|09-09-2012, 11:09 PM||#1|
Planted Tank Obsessed
My first Bog Garden
I decided to get rid of grass in the front yard, (back yard is landscaped, pool and 800G Koi pond with no room for anything else.
So started the dig today and will have a 16' x 9' bog. I want to have it hands off so it will self water and keep moist without me needing to to anything.
Here is an out line of the design I am planning.
1. 12" depth
2. pond liner with holes poked every 3' on the bottom
3. 1" layer of sand
4. fill up with earth and sphagnum moss mixture
5. wood based mulch on top to stop weeds
6. rock edged to hide the liner overlap
7. Rain barrel at the back next to the house
8. rain barrel plumbed to pvc that enters the front edge of the bog with holes drilled in the pvc that is buried in the bottom of the bog
9. Gardena water computer will control the draining of the rain barrel
10. a moisture sensor will turn on and off the water computer to keep the bog moist all the time.
11. the bog should get 6 hours of direct sun light.
I will be updating as I go.
Planned plants are all pond marginal plants, many all bloom throughout the summer.
75 Gallon High Tech Planted Tank (Journal) 220 Gallon African Cichlid tank (Journal)
Ponds http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ponds/140285-pond-project-jungle-vines.html pics, pics