DIY LED with MakersLED Heat Sink - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #16
Mike in MD
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very nice build
I built mine in the Living Room also, that's where working nights comes in handy with the better half

Mike
Mike in MD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 04:26 AM   #17
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Thanks! Yeah, it's a good thing the end product met with her approval, haha...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346646351.167686.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	53361

Totally forgot to add this here is the hanging hardware I used. All from the same aisle in Home Despot.
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #18
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There is a lot of green fuzzy stuff on my rocks! Reducing light duration from 10 to 8 hours, increasing ferts and CO2.

It's kind of pretty as it waves in the current, but it is smothering my plants. Grr... Trimmed everything down. Rotala is unstoppable. Looking at this, I think it would look better if the hydro were on the upper level and the grass on the lower front and up the center. I may do this if I get time. Sadly, my schedule goes bonkers this week, so I'll be an infrequent visitor for a while. I'll try to post progress when I have time!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347245380.726407.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	53662

Last edited by theblondskeleton; 09-10-2012 at 12:46 PM..
Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #19
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

I got my kit in, it's very very nice. I wish I didn't use thermal adhesive and just stuck to using thermal paste, because I need to add a few more LEDs and now they're stuck to the heatsink so I can't add more screws.
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 04:14 AM   #20
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh no! Well, there must be some way of removing it...
Old 09-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #21
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

If you used an aluminum oxide based adhesive I found I could easily pop the stars off with a knife blade at the joint - just a bit of prying and they came loose.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #22
toffee
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in MD View Post
Very nice build
I built mine in the Living Room also, that's where working nights comes in handy with the better half

Mike
+1, really nice. Love it. Got a few questions ~ what is the size of the tank? What's the rated power consumption or Watts?

Thanks.
toffee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #23
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffee View Post
+1, really nice. Love it. Got a few questions ~ what is the size of the tank? What's the rated power consumption or Watts?

Thanks.
Thanks! I don't recall what current I'm running right now, but at full power, it'd be burning 84 watts or so (I'd have to double check my specs). Under half that of my T5HO's. I don't run it at full power, however. Turns out it's a lot more light than I anticipated! I need to get my hands on a par meter to know exactly what it's putting out.

The tank is an ADA 120-P, which is 65 gallons (48x18x18). At the current height and with 60 degree optics, it has pretty much perfect coverage, with the most concentrated beam covering the full footprint at substrate level (plus a few inches).
Old 09-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #24
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If you used an aluminum oxide based adhesive I found I could easily pop the stars off with a knife blade at the joint - just a bit of prying and they came loose.
That's good to know, Hoppy thanks for the tip! I think I'll drop that in the FAQ...
Old 07-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #25
kingdave
Algae Grower

What is your ratio of cool white to neutral white LED's?
kingdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 05:32 AM   #26
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have changed this recently. I was running 50/50 (14cw 14nw), but this was lacking in the red part of the spectrum. I have added 8 warm whites to make up the difference, and it has balanced it out pretty well.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #27
Rudger
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I just put together a similar fixture. The combination of cool and warm white on seperate channels gives me excelent control. I did not include any blue LEDs, but if you have fish that have iradecent highlights it is worth adding in a few blues.

Since this thread was started, Ledgroupbuy has started selling a hanging kit. It is very nice and easy to adjust.

What are you using for a power supply? I bought one on their site, but I am not a fan of the exposed line voltage terminals.
Rudger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #28
Gamezawy
Planted Member

very nice build theblondskeleton i love it , i am on my way to make my lights for the same tank as you , well i have some questions you are running 28 CREE XTE leds but at what current ? and is by that you are getting enough light for a high tech system ? and about your NW leds how much its kelvin ?

and after your experiment what do you recommend for the ratio between CW and NW
Gamezawy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #29
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudger View Post
I just put together a similar fixture. The combination of cool and warm white on seperate channels gives me excelent control. I did not include any blue LEDs, but if you have fish that have iradecent highlights it is worth adding in a few blues.

Since this thread was started, Ledgroupbuy has started selling a hanging kit. It is very nice and easy to adjust.

What are you using for a power supply? I bought one on their site, but I am not a fan of the exposed line voltage terminals.
I'll have to check out the hanging kit - I have a decent setup for it right now, but I do enjoy tinkering.

I have the Meanwell power supply as well. I'd be more comfortable with it in a box, but it does all right.

I had blues for a bit, but I was getting crazy BBA with them, so I removed them. I have enough blue spectrum with the cool whites to keep the plants happy, so it didn't bother me too much.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #30
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamezawy View Post
very nice build theblondskeleton i love it , i am on my way to make my lights for the same tank as you , well i have some questions you are running 28 CREE XTE leds but at what current ? and is by that you are getting enough light for a high tech system ? and about your NW leds how much its kelvin ?

and after your experiment what do you recommend for the ratio between CW and NW
Thanks! I can't say how much I love the heat sink. It's a pretty well engineered package.

I'm running 36 emitters now (after adding the 8 warm whites). My driver is the SmartyCat designed by O2Surplus (see his thread about that). As I recall, it runs at about 1100 mA, but I have each channel manually dialed down quite a bit. I couldn't say exactly what the current is for each channel, except to say it provides plenty of PAR without algae issues.

As for the ratio of cw/nw, I'd say add the warm whites to the equation. Without them I was getting leggy growth that looked like I just didn't have enough light (which I didn't in the red part of the spectrum). My current ratio is (cw:nw:ww) 1:1:0.5, but my cw are running at about 75%, my nw are dialed down at least 50%, and the ww are running at nearly 100% (of the 1100mA max). They also have 80 degree optics instead of 60 degree optics like the cw/nw.

In other words, a lot of variables going on there.

I'd almost say you don't need nw, except to render your greens. That would be a personal choice.

Those are just my observations based on my conditions, so things may be different for you. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.