Eco-Complete or ADA Aquasoil? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 09-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #16
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kribkeeper888 View Post
You dont need any more then 2" for those plants if you were planting large sword plants then you might want 3 inches otherwise you dont need it. And you could add powder just cuz i think it makes it look better.
So you think the Aquasoil and Powder would be sufficient? I hate to set this all up then realize I should have added the powersand haha
Gafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
Curt_914
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

If it were me I would use some powersand It is in the system for a reason. It helps to keep the lower portion of the soil from becoming anarobic. it is acctually a pumice stone base and not really so much a sand. at least thats how I see it. In my next build I am going to use Aqua soil personally. I have florite black, eco complete, and floramax that I have all used in the past and sufficeive to say I have been dissapointed. If I would have just coughed up the extra 10 bucks a bag I would have been happier.

Curt
Curt_914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good discussion here....anyone know how many bags of the PowerSand i would need for a 48x18x24 tank? Looks like there is small, medium and large size granules...it also seems like I can only get the 2 litre bags of the large size at my location, any thoughts?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #19
Curt_914
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

That size tank you will need the medium/large and probable need about 9-12L. You just need a thin layer on the botom of the tank just to cover the botom.

Curt
Curt_914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #20
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

my other question, is if I go with Eco-complete....how deep should the substrate bed be? 3"? 4"?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #21
kribkeeper888
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafi View Post
my other question, is if I go with Eco-complete....how deep should the substrate bed be? 3"? 4"?
for one dont go with eco complete. Its not all that much better honestly then sand. Amazonia or other ADA soils are amazing compared to. deff worth the cost. And again. you dont NEED 3" of substrate unless you have very large plants unless you like the deep substrate look.

Just realized it was a 90 gal which is the same as my 75 pretty much.I got 5 bags of amazonia thinking i would need them all but i ended up using 3.5 9L bags.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #22
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
for one dont go with eco complete. Its not all that much better honestly then sand. Amazonia or other ADA soils are amazing compared to. deff worth the cost. And again. you dont NEED 3" of substrate unless you have very large plants unless you like the deep substrate look.

Just realized it was a 90 gal which is the same as my 75 pretty much.I got 5 bags of amazonia thinking i would need them all but i ended up using 3.5 9L bags.
you said earlier you used 1/3 inch of power sand for your 75....how many bags of PS was that? I can only order the large size in 2L bags....dont want to overbuy it as its like $35/bag
Old 09-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #23
kribkeeper888
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
you said earlier you used 1/3 inch of power sand for your 75....how many bags of PS was that? I can only order the large size in 2L bags....dont want to overbuy it as its like $35/bag
I didnt use bags. I was able to get volcanic "power" sand for free. 3 bags might do it for ya.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #24
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I didnt use bags. I was able to get volcanic "power" sand for free. 3 bags might do it for ya.
ok good to know....do you need to add any additives to the power sand....I have heard of things like Tourmaline BC, Penac P for Plants etc
Old 09-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #25
kribkeeper888
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
ok good to know....do you need to add any additives to the power sand....I have heard of things like Tourmaline BC, Penac P for Plants etc
You can, although bacteria will colonize ether way. Just slower.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #26
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Does the Aquasoil pose a problem if one likes to rescape frequently? How long will it take for the ADA Aquasoil to break down? Is the new formula better than the old?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #27
anson
Algae Grower

Quote:
Where did you find power sand for $35?
anson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #28
Minor Threat
Algae Grower

go for aquasoil. both are comparatively priced volume-wise. some users have reported ADA AS to last for 7+ years with EI.
Minor Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #29
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (175/100%)

Quote:
Does the Aquasoil pose a problem if one likes to rescape frequently? How long will it take for the ADA Aquasoil to break down? Is the new formula better than the old?
You'll likely get varying answers here but this what I've come up with on my research thus far.

Any capped or layered substrate with sand would be best not to be frequently disturbed so going that route, you sort of want to leAve them where they are once planted for best results.

Breakdown for active soils tends to depend on varying factors, plant density, thickness of substrate, mat of water changes, volume of aquarium, livestock density, etc... Some say a year, while others have much longer life supplementing with root tabs. Not scientifically measured by accounts ive come across. Some planted hobbyists are also less demanding where others would notice deficiencies within days... So you have to take this into account for the range of use.

Do your research and don't go by unsubstantiated recommendations to do one versus the other. If cost is a factor, consider the walstad method. Equally as enjoyable to read about without a corporAte brand behind it. Enjoy
Old 10-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #30
reefboi16
Algae Grower

Dunno what the concern with flourite and eco-complete being to "light" is all about, I have never had an issue with rooting plants, any plants as a matter of a fact. They all stay down. I guess aquasoil is ok. Not saying anything against it because I have never used it, I am just saying that flourtie does just fine.
reefboi16 is offline   Reply With Quote