The 5 Gallon Challenge
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-30-2003, 08:45 PM   #1
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

What would you do, with a 5.5 empty glass tank, a filter, a heater, and an incanecant light? Looking for all ideas, ranging from plants, inverts fish, substrate, decorations. Everything and anything you can think of. But, theres a 40$ limit. Any ideas?
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2003, 08:55 PM   #2
mario
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Get a 23 watt compact fluorescent bulb for $10. Get a nice piece of driftwood to fit your tank for about $7. Set up DIY CO2 to run into your filter intake for $5. That leaves you with nearly $20 to buy the inhabitants.

I would probably use clippings from my larger tanks to plant the little guy- and use some fast growing stem plants in the beginning until it's stable. Then, slowly adjust the aquascape to your liking.

For inhabitants I would get 5 amano shrimp and 3 Otos ($2 each) and you are all set.

As far plants are concerned, it really all depends on what plants you can scrounge up either from your large tanks or from friends around the area. I really like the look of java fern on the driftwood, maybe some Lilaeopsis brasiliensis as foreground/middle ground plant and some redish stem plant for the back (maybe some Ludwigia arcuata). Also dwarf saggiteria and smaller anubias (coffefolia or barteri var. nana) would fit well in a small tank.

Hope this gives you some ideas... mario

(I really like the look of pearlgrass in my 10 gallon, but it needs a lot of pruning.)
mario is offline   Reply With Quote