What's that bug? How to recognize them - Page 24
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #346
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niedogg View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new here but have consulted this forum many times. Recently I have had a 5.5 gallon tank with CRS, plants, and a piece of driftwood. The shrimp have slowly died off and now I've noticed these small, white bugs. They crawl around on the substrate. They resemble a shrimp when they swim.

Anybody know what these creepy things are? Are they harmful?
Surprised no one got back to you yet. Might be too late but those are scuds. Generally harmless, but some species have larger claws and may prey on shrimp. Chances are, they out competed the shrimp for food, which killed them off.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #347
FlyingShawn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Just bought some Hornwort at the local mega-LFS (TFP in Lancaster) and did a Potassium Permanganate dip to try to kill the snails that came along with it (I don't mind the tiny ramshorns, but I don't ever want to have MTS again!).

After removing the hornwort for rinsing (it's not in my tanks yet), I saved some of the water at the bottom of the bottle to observe the snails for a few hours and make sure they're actually dead before I move the hornwort into my tanks. After letting it sit for a while, I came back to see if any of them had moved (not yet) and discovered a critter I'd never seen before swimming around! I looked through this thread, but I haven't seen anything quite like it.

At first glance, you'd never be able to tell them from the other hornwort needles that fell off in the container: they're no more than 1/4" long, very slightly thicker than a hornwort needle, brownish-green, and their bodies stay perfectly straight when they swim (propelled by tiny, invisible legs). I tried to take a picture, but they're so small there's no visible detail. They are the two top-most "needles" in this picture below. Any ideas what they could be?

Oh, and BTW, finally made it to 100 posts!!

Last edited by FlyingShawn; 09-06-2012 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: added comment
FlyingShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #348
KGsPFT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Dang, been dosing No-Planaria for 3 days with no luck. I think this is what I have, but tough to tell with my cheap magnifying glass. Any ideas on how to kill?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
I wanted to bring up another bug. I had a huge infestation of these things in my last tank and no matter how I described it everyone kept saying 'planaria' even though I KNEW it wasn't planaria. I search for a couple of months and couldn't find anything and wound up breaking down the tank and starting a new one. AFTER I did that, I was looking up another bug and FINALLY found what I had had in the last tank. It's called Rhabdocoela. I did a search in this thread and didn't find any matches so I'm going to guess it hadn't been brought up. These are flat, white worms but they lack the triangle head or eyes planaria has. They climb up the tank walls, go through the substrate, etc. So for those folks who have flat white worms and know they aren't planaria but don't know what they are, they could be these Here's a photo. If you do a Google search you'll hit a good thread on Shrimpnow that goes through the differences between them and planaria.

http://www.crustahunter.com/sites/de...jpg?1304201527
Eheim Pimp #513 (Classic 2217 and ECCO 2234)
My 20L
KGsPFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #349
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGsPFT View Post
Dang, been dosing No-Planaria for 3 days with no luck. I think this is what I have, but tough to tell with my cheap magnifying glass. Any ideas on how to kill?!?!
I believe these are a type of nemotodes as no-planaria/fenbendazole does not kill them. I have had these in my tank as well at one point, and I also dosed fenbendazole. Didn't work either. I just sucked a few out a day with a fine tipped syringe. The population eventually just went away.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #350
KGsPFT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
I believe these are a type of nemotodes as no-planaria/fenbendazole does not kill them. I have had these in my tank as well at one point, and I also dosed fenbendazole. Didn't work either. I just sucked a few out a day with a fine tipped syringe. The population eventually just went away.
Hmmm. The only thing I have in the tank are Oto's and plants. Tossed in an algae wafer before a 4 day trip and came back to this mess.

Have been planning to add a school of habrosus, but thought I'd wait until the outbreak cleared. Should I instead add the fish and hope they clear the outbreak, or is there something else I might try before adding fish. I'd rather not wait for them to go away on their own!
Eheim Pimp #513 (Classic 2217 and ECCO 2234)
My 20L
KGsPFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #351
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Can someone identify the critters in this picture? Note that there seem to be two species - the brown guys and the grey ones in the lower right part of the image.

They are very slow moving. Some kind of aphids? I have them on my floaters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aphids.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	55463  

Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:13 AM   #352
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

*cough*
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #353
Boznia76

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Any Ideas what this bug is...?

I've been finding these small bugs in the buttom of my bucket after hoovering the gravel on my tropical fish tank, their really small so I've never been able to identify them before and found this thread a while back and just presumed they where copepods or daphnia, seed shrimp etc.... and didn't really worry but have just got a small microscope and managed to get a photo, it doesn't really look like anything I've seen in this post to me, I would appreciate any advice on what they are and how I get rid of them if I can...?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Boznia76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #354
trueblu8
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
here is an underwater picture of ianmason's dragonfly larva/pupa.
they probably come from aquatic plants grown outdoors.
you can manually remove or hope the fish will eat them.

Holy cow. So that's what I found in my Daphnia culture. It ate all of them.
Must've dropped in from a plant that was just above the water.
It really freaked me out. I didn't know what it was.
So what should I do now? Feed it?
I'm a little scared. Lol.
trueblu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #355
iris
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Can this be made into a sticky?
I like referencing this occasionally.
iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #356
lotzodomo
Algae Grower

Are these nemotodes? I just set up a brand new 5 gallon tank with new aqua soil, new filter and new heater. I've put a few plants in there and have been letting the tank run without any fish or shrimp in it. After a few days though I noticed these worms wriggling around in the water, I've caught at least 20 of them by now. I'm almost positive they came from the plants, and I've contacted the seller/website where I bought the plants but they claim all their plants are worm-free... =( I thought these worms were only supposed to appear if there was an excess amount of food left in the substrate?

http://youtu.be/g1J45R1pgG8
lotzodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #357
trueblu8
Algae Grower

Apparently you should just be able to add some guppy fry to take care of them. I noticed that you're in Chicago and I've got some if you need them.

There's also a thread about it here that might help you out.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=176935
Old 02-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #358
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
Can someone identify the critters in this picture? Note that there seem to be two species - the brown guys and the grey ones in the lower right part of the image.

They are very slow moving. Some kind of aphids? I have them on my floaters.
Yes, these are aphids. Very variable in color, size, winged or not, etc. Good fish food, not good for plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
*cough*
Better now? Sorry for the delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boznia76 View Post
I've been finding these small bugs in the buttom of my bucket after hoovering the gravel on my tropical fish tank, their really small so I've never been able to identify them before and found this thread a while back and just presumed they where copepods or daphnia, seed shrimp etc.... and didn't really worry but have just got a small microscope and managed to get a photo, it doesn't really look like anything I've seen in this post to me, I would appreciate any advice on what they are and how I get rid of them if I can...?
Yes, they are seed shrimp/Ostracods. Really harmless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris View Post
Can this be made into a sticky?
I like referencing this occasionally.
This is part of the collective sticky in the Shrimp/Other forum: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184517 Rather than having 12 stickies clogging up the forum, we collected them all into one super-sticky.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #359
whyviet
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

This thread is super disgusting. It makes my worm and copepod infestation bearable.
whyviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #360
trueblu8
Algae Grower

Copepods are cool.

Tags
whats this creature