Proper cleaning of Eheim Canister? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > The Planted Tank FAQ

Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #16
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I think that's all good information with one exception, I have found it a pain if you turn inlet and outlet quick connects in different directions, later on you will want to rearrange your plumbing and that will somehow stand in your way and with only just a moment of thought you will never hook them up backwards, Jinks.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #17
Joenyc

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Eheim 2180 not flowing

The flow of my 2180 is non existing. However when I hit the large prun button down it flows . Yet when I release the button no flow. Obviously it is working and pumping when the button is down . So what can it be?
Joenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #18
Blah4Life
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Great thread! I've been looking for this info. I have a 2213, and love it.
Blah4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
petroman1185
Algae Grower

I use 2-eheim 2217s in my 75 gallon tanks. I clean them every two months. The key is one month i clean one then the next month i clean the other one. This helps keep the good bacteria alive. Its always worked for me. Hope that helps. joe h
petroman1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
dreamchick
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

thank you for asking. this answers a question that i had recently been asked by my mother. now i will know what to tell her.
dreamchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #21
francois.e

This is a very useful thread I have a Eheim 2217 canister for a 50 gallon aquarium. Presently, I have 35 fishes in there (this is the current staff): one Discus, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi (black tetras) (4), Paracheirodon innesi (neon tetra) (8), Hyphessobrycon megalopterus (phantom tetra) (6), kryptopterus (8), Rasbora heteromorpha (3), Rasbora espei (1), Pangio kuhlii (2), Botia kubotai (3) and Xiphophorus maculatus (2). I also have a few species of shrimps: Atyopsis moluccensis (3) and Neocaridina heteropoda (yellow shrimp) (4). I have to do two 40% water change every two weeks.

Post 5 from momotaro is very complete, but the other commentaries from the members are also useful. I read this post about eight months after the implementation of my aquarium. At that time there were signs of eutrophisation.

As my 2217 is superior to the volume of my aquarium, I am only at my second cleanup of the media, which means once every 8 or 9 months. Contrarily to what is proposed in this thread, I never got rid of the small balls and did not boiled them, I just rinse three times and agitate 2/3 of them with the aquarium water, whereas I treat all of the cylindric media. I do not want to disturb the bacteria equilibrium too often. This is why I take care of the small balls.

Although I imagine that cleaning regularly the filter is good to remove nitrogen in organic form of bacteria and various debris (and probably other chemical elements are also removed)

At some point I had some difficulty in restarting the filter. Pulling down the smaller or exit tube of the canister so that it flowed into a bowl on the floor, instead of having to fight for gravity to push the water two feet higher gave a really good pressure. Once primed this way the propeller would easyly push the water in the aquarium once the exit tubulure was replugged.
francois.e is offline   Reply With Quote