Hair/Thread Algae - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 08-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #16
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanster View Post
I didn't know algae liked actinic bulbs ... I was doing research on them and people mostly said they weren't the most ideal but not necessarily bad. I will try to change them soon. 6000K bulbs?
I will also shorten the photo period a little. Thanks!
I had a reef fixure over my 54g corner tank with 4 t5ho 10'000k actinics and a 150w mh 10,000k. I had no algae.(the fixure was about 16" over the tank.

I now have 2 6700k bulbs over my 72g and I have tons of algae

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

algae is a simple organism.. it will use light the same as plants. blue light Penetrates further and thus will give you more usuable PAR at depth so that can be a cause of algae compared to other bulbs. but adjusting lighting levels, co2, or photoperiod can handle the difference

and to expound upon my earlier statement. I would START by not using the actinic bulbs. just the 2 10k and see what happens. lowering ur light level will reduce the need of nutrients to for the plants, this includes co2 which is the major nutrient as far as plant growth is concered.

u can also keep the lights and adjust by increasing c02. its a lot more tricky to handle and get right than just reducing light, which does reduce the need for co2 itself
Old 08-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #18
Shanster
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Shanster

Thanks for the help - I purchased new bulbs today. We'll see how it goes tomorrow, I also turned off the actinic bulbs for the day today and just used the other ones.

I also did a major cleaning of the tank and got a ton of the algae out. Hopefully if it comes back it will be less virulent.

"A house is not a home without a pet."
- Anonymous

Shanster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany08fa View Post
Is the moss removable from the tank? Take it out and treat it. If not removable spot treat it. Or you can always add shrimp. Shrimp keep moss pretty clean
Amanos and dwarf shrimp largely avoid this type of algae. If you see them on the algae, they are mostly grazing upon it and not actually eating it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.