What is this ??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 09-13-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
xavinovic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

What is this ??

Hi, so I'm starting to notice every week I have to scrub my tank because it starts to get stain with some green/brownish stuff is that normal ?? Or is that some sore off algae?? I have a few plants recently added some new ones but I notice every week I do a 50% water change I see that green stuff on the grass/brownish stuff on the glass so I just scrub it off.
xavinovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
California
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Universe,Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,United States,California

It is algae. The brown stuff is something called diatoms, but calling it algae is just a misnomer. I'm guessing the water you add has high nitrates and/or phosphates, which is what algae thrives on (among other things like light). Aside from manual removal, you could try chemicals like Algae Destroyer by API, but don't use it if you have invertebrates. You'll still have to scrub up the dead algae.
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
cradleoffilthfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I would test your water, try to keep your nitrates above 0 (around between 10-20ppm) keep your phosphates no higher than 1ppm, make sure your ammonia is 0 nitrite 0, keep up with a large weekly water change 1/3 to 1/2 your tank volume weekly. Your algae will even out eventually. Get yourself a little algae clean up crew. I love snails, but most people don't, but I have a bunch of malaysian trumpet snails and I love them. I also have oto's and a siamensis. They keep the tank rather clean.
cradleoffilthfan is offline   Reply With Quote