I want to use sand for my loach but also want plants to grow. What do you guys think?
Old 09-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #7
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Plants will grow fine in either of those. Keep in mind if you're mixing substrates that they won't stay "separate" for long. Water changes, fish, moving plants around when you're not happy with them, etc, will all cause the substrate to shift around. I think that even if that happens, those two will look pretty cool together.
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Fallen_Nightmare
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8nite View Post
Plants will grow fine in either of those. Keep in mind if you're mixing substrates that they won't stay "separate" for long. Water changes, fish, moving plants around when you're not happy with them, etc, will all cause the substrate to shift around. I think that even if that happens, those two will look pretty cool together.
I think I'll use the Sand Substrate because I have gravel to make hills too. I didn't see that CaribSea was a substrate, so plants will grow in it.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Curt_914
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Just my 2 cents. I have used just about every planted tank substraight there is out there. It all depends on the types of plants you want to grow. Florite is a very good substraight but I dont like it very much for corys or loachs. The Caribsea flora max is also good but very similar to florite. If your not doing a whole lot of moving around the Caribsea Supernaturals is there Tahitian moon sand or a black sand. I like it very much just add root tabs for your root feeders. It is a good size and dosent seem to irritate the skin on the corries or loachs I have kept.

Of course if price is no issue I would go with ADA Aquasoil all day. Most all of my tanks will eventually be convertied to that or the " Dirty Tank Method" where you use a poting soil caped with a gravel. Most all my tanks are long term tanks as I dont like to keep pulling things up.

good luck and let us know what your doing.
Curt
Curt_914 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
Fallen_Nightmare
Algae Grower

Okay thanks!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
Fallen_Nightmare
Algae Grower

Just to keep you all updated, I decided to go with regular gravel then add root tabs and keep a constant supply of Co2. Ill post photos soon. There are no plants in there, I wanted to wait a while untill I decided to buy plants.

Tags
ecocomplete, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.