7 Gallon Red Cherry Shrimp Cube (56k)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default 7 Gallon Red Cherry Shrimp Cube (56k)

Equipment:
7 Gallon /25 Litre Nano Cube
Eheim 2213
Hydor Inline 200w
ATC 300 Heater controller
Black gravel
(The light is temporary - 12W 6500k)

Flora:
Java Moss
Taiwan Moss
Marimos
Java Fern

Fauna:
Red Cherry Shrimp
A cheeky snail or two

My first shrimp tank was a good introduction to keeping them, but it wasn't that shrimp friendly. Easy for the shrimps to get into the back filters :/ The glass was a bit worn. I will be able to have much more control over things with this tank (I hope!). I want to scape it a bit, but still have the main priority on the shrimp's environment.

I saw this tank and really liked it, hopefully I can do something nice with it. Just plan on mosses and low light plants.

Here it is when I first got it. I am going to run it without the glass top - I can keep my temps lower but I will have to top off more.

I found this interesting piece of wood, but after soaking it for weeks, it ended up being removed as there were lots of holes in that produced white mold. I got it from the vivarium section, so maybe it was never going to work. Ah well!

Substrate in. Cleaned off some silicon and had given it a good clean. I am going to stick with this substrate as it's easy to build up. I want to get some height going to make use of all the tank, makes it more interesting?

I stuck some moss on the wood. I liked the look, little did I know it would end up in the bin!

Here it is in the tank. Just running the tiny filter that came with it. I swapped this out for an Eheim 2213 eventually. It's now cycled, I'm adding ammonia daily to keep it going. The light was pretty crappy, so that is getting replaced. I also got an inline heater, just to keep the tank as free from equipment as possible. I hooked up a temperature controller to that today, as insurance against it going wrong.

Before I threw the wood away, I salvaged some twigs...

And made a little feature.

Here it is in the tank.

(I need to get a better photo than this) This is how it looks today. I cut up a piece of driftwood and stuck it to a piece of slate, then stuck on some moss. I don't think it will stay where it is, but it will do for now. The light is temporary. I am waiting for a clip on to come from China. I'll get an appropriate CFL for it. I also wedged in something to cover the background.

It's been running for 2 months now. Am starting to see some biofilm. Just waiting to get a stand for it and for the shrimplets in the other tank to get a bit bigger before I move them.

I will add the tubes and moss from the other tank, and hide the intake better. So I expect the light scape I have done so far to change.

When moving the shrimps, I plan to get the temps of the tanks the same, put the shrimps in a bucket, remove water from new tank and put tank water from the old one in.

Thanks for looking

Last edited by deleted_user_17; 10-05-2012 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: title
deleted_user_17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.