Hex 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
flutterbug
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hex 5

Changing my daughter's 5 gallon Hex to a planted tonight. Put a thin layer of peat then a 2" layer of pool filter sand. Replaced the bulb to a 10 watt CFL 6500K Daylight Bulb from Petco. What kind of light will this tank be? I am assuming low light? Haven't filled it yet because I'm not sure I am satisfied with what I've done so far.

55 gallon
flutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

It will definitely be low light. I have one with a 13w cfl and the plants grow really slow until they get near the top. They do grow though. One thing I would recommend is to switch out the filter as the one it comes with blocks a lot of light. I took that out and cut out a strip of plastic from the top rim which allowed me to put an ac20 on the back. I can take a picture tomorrow if you want to see what I mean. This is assuming of course that you're talking about the Marineland kit.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:46 AM   #3
flutterbug
Algae Grower

Cool yes it is the Marineland kit and I would love to see a pic! I was thinking the filter was probably going to block a lot of light! I was looking at the Sylvania 13 watt bulbs at lowes but I was woriied they wouldn't fit. Is that what you use?

55 gallon
Old 09-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't have mine set up right now, but here's a picture of the rim. If you compare it to yours you'll see the area I cut out. And yes, they are the sylvania bulbs. Here's the link to the ones I bought: http://www.lowes.com/pd_302424-3-26965_4 They're pretty small, I have one in a 2.5g mini bow hood as well.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
flutterbug
Algae Grower

Thanks for the pic now I understand. Yup those are the same bulbs I was looking at. I also have a 2.5 gallon that I could do in the future. Do you think there is a big difference between those and the one I'm using? http://www.petco.com/product/111943/...t=OnSiteSearch
I ended up filling the tank last night. Then this morning I decided to chang things around.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Since you already have the zoo med one, I say try it and see how the plants do. You can always switch to the Sylvania ones if you aren't happy with yours or when it needs replaced.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
flutterbug
Algae Grower

Here is a picture of it from last night. The Zoo Med Bulb already burnt out the night before last! I was trying to turn the light on for a picture (by turning the timer) and it flickered then wouldn't turn on. I do have it on a timer and noticed the replacement Sylvania Power Compact bulbs I bought says on the package that they recommend not to use with a timer because it shortens life. hmm

There is actually some plants in the front foreground but the picture totally washes them out. I tried a few DHG and some Baby Tears.

55 gallon

Last edited by flutterbug; 09-27-2012 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: Added
Old 12-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
flutterbug
Algae Grower

Red face Update

Updated picture. I am starting to like it much more now. We put in 10 Fire Shrimp from a TPT member and they are doing very well. We also added an Oto.

55 gallon