Alternatives to seiryu stones - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 08-07-2012, 02:38 AM   #31
Colorful
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/96%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Slate is dark grey to black, and looks black under water. I often see it in stores around here (Northern CA). Slate like material is also available in other colors, other rocks. If you like these, get a sample for testing, not all are really slate. The word slate is just being used for a very uniform cut rock.
Mexican Beach Pebbles are another black rock. These are rounded like river stones. Be sure to bring plenty of money, these are one of the most expensive landscape rock around here.
Both of these materials (True slate and Mexican Beach Pebbles) are aquarium safe, and do not alter the water chemistry.
I don't really like the look of slate it's too flat, and I have Mexican beach pebbles in my yard,but those are too round. Im like goldilocks, but with rocks :P
Colorful is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #32
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Probably the best thing to do is to go rock shopping.
Each store will have something different.
There are always chips of rock on or under the pallets, so get some samples to test.
Find out what the people at the rock yard know about it. Place of origin, and any other info. Pictures are nice, too.
Then come on back here with as much info as you can find out about perhaps your favorite 3-4 materials and lets see where we are.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #33
Colorful
Planted Tank Obsessed

I really like the looks of both of these rocks? Does anyone know what they are? Thanks for the help Diana, I really appreciate it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00599-1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	52227  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01710.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	52228  

Old 08-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #34
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

both look like the imported ADA stones. the top is either ryouh (which is more pricey than seiryu) or seiryu and the bottom looks like yamaya. (which also looks suspiciously like the gravel you find on railroad beds...)
Old 08-11-2012, 04:11 AM   #35
Colorful
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
both look like the imported ADA stones. the top is either ryouh (which is more pricey than seiryu) or seiryu and the bottom looks like yamaya. (which also looks suspiciously like the gravel you find on railroad beds...)
Thanks for the input, I think you might be right. Are ryouh and yamaya stones inert?
Old 08-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #36
Colorful
Planted Tank Obsessed

Actually, after some thought, I think I just might go with lace rocks. They're inert and they would fit in well with my scape. Does anyone know where to get lace rock in orange county? Home Depots? Lowes? Osh?
Old 08-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #37
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lace Rock is usually a form of limestone that has been partially eroded due to water. It will continue to dissolve in your tank, raising the mineral level and the pH.

Go to your local rock yard. (Brick, soil, masonry, landscape...)
Bring some zip-lock bags and a Sharpie pen.
Take samples (broken bits, almost dust that falls off all the time) of whatever you like and label the baggies.
Test at home: Acid test, and put the samples in separate jars with water. Test GH, KH, pH, TDS. Run the test out at least a week, a couple of weeks is better.

Google Rock Yard Orange County CA to find a lot of them.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #38
Colorful
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay, i will go there after i come back from vacation. Thanks again for the help Diana!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #39
starfire12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

If you look at the pics of my tank in the aquascaping thread I have used zebra rock that looks really cool. If you like the looks of it my daughter has some for sale in the s/s thread. They do sell it in my LFS but for much more than what she is asking for hers and the price is with shipping.
starfire12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #40
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/97%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
Is your water liquid rock to begin with?
lol
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #41
nikonD70s
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

if u have like a bonsai store near you check them out. they should have stones that are very similiar to seiryu rocks. theres a bonsai store here in cali. dont know the name of it. bu they sell these imitation seiryu rocks for $0.50 a lb and cheaper if u buy lots. and i see some people buying tons and flipping it on here and other website and labelling them as seiryu rocks and make a huge profit from it and most people cant tell the difference especially noobs.
nikonD70s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #42
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Well that explains their source(s), I didn't think they were importing tons of rocks from China or Japan, even with the necessary connections it would be a huge logistics dilemma to mine and ship rock.

Btw very few have genuine Seiryu stone, which is from the Seiryu region in Japan, that stopped being mined years ago (which is why ADA doesn't sell it anymore). Now most of what is called Seiryu is from China.

Anyone know the name of that Bonsai store? I would love to get that rock for 50 cents a lb or less ( the price it should be all the time anyway).
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.