i need help.leaves melting
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Tennessee

Old 09-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
fishaddiction
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i need help.leaves melting

I had a very well established 55 with a dual lamp fixture, 10k and aactinic bulb running 8 hours a day i upgraded to a 75 gallon.upgraded to a 4 bulb fixture.2 10,000k, 2 5,000k plant bulbs. I have the 10k on for 8 hours.11-9 and the 5k come on 1-5. I also did eco complete substrate the whole bottom other than the sand put some of my rock from the old tank in to start my bacteria colony.also have in root tabs for the plants..now my problem is some of the plants (crypt ,aponogeton, and Amazon sword have had a few leaves start to melt.i also use flourish excel once a week two caps full..any help will be greatly appreciated. I have all the pictures in my profile.but if i need to i will figure out how to post them on here.i am using my phone and its being stupid won't hit the choose file button
fishaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)

do you add any other ferts besides excel?? If not then I would start there in solving that problem. you should test the two things you can test, PO4 and NO3. But N P K is the basis of mostly all ferts..CO2 adds a strong need for a decent nutrient supply, if its low tech you can get away with little to no ferts, but with CO2 everything just eats up those nutrients, plus why are you adding Excel if you use CO2? It really has no ferts in it, just a chemical that suppresses algae and is suppose to be a source of carbon. Good product though!

Oh and when did you upgrade to a 75? is this recent? that would explain the crypts.

Last edited by sketch804; 09-15-2012 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: adding
sketch804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
tlyons01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

More than likely they are melting as they adjust to being uprooted and replanted. Mine go through this each time I move them around, so i have tied my hands behind my back to keep them out of the tank...Just my experience though
Fraternity of Dirt #75
Mud Pies~20 gallon
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
fishaddiction
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am not using co2 i wanted to start but have not put in the money for it.i moved apartments and wanted a bigger tank so i bought a 75.I'm loving it.so far it has only been two leaves on the crypt.hope no more go.i am using the excel just cause i thought it would help. And i am to scared iwill lose all my plants.I'm only using two caps full a week.
fishaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote