Advice on lighting for 55 gallon planted tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 08-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
FutureCat

PTrader: (0/0%)

Advice on lighting for 55 gallon planted tank?

I just set up a 55 gallon tank and found out that the fluorescent lighting doesn't work, so I'm looking for a new light set-up and am realizing that there are A LOT of options. I have a lot of plants in the tank with driftwood and some rocks. There are 8 tiger barbs, 1 blue gourami, a pictus catfish and 5 bronze cory catfish living in the tank.

So, what does everyone recommend for lighting for this type of tank? I am looking at LEDs and I like the idea of not replacing bulbs frequently like you have to with fluorescent lighting.

Thanks!
FutureCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
jeremyblevins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Are you wanting to fertilize and supply co2?
jeremyblevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
FutureCat

I wasn't thinking of fertilizer and CO2 when I set up the tank because I am rather new to having an aquarium. I had a 20 gallon and 10 gallon previously (and successfully!), but only one or two real plants, the rest were fake. So, when I set up the 55 gallon, it wasn't til after I decided real plants would be great AND the lighting fixture stopped working that I started doing some reading and realized that just a one bulb fluorescent fixture probably wasn't enough for a lot of plants and I might need to think about CO2 and fertilizer too.

SO, any advice about CO2 and fertilizer would be greatly appreciated as well!

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
FutureCat

How about a High Bay T5HO 4 Lamp Fluorescent lighting fixture that sells on Ebay for $115? I've read a bit about T5HO lights and some people really like them for aquariums. Would this provide enough light for the plants in my 55 gallon tank? And what type of bulbs? Can I buy regular bulbs from Lowe's or do they need to be "aquarium specific" bulbs?

Thanks.

Tags
55 gallon aquarium, fluorescent, led, lighting