good heater for Flubal Ebi/Flora?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

good heater for Flubal Ebi/Flora?

Hi all -

I love my Fluval Ebi so much! But with the internal filter and now a heater in there it's starting to look kind of cramped. I am considering doing an external filter, like one of those little Tom's deals, which I think would work well.

But what about a heater? Is there anything that is super discreet and small that could handle this little tank? It's only 7 gallons but my current heater (basic Eheim glass kind of heater) looks super huge in there!

I would even be ok with one of those heaters that is permanently set to 77 degrees, etc. Anyone have a nice setup for a tank this size they'd like to share??

thanks, Dave

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (402/100%)

What livestock do you have in the tank and how much flow do you want/need? That'll dictate filtration. Personally, I wouldn't use anything smaller than an Eheim 2213 if you're going the canister route. But that's my preference.

As far as heat... regardless of what you choose, it's wise to use a temperature controller in conjunction with your heater to prevent problems down the road. A note on heat: Depending upon the livestock you've got, a heater may not even be necessary.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

The tank is essentially dedicated to the 2 dwarf puffers that live in it. There are also a bunch of Ramshorns/MTS and some yellow shrimp that live in the tank, but those are mainly there for the puffers to snack on.

So, the puffers like good filtration but they are pretty small and with live plants, shrimp, and snails the tank seems to stay very clean/stable with the little internal filter I got with the Ebi. Everyone is healthy.

An Eheim 2213 seems like it would be incredible overkill in this little tank Even the internal filter that came with the tank causes too much flow in the tank - it's windy in there!

I am looking at some HOB filters, too, and they might to the trick. But, I can't take off the glass top (curious cats) so I would probably need to make a cutaway in the glass top to fit one.

The puffers seem to like things pretty warm in the tank. They are more mellow, have nicer colors, and seem happy at around 80 degrees and since my house isn't air conditioned and it's hot in the summers, I try to run my tanks on the warm side rather than the cool side. 78 or 80 would be fine.

For cosmetic purposes, what I really want is to get everything out of the tank. I would love to find an little canister filter that is easy to deal with and would fit underneath, then some heater that was either super discreet, could build into the filter, something like that. But, tricky to find the right setup!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

The beauty of Eheim filters (and many other canisters, actually) is that flow can be metered to suit your needs. I used a 2213 on my Ebi that housed shrimp at times and tiny fish at others. Absolutely no issues. Definitely not overkill. A 2211 could also suit your needs but there's no room for growth and you really couldn't use it on a larger tank if you decided, say, to get a 12gal tank in the future. Use of a spray bar is a good idea if you don't go the lily pipe route.

If you select an HOB, go with an AC 20. Or, really, an AC30, because the tank is rather tall for such a small volume of water. You could cheaply have a piece of glass cut (complete with rounded front corners) to serve as a new top if you do that.

If you get a heater, definitely get one that allows you to adjust the temperature. There are infinity brands from which to select. Just don't skimp on that front and get a temperature controller no matter what you do.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Most of the internal filters are going to be ok, if you went canister route you would need to have the top modified to fit. I have a 501 on my fora, and the flow is lite. I wanted to go with the one size above the 501 but it was a bit pricey. Look at the toms internal filter, it might do the trick for you. Or if you can go topless with the tank the 501 and 511 are good little canisters. For the heater, I have one of the fluval silver heaters, it is pretty hidden since it reflects whats in the tank, very nice heater keeps temps exactly where they should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
Hi all -

I love my Fluval Ebi so much! But with the internal filter and now a heater in there it's starting to look kind of cramped. I am considering doing an external filter, like one of those little Tom's deals, which I think would work well.

But what about a heater? Is there anything that is super discreet and small that could handle this little tank? It's only 7 gallons but my current heater (basic Eheim glass kind of heater) looks super huge in there!

I would even be ok with one of those heaters that is permanently set to 77 degrees, etc. Anyone have a nice setup for a tank this size they'd like to share??

thanks, Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
The tank is essentially dedicated to the 2 dwarf puffers that live in it. There are also a bunch of Ramshorns/MTS and some yellow shrimp that live in the tank, but those are mainly there for the puffers to snack on.

