Show your Aquaponic system. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 08-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #16
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
We use a juicer daily so just having fresh parsley daily out outdoor growing season will be worth the effort.

What is you cycle on the ebb& flow?

I'l planning on planting in Clay pots for the Goldfish tank. I used to keep Orandas and I'm very much aware of their sanitary habits. I'm planning bare bottom tank or maybe a few river stones on the bottom.

Don you have a link for adg's tank?
I've never kept goldies, and I hope this link works: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9zi-Wn5nKi8

I would like to do a similar hardscape only goldie tank with maybe a driftwood branch with anubias designed moreso to be viewed from above, say like a 40 breeder on a 18-24" stand...I would throw in some Japanese trap door snails too, maybe a highfin banded shark since an lfs keeps them with goldies.

My cycle is 15 min on, 45 min off, or 1x tank volume per hour, but I am starting to experiment with a siphon for continuous on. The lights are set opposite the tank lights so there is a more consistent sources of nitrate management. In my next set up I will plant the sump with weeds and floaters (aka goldies food) so that between the 3 cycles I have 24 hour management.

As far as the community notion goes, you could a) have a very large pond and run it like a community aquarium => was thinking giant gourami, tilapia, large mouth bass, fresh water lobster, trap door snail, and one of the giant minows (called sharks by aquarium standards) but amphibians and reptiles are a no go for me due to risk of salmonella or b) Google integrated multi trophic aquaculture => similar to your idea of divided res.

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

Last edited by pandacory; 08-29-2012 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: spelling
pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 05:02 AM   #17
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...nic+filtration

I did aquaponics as filtration over the summer for my planted 10g. I did marginal bog plants instead of edibles because of the excel and dosing. It was fun.
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #18
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Aquaponics has basically the same biological function as any tank with emergent growth, the difference is that terrestrials need root aeration or they will die.

It is interesting that emergent growth "pond" tanks are becoming more popular for their low maintenance requirements.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #19
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Is a bubbler/aerator sufficient, or should I go with ebb and flow via a bell siphon? Aerogardens pods are just constantly in water with an aerator in the bottom, tomatoes, lettuce, a variety of other things grow just fine.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacory View Post
I've never kept goldies, and I hope this link works: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9zi-Wn5nKi8

I would like to do a similar hardscape only goldie tank with maybe a driftwood branch with anubias designed moreso to be viewed from above, say like a 40 breeder on a 18-24" stand...I would throw in some Japanese trap door snails too, maybe a highfin banded shark since an lfs keeps them with goldies.

My cycle is 15 min on, 45 min off, or 1x tank volume per hour, but I am starting to experiment with a siphon for continuous on. .....
That tank would be good from a sanitation aspect. It's way to over-crowded from a health stand point, rule of thumb is 20gl 1st fancy gold fish the
+10gl for additional. So maybe 3 baseball sized fancys in a 40-55 gl tank.

I don't care for the "Train Station" look of too many fish in a tanks (especially bigger fish) pacing back & forth.

I like your thoughts on a few simple plants. I thought about a weather loach but they really like to burring themselves in fine sand And I don't want to have any substrate in mine. All planting will be in clay pots. Weather loaches really should be in man pairs or trios tone happy. The also get to 9-10". I do like that they are cool water fish like fancy goldfish.

I would advise to take one's time and find the nicest specimens. You can find info on several fancy gold fish sites. Since they can live well over 10 years it worth the effort to pick a young fish that will have resale/rehome value. Look for thing like uniform fins, correct lenght to body, body shape, clean colors and markings etc.

Here's a good page on what a proper Oranda should look like:
http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/...nda/oranda.htm

I've occasionally seen very nice Orandas in PetSmart. It's rare but they do show up. They bodes are usual fine it's the fins that you need to examine.

I was thing the same as you on my cycles 15 on - 45 off during the Photo Period.

Last edited by DogFish; 08-30-2012 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: added Link
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #21
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Is a bubbler/aerator sufficient, or should I go with ebb and flow via a bell siphon? Aerogardens pods are just constantly in water with an aerator in the bottom, tomatoes, lettuce, a variety of other things grow just fine.
Both systems work, really just about how you want to bold it.

