"Compromises in 5g" - a shrimp scape
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
Rainer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Default "Compromises in 5g" - a shrimp scape

This will be a hardscape focused tank for shrimp intended as an exercise in minimalism and self control. I have a tendency in my other tanks to try doing too much so this will be a nice change in philosophy. Please don't be shy with comments, critiques, or suggestions.

The tank is a 5g crescent, which may offer unique challenges, and the water parameters are on the hard side - pH 7.6, dGH 8.3 - so my options are limited to neos, babaulti, and perhaps hardy tigers, plus snails or microcrabs.

Lighting is a Finnex 26w perched 12" above the PFS substrate. I don't want to use CO2, or even Excel, so a thin layer of floating plants may be necessary.

Below are pics of the planned layout while still dry, with a ruler and pen for scale.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1347588317848.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	53803

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1347588380099.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	53804

For plants, I'm thinking of mini-pellia for rock accents and a plain of mini-fissidens, notocyphus, or possibly peacock moss in the area between the three rocks, depending on the parameters that notocyphus can tolerate. The outer ring of the tank would be bare.

How to create such a plain requires further thought. The outlines of SS squares are too symmetrical and too flat. Perhaps small loose stones held together by a hair net?

As you can see, the rocks are not that tall. Floating plants with long roots - Amazon Frogbit or Dwarf Water Lettuce - would add a vertical component and bring the shrimp into the upper level of the water column.