CRS vs. RCS - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #46
beginnertoshrimp
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I never had to use an air pump or air stone for rcs, but wanted to make sure crs weren't different. That doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about. As far as water parameters, it isn't too big of a hassle. My house is constantly cooled and heated to 70 F depending on season, and the tank water is generally a little cooler. I also want them to breed, so a heater would be needed to raise the temperature.
beginnertoshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #47
aznartist34
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

How warm are you planning on keeping the tank? Crs don't thrive in temps approaching 80. Water parameters is actually the main thing when it comes to keeping caridina species, so not sure what you mean by not too big of a hassle.
aznartist34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #48
beginnertoshrimp
Algae Grower

Not too big of a hassle meaning that it won't be difficult to handle. Basic tests and keeping temp. constant along wcs. Basic shrimp stuff, lol. Would you say I should use an air stone and air pump, or just forget it?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #49
tobystanton
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/83%)

You have to keep the PH lower, they wont thrive and breed in the same water as your RCS so you either have to get a substrate that buffers the water lower, or use distilled or r/o water.

Lights/Air stone/ Tank are all secondary to the water conditions.
tobystanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #50
beginnertoshrimp
Algae Grower

Exactly. Water conditions are already discussed and figured out. The pH will be lower, and I wouldn't expect them to breed in the same water, hence the reason I stated that I no longer breed RCS.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #51
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginnertoshrimp View Post
Exactly. Water conditions are already discussed and figured out. The pH will be lower, and I wouldn't expect them to breed in the same water, hence the reason I stated that I no longer breed RCS.
Well it sounds like you are good to go then. Good luck.

/end thread
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #52
Shrimpaholic
Planted Member

Read, read, and READ! Then absorb the information. If you don't know what CRS are but you want to breed them for profit, you are in for a nightmare. 5.5 gallons seems small. Unless you know exactly what you are doing, you will have a difficult time keeping ideal water parameters.

I have quite a bit of experience keeping fish but only about a years worth keeping shrimp. For me my 20g shrimp tank was small. Because I had to learn what and when, the 20g gave me more room for error because of the larger volume of water.

I am considering setting up a small tank now, but if my goal was to breed, especially for profit, there is no way I would use a 5.5g.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk 2

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...o=view&id=3653
Shrimpaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #53
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I noticed that no one has posted the ideal parameters for CRS. I guess this will help you since you've been asking about water parameters:
pH 6.2-6.8
GH 3-6
KH 0-2(sometimes 3)
TDS 100-180

A word of advice: a lot of people don't really pay attention to TDS, but I think that it's really important for harder shrimp. Usually when you see people's posts about how they bred CRS in sub 7 pH water they don't list the TDS. My theory is that TDS is the factor that determines surviving and thriving. For example, my OEBT tank had perfect pH (7.2) GH (7) and KH (2) but they were not breeding since the day I got them. Then I got a TDS meter and found out that my TDS was 327!!! So I lowered it to 220 and BAM, a berried shrimp.

Of course that's just my theory and experience and hasn't been tested so it's not 100% but it's always good to have safe TDS levels. Happy shrimping

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #54
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

i really think you need to re-read the info that's being posted on this thread. there's some good stuff people have posted. Honestly, though, you should do your own research. Look through some of the thread on the shrimp sub forum. I think this is why you are getting a few curt responses.

CRS/CBS are MUCH harder to keep than neos. Even I know this, and I'm far from an expert on shrimp. If I were you, I'd try other neos. Rilis, blues, oranges etc. come to mind. They are more of a step up from RCS and yet will be far more economical to breed and sell. You can get about 2-4$ for them if you know how to sell your product. If this is going to be a money making endeavor, I'm going to repeat what people have said before: the 5.5g is not enough. I think I've spent more time, research, and money on my 20g CBS tank than any of my other tanks individually and I still feel hesitant to put shrimp in there.

I read through the whole thread, and maybe I missed it, but if you haven't already, think about these questions.
How will you lower pH? Moon sand is not going to do that for you.
How will you lower TDS? Do you have a TDS meter? Same goes for gH and kH.
Where is your water coming from?
How big is the biofilter going to be?
Do you have a basic set of test kits? (i.e. no2, no3, nh4/nh3, pH...?)

Getting them to survive is what you should be worried about now, breeding is icing on the cake.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #55
AwkwardShrimp
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

+1 I've also read the whole thread, you say you've kept RCs before that's fine bit asking simple questions about cycling is making me think you are new to proper fish/shrimp keeping. All the questions you have asked have been answered dozens of time on this forum.
This forum is an awesome knowledge base for almost anything aquatic. All you have to do is search
Like it was said before you are worried way too much about breeding, first worry about being able to keep them alive. Crs are 4$ a piece I'd hate to see them die because sub par water parameters. Buy a TDS meter and test kit, as well as gh, kh test kits and test your tap water parameters to see if your tap is suitable to keep Crs, if not you'll have to look in to an RO unit. Good luck, patience is key in this hobby, rushing will just get you bad results

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
AwkwardShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #56
Shrimpaholic
Planted Member

I'm sorry if it feels like people here are bashing you but the reason is, people are giving you good advice and your responses are either irrelevant, sporatic, or not making any sense. Hence, those offering you valuable advice are becoming confuse then frustrated.

The best thing to do is to be completely honest, and open to suggestions/advice. It is more than obvious you have very limited if any experience keeping anything in aquariums. For instance, several people have told you that a heater, especially during the summer is the least of your worries. And as far as you needing a heater for breeding...what?

Tank size that you are going with is to small for breeding yet the suggestions have fallen on deaf ears. I came to this forum for advice with an open mind, and willing to try the things suggested and change things if I was told to. As a result I have made progress and continue to improve my knowledge and experience.

So, I suggest, and must tell you...the most important thing for you to do is to listen to the advice people are offering you. Forget about specific aspects of lighting, water parameters, filters, substrate etc. Take a deep breath, sit back and focus your attention on what is being suggested to you. Once you are able to do that, THEN you can start putting the pieces of the puzzle together.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...o=view&id=3653
Shrimpaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #57
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpaholic View Post
I'm sorry if it feels like people here are bashing you but the reason is, people are giving you good advice and your responses are either irrelevant, sporatic, or not making any sense. Hence, those offering you valuable advice are becoming confuse then frustrated.

The best thing to do is to be completely honest, and open to suggestions/advice. It is more than obvious you have very limited if any experience keeping anything in aquariums. For instance, several people have told you that a heater, especially during the summer is the least of your worries. And as far as you needing a heater for breeding...what?

Tank size that you are going with is to small for breeding yet the suggestions have fallen on deaf ears. I came to this forum for advice with an open mind, and willing to try the things suggested and change things if I was told to. As a result I have made progress and continue to improve my knowledge and experience.

So, I suggest, and must tell you...the most important thing for you to do is to listen to the advice people are offering you. Forget about specific aspects of lighting, water parameters, filters, substrate etc. Take a deep breath, sit back and focus your attention on what is being suggested to you. Once you are able to do that, THEN you can start putting the pieces of the puzzle together.

+1

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, materials, shrimp