Using different wood in the same tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 08-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Calmia22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Using different wood in the same tank?

I have a 75 gallon.

I was thinking of using different kinds of wood since I don't have enough of one kind for the entire tank.

I have:
2 pieces of Mopani (Medium to large unique pieces)
1 piece of Malaysian (small, currently hold a anubias)
2 pieces of manzanita (one large, one small)

My general idea with this is to keep the mopani/malaysian pieces on one side of the tank, covering them mostly with java as well as plants around them.

The larger piece of manzanita would lay down on the other side, main branches facing the middle of the tank with the other piece pointing more upwards. Of course plants would grow up and around the manzanita so only a little bit of the branches are showing.

Thoughts?
Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Calmia22 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Crispino L Ramos
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (452/100%)

Symmetry will be compromised, IMO. It's a mess to re-do the hardscape in the future.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Once the wood is covered with plants there would be only the little bits showing. Even if it is a bit different I do not think anyone will notice. Especially if all the wood gets dark.

As for the different shapes, stout stump-like chunks vs thinner, branching material, yes, that could be a problem, but again, when the plants cover it who is to see that?

If your goal did not include so many plants growing on the wood I would not mix woods. Even the grain of the wood is picturesque and would look funny if there were several kinds visible in the tank.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.