Overflow glass question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Overflow glass question

I'm putting in a coast-to-coast overflow box (internal) on my 50G and just picked up the glass the other day. Either my measurements were off or their guy cutting was not accurate - the actual tank width is 1/8" more than the width of the overflow pieces.

I'm figuring that as long as the overflow box is properly supported/secured during the curing process, I should be okay.

My question:
Is 1/16" (maybe as much as 3/32") on either side too much for the silicone to deal with?
crazymittens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
planBtypeA
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I had some gaps like that (and bigger) when building my sump. Doesnt look that great, but seems to be holding water during my leak test just fine. I used the GE Silicone I, and if i remember correctly it states on it:
...use filler rod for gaps bigger than 1/2"x1/2"

If you are careful, you should be able to make the seams look good and have it hold up imo. I wasnt too careful since it was the sump...
planBtypeA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 04:35 AM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I would be concerned if you did NOT have a bit of a gap.
Filling the gap with silicone is just right. Go for it!

Yes, work out some sort of block or support system.
Masking tape will make the joints look neater, but is not strong enough to support the glass.

Can you lay the tank down while you are installing the glass, and waiting for it to cure?
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great, thanks guys/gals. I didn't think to check the tube for specifications - good call. I'm using the same silicone, will double-check, though.

I've used masking tape for the baffle installs, and it helps - only if you can get a razor in to clean up the overlap. Since I should have full access, I will definitely be masking off the silicone areas.

I will lay the tank on its side for sure, although I'll still need a jig to hold the glass in place. Half the work in these jobs is making the jig! But that's how you get a good result, prep work.

I just got the drill bits yesterday, hopefully PVC arrives today. Will cut out the bulkhead holes, then install the overflow box. If all goes well, might even get that far this weekend!

Thanks again...I love this forum, you guys rock.
crazymittens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.