So, the puffers like good filtration but they are pretty small and with live plants, shrimp, and snails the tank seems to stay very clean/stable with the little internal filter I got with the Ebi. Everyone is healthy.

An Eheim 2213 seems like it would be incredible overkill in this little tank Even the internal filter that came with the tank causes too much flow in the tank - it's windy in there!

I am looking at some HOB filters, too, and they might to the trick. But, I can't take off the glass top (curious cats) so I would probably need to make a cutaway in the glass top to fit one.

The puffers seem to like things pretty warm in the tank. They are more mellow, have nicer colors, and seem happy at around 80 degrees and since my house isn't air conditioned and it's hot in the summers, I try to run my tanks on the warm side rather than the cool side. 78 or 80 would be fine.

For cosmetic purposes, what I really want is to get everything out of the tank. I would love to find an little canister filter that is easy to deal with and would fit underneath, then some heater that was either super discreet, could build into the filter, something like that. But, tricky to find the right setup!
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Note about modifying the glass cover: it's not necessary if you place tubing near the back of the tank. You can easily rest the back portion of the glass on top of any pipes. If there's rattling, you can wrap a piece of clear tubing over the pipe for the glass to rest on.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Note about modifying the glass cover: it's not necessary if you place tubing near the back of the tank. You can easily rest the back portion of the glass on top of any pipes. If there's rattling, you can wrap a piece of clear tubing over the pipe for the glass to rest on.
Im picky with things lol It would drive me crazy if the lid was not fitting flush with the top of the tank. I just went topless, works great.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

I can't be topless - my cats just won't allow it. So, that's not an option.

Having the top modified seems pretty easy, though. I can swing by the glass shop with a cutout drawn on the glass with a sharpy, and they'll cut it out for me for 10 bucks. Glass is easy to work with. So, modifying the top doesn't bother me at all.

Having an HOB also seems a little safer, in a way, because a leak wouldn't drain the whole tank into my office carpet. Maybe I'll do an AC 20 and see how that goes.

I couldn't never live with the glass top resting on a tube I need everything ship shape, perfect fit, right angles, etc. or I'l never be satisfied.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:49 AM   #9
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

My fiancee's Ebi has the Fluval Edge heater in it, it's fairly small and sleek looking. However it is non-adjustable and kind of expensive for what you get.

We also have a Hydor Mini Heater that we have used for small tanks like this, it's 15 watt and thin, about 1/8" thick, basically a rectangular heat pad. We used it for a 7-8 gallon frog enclosure in a cool basement and it worked great slipped under the gravel.
http://www.hydor.com/prodotti/show/famprod/10/list/3
blink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #10
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

Those heat pad kind of heaters are attractive because they are so easy to hide, but I am curious what the temps would be like in my tank. I'd certainly have to turn it off in summer, but I wonder how much fluctuation there would be in the winter. Does it keep a more stable temp than room temperature, or does it just add a few degrees to whatever the temp is in the room?

Old 09-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Don't go the heat pad route - it only increases temps to about 5 degrees above room temp. Invest in a high-quality heater that you can adjust. It's worth the $35.

And for filtration... the AC30 is quiter than the AC20. Since the flow is adjustable, it'd likely be a better buy if it's just a few more bucks.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
jjjjssss

I use a Zoomed canister with ball valves and it worls great.
jjjjssss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjjssss View Post
I use a Zoomed canister with ball valves and it worls great.
Do the hoses fit without cutting the glass? Modifying those little plastic brackets seems easy enough so it would be great if that was all I had to do!

Old 09-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
jjjjssss

I cut a 1x2 inch notch out of the back corner, it works really well. I added a couple of 1/2 in. quick disconnects. so it only takes a few min. to service the filter. It's small and i have it sitting on a desk behind the tank. It keeps the water really clear and you can control the flow into the tank. No tornado in the tank.
jjjjssss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjjssss View Post
I cut a 1x2 inch notch out of the back corner, it works really well. I added a couple of 1/2 in. quick disconnects. so it only takes a few min. to service the filter. It's small and i have it sitting on a desk behind the tank. It keeps the water really clear and you can control the flow into the tank. No tornado in the tank.
That sounds really good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.