Need help deciding on Finnex
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Old 08-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Need help deciding on Finnex

I keep seeing things about Finnex products and everything seems to be great. My newest project is going to be a nano tank. I'm deciding on possibly a 30-c (12x12x12) or a Mini-L tank, nothing larger than that. I'm thinking of trying the px-360 for sure with the tank but the lights are where I'm lost. I want medium light I'm thinking. I don't plan on injecting co2 but I do plan on adding excel instead. I'm really want to be able to have a carpet of some sort. HC, DHG, or even a micro sword like lilaeopsis or some sort. What finnex lights would make this possible? I don't want high lighting. I want medium lights at most. I don't want to have a high maintenance high tech tank. I'm thinking a mineralized soil tank with sand cap, don't really want to dose ferts, just want this to be a simple non co2 tank. I'm only planning to add excel because I figure some source of carbon will help with my low tech attempt at growing a carpet type plant like listed. Would the fugeray be a good choice? What size would I need and are they adjustable widths? Or should I just go with the epoch clip light? I really think leds would look nicer though, just don't want to spend a ton on lights, trying to keep the tank lower budget and as simple as I can for what I want. Also maybe the mighty ray 21 would work too? Any par readings on these lights and what would they be considered as far as lighting specs (low, medium, or high lighting) Thank you very much. I really hope I can get help on pulling the trigger on some finnex equipment.
Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
PRSRocker3390 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Unwavering
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I use the 12" FugeRay on my 30c and I'm quite happy with the results. I get excellent growth, but I'm also using ferts and injecting CO2 so I can't speak to the results you might see without those things.
I know there's a post somewhere here that reviews the FugeRay, but I can't find it right now. If I manage to stumble across it, I'll update this with a link.
From what I was able to find when I was choosing the lighting for my tank, the FugeRay puts out 38-42 PAR at the substrate (low end of medium lighting) which is why I finally chose it and I'm glad I did.

Found it: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=173593

Last edited by Unwavering; 08-07-2012 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: spelling
Unwavering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

Awesome first post! I appreciate it! Any pics of the tank by chance? Or if you don't mind, what plants do you have growing in that tank?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Unwavering
Algae Grower

This is my TANK from a 6 or so weeks ago. Eventually I'll get around to updating the pictures.

Since these pictures, my Ludwigia Ovalis has taken off quite nicely (barely noticeable in the pics). And my Dwarf Lilly apparently doesn't understand the term 'dwarf' because it's constantly shooting out 5-6" leaves that reach the waters surface in just a couple of days. Also, once they arrive, I'll be adding some ludwigia sp red to help soak up some excess iron in my water column, courtesy of myth1n over at reddit/r/plantedtank. I'm pretty excited about them. Here's the pic he sent me : ludwigia sp red, I doubt I'll be able to maintain that level of redness with my medium lighting, but I'm sure they'll look great anyway.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for that post. Tank looks really great! Those lights also look really nice as well! Are the legs on the light fixture adjustable at all?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
Unwavering
Algae Grower

Thanks. Yes, the legs are adjustable. It would easily work on any smaller tank and would probably fit up to a 14" tank (rough estimate).
Old 08-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwavering View Post
I use the 12" FugeRay on my 30c and I'm quite happy with the results. I get excellent growth, but I'm also using ferts and injecting CO2 so I can't speak to the results you might see without those things.
I know there's a post somewhere here that reviews the FugeRay, but I can't find it right now. If I manage to stumble across it, I'll update this with a link.
From what I was able to find when I was choosing the lighting for my tank, the FugeRay puts out 38-42 PAR at the substrate (low end of medium lighting) which is why I finally chose it and I'm glad I did.

Found it: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=173593

Thanks for the help while I was out! You sure you're not a Finnex associate that I don't know about???

Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
Lowe
Finnex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwavering View Post
Thanks. Yes, the legs are adjustable. It would easily work on any smaller tank and would probably fit up to a 14" tank (rough estimate).
If you're not planning on CO2 I would recommend the FugeRay on a 12"deep fixture unless you have hanging options?

Old 08-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
Crispino L Ramos
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)

The Mighty Ray 21 is not bright enough even for a reading lamp. It might be okay for a one gallon cube.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
Unwavering
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
Thanks for the help while I was out! You sure you're not a Finnex associate that I don't know about???
Just a satisfied customer.

Bit while I have your attention, because of how impressed I am with Finnex lighting fixtures, I decided to check out your heaters when mine quit on me. Specifically the HMO-50 for my 7.5gal. The heater itself seems to have everything I'm looking for and the price is right, but the customer reviews leave me somewhat concerned. Today I learned that Finnex heaters only carry a 180 day waranty and from what I've read people seem to have issues as soon as the warranty expires. I guess my question is, why does Finnex offer such a short warranty period when others offer warranties of up to 5 years (Fluval for example)?

*sorry to hijack the thread.

Last edited by Unwavering; 08-09-2012 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: My phone is strange
Old 08-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
Lowe
Finnex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispino Ramos View Post
The Mighty Ray 21 is not bright enough even for a reading lamp. It might be okay for a one gallon cube.
Correct. Though the PAR numbers are high directly under this fixture, the spread is not great and you may look elsewhere especially for wider tanks.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

So the fugeray would be my best choice I see for any nano tank I'm looking at

Last edited by PRSRocker3390; 08-28-2012 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: wrote the wrong fixture model name
Old 09-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #13
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So is the length (like Ray II 18" DD) the total length of the fixture? because 18" is about an quarter of an inch off each side of my tank (it's a topless fluval edge 6g L-16 7/8th W-10 1/8th H-8 6/8th).

I'm trying to squeeze for the 18" so i can have DD instead of DB.
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote