Hair algae killing my moss. Suggestions? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 08-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #16
sphack
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Thanks! Also, I missed Hoppy's new thread. More reading tonight.
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #17
livingword26
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingword26 View Post

Nitrates:Phosphates - 4:1

I've got to correct myself here. If you are dosing KNO3 and KH2P04 the ratio is 4 parts KNO3 to 1parts KH2PO4. But the ratio of Nitrate to Phosphate is more like 10:1 like you said, or 10:2.
29 gallon, Fluval 306. Aquatop PF25-UV Power Filter, 1x39 watt T5HO 7" above tank. P.F. Sand, Pressurized CO2, 5 Glowlight Tetra's, 3 Halequin Rasborah's, 3 neons, 2 Oto's, 5 Cherry Shrimp, 4 Amano Shrimp.
livingword26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #18
sphack
Planted Member

Water parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: nearly 0
Phosphate: 2ppm
Gh: 6 dGH
Kh: 8 dGH
Ph: 5.7
Temp: 79.3
EC uS/cm: 444 (electric conductivity). Don't have the TDS translation

The drop checker has been a constant nice solid green. No hint of blue.

So, it does not matter what nitrate:phosphate ratio is, 0:2 is way off.

I was planning on going to EI after finishing my mix of pps-pro. With the mix off, I'm going to switch to EI now.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #19
livingword26
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would dose your nitrates up to 10 - 15 ppm. Then watch them over the next few weeks and see what you need to do. You can use this as a guide:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944

but each tank is different. As your plant mass grows, your nutrients will be depleted faster. Then if you do a big trim, they nutrient use will go down. Over time you get the feel for what it needs.
29 gallon, Fluval 306. Aquatop PF25-UV Power Filter, 1x39 watt T5HO 7" above tank. P.F. Sand, Pressurized CO2, 5 Glowlight Tetra's, 3 Halequin Rasborah's, 3 neons, 2 Oto's, 5 Cherry Shrimp, 4 Amano Shrimp.
livingword26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #20
sphack
Planted Member

After a few days the hair algae is slowing down. Considering some shrimp, probably amanos, to help with the clean up.

I have a small patch of what I think might be thread algae. It sends out bright green threads, some inches long. When I pull them out the appear just like thread. Does this provide any insight into tanks problems?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:06 AM   #21
sphack
Planted Member

Good news, bad news.

My fish had been hiding more and more over the past few weeks. They were to the point that I would seldom see the bristle nose except at water change time. Occasionally in the mornings, some of the fish would look ill - darting around, trouble staying up right, etc. Turns out that my CO2 was too high.

I've read about paying attention to the fish. I have notice slight changes, but didn't not associate it with low O2. Most of the fish looked good, most of the time... Cardinals, apparently, are my canary of the aquarium - they tolerated the CO2 the worst.

My CO2 is controlled by a PH meter, about 1 degree of PH below the gassed reading.

Today, I added an air stone and man did the fish come alive. The panda cory's are bouncing off the wall. The cardinals are swimming more. The bristlenose are out and eating...

I'm going to keep the air stone running and the CO2 at about 1/2 degree above where it was set before. The drop checker was a nice green - no blue, no yellow. New 4dKH and reagent solutions. I'll see where it sits overnight with the air stone.

Now, time to see about the algae... Even with dosing KNO3, my nitrate levels were still very low ~2 ppm while the phosphate was also at 2 ppm. I will be dosing additional KNO3 and watching the readings.