29g blackwater biotope- acuario de rio negro - Page 41
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #601
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru
 
AquaStudent's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,237
Default

Any updates Bob?
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #602
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru
 
orchidman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,421
Default

nothing to say really. same as the previous update.
i did get some manzanita for a different project that i didnt end up using. so ill soak it and throw it in i guess. see what i can do
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 05:13 AM   #603
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru
 
AquaStudent's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,237
Default

What's the current stock list? I'm contemplating upgrading my 10g to a 29g (and getting rid of my nano tanks), this wouldn't happen for a couple of months.

If I did this I'd love to get angels and do an Amazon biotope. How is the remaining angel doing?

Do you think a pair of angels can do well in a 29g community?

Idk if you follow my 10g thread but I wrote a nice essay on it about my thoughts. Typing thoughts is a very stress relieving process.

Last edited by AquaStudent; 09-04-2012 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: editing
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #604
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru
 
orchidman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,421
Default

The current Stocklist is 1 angel, 1 German blue ram, and 2 hatchets. I haven't had money to restock it fully yet.

The angel is doing great. Idk what you think of as a community. I'd feel comfortable with a pair of angels and a school of Tetras. Along with otos.
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #605
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru
 
AquaStudent's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
The current Stocklist is 1 angel, 1 German blue ram, and 2 hatchets. I haven't had money to restock it fully yet.

The angel is doing great. Idk what you think of as a community. I'd feel comfortable with a pair of angels and a school of Tetras. Along with otos.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Perhaps a small school of cory cats as well but that's all debatable.

I'm glad the angel is doing well. If I end up doing this I'll definitely be talking to Rachael to see what she has in stock and if she can get anything like what you had again.
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #606
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru
 
orchidman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaStudent View Post
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Perhaps a small school of cory cats as well but that's all debatable.

I'm glad the angel is doing well. If I end up doing this I'll definitely be talking to Rachael to see what she has in stock and if she can get anything like what you had again.
a school of cories may be pushing it, but im way underfiltered so it is different.

yeah i got the angels from Rachel but they were here personal fish, not something she brought in, so im not sure if she will have more. definitely get your smaller fish from her though! i really wanted to get wild type angels, not marbled, but these are nice
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #607
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru
 
AquaStudent's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
a school of cories may be pushing it, but im way underfiltered so it is different.

yeah i got the angels from Rachel but they were here personal fish, not something she brought in, so im not sure if she will have more. definitely get your smaller fish from her though! i really wanted to get wild type angels, not marbled, but these are nice

I generally over filter my tanks...at least for my cichlids.

I remember you saying before that it was not an actual 'import' that Rachael does. It's all in the thought process right now though.

She has awesome stock for smaller fish. If I do end up taking this the next step then I'll definitely be looking her up.
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #608
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru
 
orchidman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,421
Default

i like to too, but there is not room around the tank for a canister filter, so i had to just go with HOBs. the water movement sucks and all kinds of fish crap and debris end u in the one corner. its very annoying!

you should come and visit the two of us and get some fish!!!

you all should checkout my new jounral! its my best scape yet! fish are getting added tomorrow

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=188790
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 04:04 AM   #609
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru
 
AquaStudent's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
i like to too, but there is not room around the tank for a canister filter, so i had to just go with HOBs. the water movement sucks and all kinds of fish crap and debris end u in the one corner. its very annoying!

you should come and visit the two of us and get some fish!!!

you all should checkout my new jounral! its my best scape yet! fish are getting added tomorrow

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=188790
I'll definitely check out your tank. I'd love to come visit but it's quite a trip from where I'm at now. Perhaps once I'm home or on my way home one of these times. Have you ever gone to one of the CCA meetings?

I just ordered an Fluval 306 for my 55g African Cichlid tank. I'm really excited for it. I've never had a canister before.
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 04:07 AM   #610
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru
 
orchidman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaStudent View Post
I'll definitely check out your tank. I'd love to come visit but it's quite a trip from where I'm at now. Perhaps once I'm home or on my way home one of these times. Have you ever gone to one of the CCA meetings?

I just ordered an Fluval 306 for my 55g African Cichlid tank. I'm really excited for it. I've never had a canister before.
that would be cool!

awesome!!! haha whats cca? lol thats the cyber school i go to, commonwealth connections academy. lol
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #611
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru
 
AquaStudent's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
that would be cool!

awesome!!! haha whats cca? lol thats the cyber school i go to, commonwealth connections academy. lol
CCA= Capital Cichlids Association. It's the club based out of Maryland that Rachel is one of the head people for. It's a good group of good people.
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #612
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru
 
orchidman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,421
Default

so im downsizing this tank to a 20 long. it actually wont be similar at all, haha! the only thing that will be the same are the filters and the fish (well only some, ill need to re home the angel)

im going to do a java fern jungle type scape with manzanita. im also going to use aquasoil for the plants. it will be low light still.

here is the hardscape idea


DSC_0007.jpg by orchidman-10, on Flickr

however, i did the hardscape (it was so hard to work with this wood!) in an old 20 long thats scratched and chipped. so ill have to transfer it over to a new tank soon. but im waiting for the petco 1$ per gallon sale.

im considering just taking the larger group of wood ( as seen below) and moving it closer to the center, and taking the smaller group of wood out.


DSC_0004.jpg by orchidman-10, on Flickr


the plants will be needle leaf java fern, blyxa japonica, crypts, anubias, fissidens, taiwan or similar moss, and maybe some hydrocotyl sibthorpioides.

the front will be cosmetic sand and the planted areas will be aquasoil
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #613
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru
 
kwheeler91's Avatar
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Port Clinton, OH
Posts: 1,143
Default

Hows this coming along?
__________________
kwheeler91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #614
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru
 
orchidman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
Hows this coming along?

Um, well it still looks exactly the same as the pics! haha! I am slowly getting things for it, but other things (Christmas presents, clothes, food, GAS) have taken the money. Lol! I did get a light though, I got a Coralife Aqualight 2 bulb 30" fixture. I am thinking I'll want to go with a canister filter, instead of using the AquaClear30 I have now...what do you guys think? I think the Petco $1/gallon sale is going on now, so ill grab a 20 long that isn't broken. I have a slight problem though. I have the 29g still setup (not looking hot at all, too embarrassed to show pics) and I want to keep the German Blue Ram that is in it, I don't really want to keep the angelfish or the single remaining hatchetfish. But for the new scape I want to use Aquasoil, so i will have to wait a while before I can add fish..so IDK what to do. Because I want to keep the seeded filter media, but I don't necessarily want/have time to keep both tanks for that amount of time. And I also kind of want to keep the GBR, but i would be okay if I just got rid of it and bought new GBRs once the tank is setup..So I'm not quite sure what I'll do, haha!
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012