So lost and information overwhelmed - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 08-21-2012, 02:05 AM   #16
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie

Awesome :] Small world! LOL I was just at a great cuban cafe the other day.

As for the tint, I dont think its a good idea. You want to block all light, and be able to control it with just your light fixtures. Thats optimal, anyway. If you want to try to add a bit of light from the window still for whatever reason, and try to balance the lights that way, by all means go for window tint and do some trial and error. Just know that whatever you do, the algae will take quite some time to go away.
Trickerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
Kelli
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickerie View Post
I was just at a great cuban cafe the other day.
Ack! rub it in some more lol. My son wants his pilots license. I told him I'd pay for it on the condition he flew me down to SoFla for lunch when ever I wanted. I cannot tell you how much I miss the food!

Back to our programming:

The reason the tank was open to the sun was A.) free light and B.) our house is small so blocking the windows makes me feel claustrophobic. Space is a premium here so there is really no where else for the tank to go unless I move it into the dining room and get rid of our kitchen table (very tempting, the table is used as a catchall and is never clean for long ugh)

Bulleted list to make sure I'm understanding slash additional questions:

• So I'm staying in black ops mode for a few days to try to kill off the algae. After that I'm backing the tank with something opaque and turning my (improved) lights on.
  • I'm planning a rescape in the next few weeks so I can pull the plants out and clean them with H2O2 or bleach dip to finish off what the black out started.
  • With the suggestions every one posted I think I need to change up some of the plants in there to lower light lovers yes? Crypts and the like?
  • If I understand correctly getting my nitrates up would help the plants combat the algae too, somewhere around 5ppm? I do this by adding KNO3? Can you buy this off the shelf somewhere or do I need to order it?
Sorry for the question bombs. I am really in over my head here. I'm a kinesthetic learner so mistakes come with the territory, thankfully I keep excellent notes so I don't often repeat them.

Y'all are fantastic for being patient with me! Thank you!

~Kelli
Kelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The rescape will help, but ultimately you will want to solve the lighting issue. Getting the opaque background is top priority I think. Next, change up your lights. Finally get some flourish or equilibrium and add that once a week. You don't need much for no co2 tanks. To get a bit more nitrates, try feeding a bit more. If you want to really get into fertilizing without co2 injection a every other day dose of excel also works well. All of these things will balance your nutrients and other parameters. Algae thrive on light and imbalance
Old 08-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
Kelli
Algae Grower

Based on everyone's recommendations I am now algae free (crossing my fingers it stays that way.)

I've upgraded my lighting a little. I added a 26w 6500k CFL in addition to the two 13w 6500k CFL's I had. Current photo period is the two 13w on for an hour before the 26w turns on, runs for 8-9 hours, the 26w shuts off and the two 13w stay on for one hour longer before we go dark. I need to buy a timer that allows sequential programming.

I've removed most of the duckweed to a Rubbermaid bin on the shaded back porch. If it were to disappear I'm pretty sure I wouldn't cry over it. I also removed the Vals to the bin with the minnows and the bass. I guess I sort of have a temporary container pond now...

I've pulled the airstone, my pH has remained stable without it so i guess I have no clue why is spiked/fell before.

I've put a background on and moved the tank away from the window so it doesn't get light spills from another window. It will only get indirect light now on the days it's nice enough for me to have all the doors/windows open.

I rescaped, pulled all the plants for a H2O2 dip. Holy carp it's like magic stuff!! I now have pretty pink (Dead!) algae that the shrimps and Oto's are cleaning up.

and a new FTS with the hardscape in place and the algae dead. Water is still a little cloudy from the rescape.

Now to find some more plants to finish the look I want. Thank you guys so much!

~Kelli
Old 08-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #20
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think a 10-11 photoperiod is too long :|
Old 08-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #21
Kelli
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickerie View Post
I think a 10-11 photoperiod is too long :|
It's the best I can do with our schedules until I pick up a sequential timer, or timers that don't take up so much d@mn room on a power strip.

Hopefully tomorrow. If not I can do just the two 13w until next Tuesday since I work double shifts Thursday - Sunday this week (I sleep Mondays.)

~Kelli
Old 08-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #22
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Photo period: I faced the same thing till I got a working timer (go figure, 1st three didnt' work!), and while I got a small algae burst it was nothing my clean up crew couldn't handle once I got things back on track. A couple days with reduced light helped that along.

If you've got a chance to get some nerite snails--do. I'd not kept them before and I'm amazed at how much they do to keep my tank clean. With the size they are I didn't think they'd be able to do much on the plants themselves, but mine routinely wrap their feet entirely around sword, anubia and crypt stems and slurp their way all the way up to the leaf before riding the leaf edge back down the substrate. Between them, my otos, some ghost shrimp and an SAE I even manage to have a couple hours late pm sunlight on the tank (the hygrophila loves it) without any algae problems at all.
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #23
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli View Post
It's the best I can do with our schedules until I pick up a sequential timer, or timers that don't take up so much d@mn room on a power strip.

Hopefully tomorrow. If not I can do just the two 13w until next Tuesday since I work double shifts Thursday - Sunday this week (I sleep Mondays.)

~Kelli
Why not get a power strip thats timed? :P I have two. 4 Timed slots, 4 untimed slots. Orrr, the cheaper option, which I also use:

You can get something similar at walmart for about 3 bucks... then just use normal timers