Rocks for planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 08-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
abhishekls
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rocks for planted tank

Are these rocks useful for planted tank.

Will they alter water chemistry ?

I am not too sure about the rocks with holes, I have seen them in cichlid tanks. But not in planted ones.
Attached Images

abhishekls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Kworker
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

To my knowledge anything you add to a tank has potential to alter chemistry, and most rocks would do so... I had to take rocks out of my one tank before I added fish because it raised Ph too high from what I wanted it to be.. I'm sure someone more educated on topic will chime in but I would say yeah it would.
Goodluck
Kworker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Those look like the kind of rocks used here in cichlid tanks to raise the pH and KH. If you change water often then that might not be a bother. If these rocks are yours then put into a bucket with water. Have another bucket of the same water standing as well and test the water from each bucket once a week or so to see what happens. If the KH shoots up to 15 in a week and the other bucket's water is 2 then you might not want to use it. If the change is from 2 to 4 and you plan regular large water changes then it might be just fine. Plants use the minerals found in KH and GH, they aren't bad to have.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ditto: Those look like rocks that dissolve easily, such as Holey Rock, Limestone and related materials.

I would test these in a bucket of water, testing GH, KH and pH (TDS if you have a meter) every few days for a week, then weekly for as long as you want to run out the test.
I think you will find they would make good rocks for a hard water tank (live bearers, African Cichlids, certain Rainbows) or a brackish water tank.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.