April's 5.5 gallon shrimpster
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

April's 5.5 gallon shrimpster

Recent FTS (Updated 3/3/13)

Plants: Hydrocotyle tripartita, various mosses, Crepidomanes auriculatum, Crypt nevilli, Crypt wendtii

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am dry starting a 5.5 gallon before I go off to college so that it will be ready to set up when I move in to my apartment. This little project is to curb my aquarium craze, because I bought a 25 gallon cube that I have decided to save for later. I also need a reason to go to the fish store and visit the cute guy at Neptune's.

Undergravel filter made out of drip system tubes and biomedia.

Threw together a hardscape, and dry starting F. fontanus and H. tripartita. Ugly.

Third try, I think the shrimp might appreciate the driftwood better. It's been 3 weeks since the last photo. I don't think the F. fontantus is doing much. Still wondering if I should scrap the stones altogether.

Any thoughts, good or bad, on hardscape? I figure I don't have to finalize anything yet, and might as well get some opinions before I put in an order for shrimp.

Last edited by Gnomecatcher; 03-03-2013 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: fts
Gnomecatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

The little temple is nice. It would be cool if it was tucked between taller stones, as if at the bottom of a valley.
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
PinkRasbora
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora

Maybe smaller "pathway" stones?

Are you gonna carpet the background in live plants? That would be sooo totally awsome!
PinkRasbora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Indian fern
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would some anubiasjava fern and water sprite. Easy, low light tolerant and very BEAUTIFUL! :3
Indian fern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRasbora View Post
Maybe smaller "pathway" stones?

Are you gonna carpet the background in live plants? That would be sooo totally awsome!
I agree that the smaller pebbles were a great pathway.

The shrimp will love the driftwood -- maybe cover a larger rock or part of the driftwood with a pretty moss like peacock or Christmas?
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm going to see if I have some small stones to use for a path, or maybe gravel instead?

The background is going to be filled with Crepidomanes auriculatum and Syngonanthus belem. I am going to grow a weeping moss wall.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

When I first seen the pics I was going to ask what you had planned for the back. Also the small stones will look nice with the temple. That's a nice piece of driftwood too.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

How's this? I think it is much more dimensional, as can be seen from the second shot. Weeping moss will go in the plastic mesh for a wall.

straight on shot

Last edited by Gnomecatcher; 09-23-2012 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: update urls
Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

Added shum shtuff. Three more days till fill up time! Bought a few CRS at Neptunes and the boy of my dreams gave me 10% off for NO REASON. Maybe it's my undeniable charm and breath-taking beauty? Okay, I'll stop with the girl talk.

Last edited by Gnomecatcher; 09-13-2012 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: update
Old 09-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

You are a girl so you are entitled. If you were a dude with girl talk, stop it now!

:P

great plant scape. Which types of mosses are you planning for?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

The only thing I am entitled to is written in the Constitution. But I guess girl talk falls under free speech, right?

Fissidens fontanus will go up front on the plastic mesh. I got some mini x-mas moss sitting in my shrimp holding tank waiting for this tank to flood. Finally, weeping moss for my moss wall! I am so excited, this tank is going to be a moss party.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #12
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hello from college-land. I'm all settled in my new apartment and started classes. Guess who else got settled?

Shrimpies!

I thought I would have to bring or buy a stand for the tank, but luckily the dresser that I have is just the right height.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #13
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

I really can't wait to see how the moss wall looks when its grown in! I like the hardscape, too

(Ah, I don't know how I posted before I was done. haha.)

Actually, I was hoping you could explain your undergravel filter a bit, too? I've never seen a DIY one before, and I'm not sure how they're meant to work..?

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #14
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

I know, I love weeping moss! Right now I'm considering redoing the plastic mesh though, I think the moss might not be getting enough light. I'm going to see if there is some kind of glue I can use.

I based my under gravel filter off of Mordalphus' design, seen in this post: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=155975

As you can see, there is a system of tubes with holes underneath the substrate, I made my holes facing inward, then I covered the tubes with bio-media so that the substrate doesn't get sucked in, and to provide a lot of surface area for a nice bacterial colonization.

The difference is that I use an HOB filter to power the under-gravel filter. However, I don't think this is powerful enough, and also I haven't figured out how to connect the tubes. I might switch to a TOM Mini Rapids canister filter. This way I can also create an inline CO2 reactor for better CO2 dissolution.

I used a UGF because since water is being constantly passed through the substrate, you can grow a great big bacterial colony for nutrient stability. It also acts as a kind of prefilter for the shrimps so they don't get sucked in and made into filter sushi.

Since this is a nano shrimp tank, this works well because I don't need a tone of water circulation.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

As a side note, I'm a big bio-filter enthusiast. I don't see the need for chemical filtration as long as you have a stable bio-filter, and there isn't a lot of natural mechanical filtration in nature. I am also lazy and poor, so this kind of tank setup lends to more enjoyment by a college student like me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.