Heater Woes!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-30-2003, 07:28 PM   #1
mattrmiller
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

OK, so I have two tanks in my room a 20g long with a 100w heater on it, and a 29g with a 150w heater on it. Both heaters are Rena Cal heaters, and have never served me wrong until recently.

The cold days are coming where I live, and my room has been warmer due to the heat of our apartment, and it most of it rising to the upstairs making it hotter then the downstairs.... In any case, my room has gotten toasty a couple times. Both of the heaters are the "set and forget" kind, but they have still been kicking on even when they should not be. I have had to turn the heaters down to 74 to keep the tanks at 77.

I thought my heaters may have been messed up, but it is happening with both tanks, and only recently when we have had to turn the heat on in our apartment. What gives? The heater should not kick on until the water gets down around what the heater is set to, right? Has any one else had this problem with Rena Cals? I have been thinking about returning them for Visatherm heaters, I have heard those are good as well.

Thanks for any help.
mattrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2003, 09:54 PM   #2
mattrmiller
Planted Member

Did I scare everyone off? I hope not. :shock:
Old 09-30-2003, 11:41 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Maybe it's not the heaters that heat the tank up, but the warm air?

These are pretty strong heaters, and depending on the placement of the thermistor they might heat the water up quite a bit before the sensor tells them to shut off, and subsequent water movement and mixing might bring the temps up more than the heater is set to. Do you have good water movement in those tanks?

Just guessing here though... for a heated room, I would have chosen slightly lower wattages.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 11:48 PM   #4
mattrmiller
Planted Member

Yeah, I was thinking that as well. I was just going on the wpg calculation. I was thinking about trying the 100w in my 29g, and then maybe reducing the 100w to 50w in the 20g. I just thought that the heaters would shut off when the temp of the tank is equal to what the heater is set to.

As for water movement, there isn't really any in the tanks. Just the filter outputs.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2003, 12:05 AM   #5
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrmiller
I just thought that the heaters would shut off when the temp of the tank is equal to what the heater is set to.
They should, as soon as they measure the temp that they are set to. I am not sure about that specific heater, but I bought one where the thermistor sensor is separate from the heater element, so there is less feedback between the two, and the sensor measures the temp of the water, not the heater. Plus it is an electronic one, which has less hysteresis (or whatever the diff between turning on and switching off is called) which makes it a little more precise than the type where some metal is flipping back and forth to close and open the contact. Sorry for my poor English, not sure about the correct terms here :roll:

Make sure you put the heater in an area of good water circulation, or you end up with temperature gradients within your tank.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote