What is it? How to get rid of it?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 08-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
INADAZE
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What is it? How to get rid of it?

I managed to get this nasty algae a few weeks ago and I was forced to rescape my 3-gallon betta tank because it destroyed my plants. The tank has been doing great until I noticed it's back last night! The only thing that was kept from before was the the Eco-Complete substrate, a piece of driftwood, and two small anubias.

What is it?

How do I get rid of it?

Tested the water two days ago and everything was within normal, blue and yellow. I've been dosing Seachem Flourish, Iron, Excel, Trace, and Potassium based on the recommended schedule. I have a single 13w CFL bulb that is on from 7 AM - 9 AM and from 1 PM - 10 PM. I've decided to shut the light off in the meantime.

Pictures for reference:

“Never be afraid to try, remember... Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic." ~Unknown
INADAZE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

First pic looks like some sort of thread algae? What's the flow like in this tank? Second pic looks like it could just be diatoms. Nothing major to worry about there. By Flourish I assume you mean Flourish Comprehensive? Same thing as Trace, really. I also don't see that you're dosing nitrogen or phosphorus. I don't know if it's the lighting, but some of those green plants look a bit yellow, which is a sign of nitrogen deficiency. Your nutrients are probably out of whack, and you've got a long photoperoid compounding the issue. Id cut your lighting down a few hours today, and start getting the other two macro ferts in there (nitrogen being the most important).
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
INADAZE
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
First pic looks like some sort of thread algae? What's the flow like in this tank? Second pic looks like it could just be diatoms. Nothing major to worry about there. By Flourish I assume you mean Flourish Comprehensive? Same thing as Trace, really. I also don't see that you're dosing nitrogen or phosphorus. I don't know if it's the lighting, but some of those green plants look a bit yellow, which is a sign of nitrogen deficiency. Your nutrients are probably out of whack, and you've got a long photoperoid compounding the issue. Id cut your lighting down a few hours today, and start getting the other two macro ferts in there (nitrogen being the most important).
By Flourish, I did mean Comprehensive. I wasn't aware it was the same as Trace. If you were to stop dosing with one, which would it be?

I've been wondering about Nitrogen since I started dosing. I had assumed that there was a enough in my tap water. My concern with phosphorus is the potential to breed more algae.

The yellowing on the Ludwigia should be the lighting. Again that's what I'm assuming.

Course of action... Cut off limbs with diatoms, reduce the photoperiod to 7-8 hours a day, start dosing Nitrogen, and possibly stop dosing Trace or Flourish. Any other suggestions?

“Never be afraid to try, remember... Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic." ~Unknown
INADAZE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

The first picture shows something I had a terrible time with. Sort of wispy mass and bits of brown stuck in it. I thought it was some form of very fine algae and debris got caught in it. Not stuck to anything but sort of tangled among the plants.

The second picture looks like Diatoms.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.