My ebb & flow will drain back through the pump exhaust bulkhead on the bottom of the grow tank when the pump is off.

The stand pipe return will be a safety over flow and determine how high the water level will be at in flood stage.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #22
HX67
Planted Member

Thanks for a great topic.

There's so much to discover here.

I've worked with plant filters for ages.
My first "serious" edible plant aquaponics setup was this:

It is rigged in a 75 gal tank.

With a dash more serious approach with Aquaponics.fi we have come up with this:

At a "Local Food fest" we rigged the unit with a couple of 4 pound sturgeons from a local fish
hatchery:

(Please note the fish were held in the 130 gal tank for a few hours at a time)

Currently I'm working with another kitchen-sized unit (150 gal) with decent-sized Tilapias:

Looking for a lighting setup for this as we speak...

planethx

"I think we can make a buck on it so let's kill it."

Last edited by HX67; 08-31-2012 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Numbers
HX67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #23
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

SO im curious as to what is dosed to the water besides feed for the fish? any sort of macro/ micro fertilization going on here?
Old 08-31-2012, 01:56 AM   #24
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Old 08-31-2012, 02:03 AM   #25
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I had an ebb and flow on the top of my goldfish tank, growing lettuce for my rabbits. Then my pump died a horrible, silent death and I went back to deep water culture, which still works well for mint and lettuce.

I could never get enough plant growth to do more than mildly supplement water changes, though. It has been very frustrating. I have given up on soliciting advice.

I keep thinking that if I could plumb in a bigger hydroponics area, I would get somewhere. But I would also need lots of grow lights, and a huge pump with a prefilter that would need to be cleaned daily, and I just don't have the space or the money.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 02:17 AM   #26
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post

That is one of my Lotto-Fantisys, an Aquaponic Geo-dome green house/fish room
Old 08-31-2012, 02:42 AM   #27
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

too bad my wife doesn't like fish to eat or i'd be all over this

salmon MMMMMMMM
Old 08-31-2012, 03:03 AM   #28
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
SO im curious as to what is dosed to the water besides feed for the fish? any sort of macro/ micro fertilization going on here?
If you dose ANYTHING, you can no longer call your plants "organic." The fish waste fertilize the plants.
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 03:11 AM   #29
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX67 View Post
Thanks for a great topic.

There's so much to discover here.

I've worked with plant filters for ages.
My first "serious" edible plant aquaponics setup was this:

It is rigged in a 75 gal tank.

With a dash more serious approach with Aquaponics.fi we have come up with this:

At a "Local Food fest" we rigged the unit with a couple of 4 pound sturgeons from a local fish
hatchery:

(Please note the fish were held in the 150 gal tank for a few hours at a time)

Currently I'm working with another kitchen-sized unit (150 gal) with decent-sized Tilapias:

Looking for a lighting setup for this as we speak...
Those are some nice set ups, much less mad scientisty than mine. What size is the tank in your rack design? What is the clearance like between shelves? I did a stacked garden once, but I got sick of having the tank on the floor for viewing purposes.

For lighting check out the hydrofarm t5ho strip lights. Daisy chainable with decent reflectors. Lettuce etc don't need much light.

How large are the tilapia? I would love to have a 150galllon, but that is definitely not "kitchen sized" for me!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:15 AM   #30
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibikaie View Post
I had an ebb and flow on the top of my goldfish tank, growing lettuce for my rabbits. Then my pump died a horrible, silent death and I went back to deep water culture, which still works well for mint and lettuce.

I could never get enough plant growth to do more than mildly supplement water changes, though. It has been very frustrating. I have given up on soliciting advice.

I keep thinking that if I could plumb in a bigger hydroponics area, I would get somewhere. But I would also need lots of grow lights, and a huge pump with a prefilter that would need to be cleaned daily, and I just don't have the space or the money.
Rule of thumb is equal volumes of tank to grow bed area, with grow beds 7-12" deep. 7" is fine for herbs and lettuce, 12" for tomatoes etc.

Many drain their tank into the grow bed and allow the solids to mineralized in the grow media so as to avoid exporting nutrients. I am not a fan of this, mine is inside a small apartment and even a mild smell is unacceptable. Outside, why not?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.