Anyone have any new projects?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 08-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Anyone have any new projects?

Well I'm trying to think of things to post in this Michigan tab to get to know other people in michigan.

So do you have any fish projects?

Well I'll start in the near future couple weeks or so I'm planning to move my tanks from my family room to my computer room. Right now I have 1 110g and 3 10 tanks up. I plan on moving the 110g and then empty the 3 10g and move them in the 50g.
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Stella Blue
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

No new aquarium projects here.... I'm just trying to keep up on all the water changes in this heat!!

I've been spending all my free time camping and working on projects around the house I love summer!!

Planning on rescaping my 75G with low maintenance plants in the next month or so!

Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
If your cup is full may it be again
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default New Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Well I'm trying to think of things to post in this Michigan tab to get to know other people in michigan.

So do you have any fish projects?

Well I'll start in the near future couple weeks or so I'm planning to move my tanks from my family room to my computer room. Right now I have 1 110g and 3 10 tanks up. I plan on moving the 110g and then empty the 3 10g and move them in the 50g.
Hello GM...

Maybe you could let the people in the "Great Lake State" and the state with the 8th largest population in the US, know about the benefits of using Chinese Evergreens to keep the aquarium water pure. Attached are a couple of my biotope tanks, I have several others. The land plants grow emersed and the roots take in the nutrients from the water like the dreaded ammonia and nitrites and limits the water changes needed to keep the water pure. Just use standard HOB filtration as a backup and the only tank water that needs to be removed is so you can service the filters regularly.

Saw your post and thought this might be a good subject for discussion. Might work since you're looking for subject material. If not, sorry to bother you.

B

Last edited by BBradbury; 08-22-2012 at 11:05 PM..
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Stella
I know what you mean about the heat. My 10s I just have a jug that I use to top of the water and with this heat it seems like I'm always behind. I also when camping and tubing it was a BLAST! The only thing that sucks is taking classes now it makes the summer go soooooooooo fast. I'll have to check out the 75g.

BBradbury

Hey I don't mind your posting. I think its cool the different ways people set up tanks like your saying adding plants above that suck up the ammonia its very interesting.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
ccbeauch
Algae Grower

I started a new project at the end of july/start of august. It is finally stable and everything is doing great! click the link in my signature to check it out.
The Fraternity of Dirt #98
72 Bow Front Dirted Planted Discus Tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...87#post1983187
Discus in Action! (new video 10 weeks in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWWy9ZzALLI
ccbeauch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

That's a great looking tank.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
Old 09-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
ccbeauch
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
That's a great looking tank.
Thanks. Its still a young tank but things are starting to work out great.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

That's good to hear.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
Old 09-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Locals

I'm starting a new tank, building a stand, and buying a new filter.

I'm thinking a penguin 200 or 350.

For what in all likely-hood will become a Guppy breeder.
It's a 29 Gallon tall.

Nice to know that there are some locals, at least state wise.

Also, Side note, took a review trip in the Saginaw area, hopefully it's helpful.
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
ccbeauch
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
I'm starting a new tank, building a stand, and buying a new filter.

I'm thinking a penguin 200 or 350.

For what in all likely-hood will become a Guppy breeder.
It's a 29 Gallon tall.

Nice to know that there are some locals, at least state wise.

Also, Side note, took a review trip in the Saginaw area, hopefully it's helpful.

I found it helpful. I do that little loop often and I'm glad I'm not missing any other LFS. Originally from the Metro Detroit area where we have an abundence of LFS.

I used a penguin in my 29 for 3 years and didn't have a single problem with it. It even supported discus for over a year before I got a bigger tank so that should do fine. Just make sure to cover the intake with a sponge or you might lose a fry guppy from time to time.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #11
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default late response

Finally got my filters penguin 150 and a 200.

Built my stand.

Then bought 2 15 gallon tanks that I plan on using as my breeder/quarantine tanks.

And finally got an API master test kit.

My accessory purchases from now on will be online as it's much, much cheaper for me.

But I am looking for local breeders with stock to move, anything docile will be considered.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Old 10-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
rk923
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hello fellow Michiganders!

I just bought a used 55g tank and I am currently buying all the accessories for it on a budget. I have found some screamin deals! I just got a 2x96w Compact Fluorescent light (48") for $50 off craigslist! I am working on getting a bigger canister filter next, hoping to win a Fluval 406 off ebay for $75 today! After that I have to get a couple more bags of Eco-Complete Planted Tank Substrate to add to the substrate I already have in my 29g tank. Then I am going to build my own custom stand for it and I will be all good to go except for C02. Not sure what I am going to do there... Currently on my 29g I am doing the DIY pop bottles with the classic sugar/yeast formula. But thats where I am at with the project. I am also going to paint the back of the tank either blue or black... Haven't decided yet. I am thinking black since it seems to really make the greens of the plants pop!
rk923 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
GGerhart
Algae Grower

I started a breeding project in my basement over the summer...It started with my kribenisis having babies and someone giving me their old 10g...Word got out that I was taking old tanks and after a few weeks I had 2 29g and 2 10g (on top of the 60g and 8g I already have).

I tried breeding GBR but even with my RO system I can't get my ph down enough.

So I moved on the some other fish:

So I'm hoping to breed:

And

With a current stock of fry from my Kribenisis:

I've never had a basement before moving to MI, so never had room for a breeding setup, I'm hoping it all works out
GGerhart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
Snailetta
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hey fellow Michiganders,

I'm nowhere near the tech level you guys are, but I'll share my mini projects. I have two 10g snail tanks, no CO2 or fancy lighting. One of them also has a few shrimp and I've dedicated it as my planted tank project. I made driftwood out of a cherry knothole I found in a woodpile. It had a chainsaw slit on the side, so I used that to anchor a java fern so you can't even see the slit now. It turned out surprisingly well and both snails and shrimp love to get inside the "cave." Since my dwarf hairgrass was a big fail, I discovered moss is my best friend. I put some bunches into shallow plastic dishes and let it grow really thick for a few months. Then I tied the pieces to flat rocks with fishing line. I put them under my bronze crypt and it actually looks like a little carpet. The shrimp love it. There's a pic in my profile.

Rainy day... I guess we're getting all the rain this fall that we didn't get all summer.

GO TIGERS!!!
Snailetta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 04:16 AM   #15
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Activity

Glad to hear people are doing things here.

If anyone isn't already there, Greatlakesaquaria is a great website for us Michiganders.

Lots of helpful people there.

My 20G long is finally stable I believe.

If I move at the end of this month, I'll try to quickly setup and cycle my tanks, taking excess fish from friends and relatives to stock them

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.