Venus Flytrap question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 09-04-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
Leeanna
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Venus Flytrap question

I understand that most carnivorous plants are native to wetlands. Would a Venus Flytrap do well with the roots submerged in a covered tank that is part planted fish tank, and half full of water? Has anyone ever tried adding a Venus Flytrap in a terraraium/ vivarium with the roots submerged in water, but the plant exposed to terrarium air, or would that be too wet and lead to root rot? Is this a bad idea?
Leeanna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2005, 05:51 PM   #2
Spar
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

from past readings on forums, my gatherings was that it needs to stay more dry then moist. So I think the roots in the water would be bad.

do a search at www.dendroboard.com on "venus fly trap" and see what comes up. there seems to be a lot of posts there about them.
100g - Planted Tank (mainly Swords)
http://photobucket.com/albums/v110/cbporter52/
Spar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2005, 05:24 AM   #3
yoink
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

I had one in a paludarium that did ok for about two months. It slowly died back, produced smaller leaves/traps, then those died too. It's roots were constantly wet, planted in shultz aquatic plant soil and sphagnum moss. I also tried a cobra lilly and some pitcher plants. The cobra lilly did the same thing as the VFT, but the pitcher plant hung on for a little while longer and even sprouted another pitcher. Alas it died also. Now all I have in there is moss and a small hosta from the back yard.
yoink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
DarkSoul
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to DarkSoul Send a message via MSN to DarkSoul

carnivours plants require living in an acidic NITROGEN FREE soil, or wetland.
there natural habitats are places where nitrogen is low enough that most normal plants wouldnt survive.
this is why they eat meat, they get all of there nuterients from the bugs etc that they catch and eat.
if you are trying to grow these plants in an aquarium with fish or whatever, they will naturally die due to the fact that they are getting way way way way way too much nitrogen/nitrates etc.

i used to grow these when i was younger and did a bunch of research on them.
i have this wicked badass book that gives you information on each type, its growing conditions and everything needed to care for whatever plant your reading up on.

i can give some info on VFT's if interested.
DarkSoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2005, 04:39 PM   #5
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

This web site has a lot of information on how to keep bog plants:
http://carnivorousplantnursery.com/index.htm
I met the guy, seems like he knows what he's talking about. We are planning to invite him to give a talk at our local club.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2005, 04:40 PM   #6
elgecko
Algae Grower

I grow many different CPs.
I also had VFT's when I was younger and watched them slowly die. A big problem is people water them with tap water. The heavy metals and other chemicals will kill CPs. You must use pure water such as RO, distilled, or rain water.
Here is a great place for info:
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

and my CP pages with pictures of some of my plants:
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/carnivorous.html
Old 09-20-2005, 04:42 PM   #7
elgecko
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy
This web site has a lot of information on how to keep bog plants:
http://carnivorousplantnursery.com/index.htm
I met the guy, seems like he knows what he's talking about. We are planning to invite him to give a talk at our local club.
Michael Szesze knows his stuff. I visited his nursery last year and bought a few plants from him.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:14 AM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgecko
I grow many different CPs.
A big problem is people water them with tap water. The heavy metals and other chemicals will kill CPs. You must use pure water such as RO, distilled, or rain water.
I am looking to keep these in my paludarium also. Luckily because there are many CPs indigious to my area, there are many people that keep and propagate them. Very strict laws protecting wild CPs here also. I was speaking with a gentleman who propagates them and he said there are three things that kill VFT in the care of inexperienced hobbyists.

Overwatering. He said to soak them, then mist daily until the peat starts to get on the moist/dry side and then soak again and mist and keep the cycle going. They will die if they are soaked all the time. He also warned about watering them with regular tap or well water because of the build up of heavy metals. He said to stay clear of using the water from your tank as most people have fertilizer in the water and it is enough to kill them over time. He also suggested RO water for watering and misting.

Over feeding. He said VFT are rather good at photosynthesis and the feeding is always a thrilling novelty for the new keepers but not necessary, they need be given meat once in a while.

Under lighting conditions. People will try and keep them in a lighting situation that does not allow them to perform photosynethesis at the level they need it.

Anyhow that was the extent of our conversation two days ago. Also remember that these are plants that have a dormancy period in the middle of winter. Some people that keep them in ideal conditions will cut back the hours of light they recieve to bring about thier dormancy and then move them to a cool area for a month.

Dave
Zaphod_Beeblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2005, 01:01 PM   #9
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSoul
carnivours plants require living in an acidic NITROGEN FREE soil, or wetland.
there natural habitats are places where nitrogen is low enough that most normal plants wouldnt survive.
this is why they eat meat, they get all of there nuterients from the bugs etc that they catch and eat.
if you are trying to grow these plants in an aquarium with fish or whatever, they will naturally die due to the fact that they are getting way way way way way too much nitrogen/nitrates etc.

i used to grow these when i was younger and did a bunch of research on them.
i have this wicked badass book that gives you information on each type, its growing conditions and everything needed to care for whatever plant your reading up on.

i can give some info on VFT's if interested.

he's right on about the lack of nutrient requirement! Two of my committee members were "experts" in pitcher plants, wetlands and carnivorous plants in general (Drs. George and Debby Folkerts).

I would think Venus Fly traps have similar requirements, but they are native to the Carolinas (mostly the Charleston, SC and coastal region). Pretty harsh habitat for a plant!
Old 11-04-2005, 04:59 PM   #10
elgecko
Algae Grower

Here's a picture of my minibog.
I have Dentate Traps, Red Dragon, Typical - Venus Flytraps, Drosera rotundifolia, and Drosera filiformis ssp. filiformis FL Red.

Old 11-04-2005, 06:29 PM   #11
Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Algae Grower

Do you keep them outdoors all year in PA?

Dave
Old 11-04-2005, 11:59 PM   #12
Marc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Ive also read that they like water with no mineral content. Im using RO water with mine and they seem to be doing okay.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:24 AM   #13
elgecko
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Do you keep them outdoors all year in PA?
I keep them outside till the weather hits freezing. Then I move them into my garage that is in the low 50's till the weather warms up above freezing again.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:24 AM   #14
Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Algae Grower

I was looking at your websight, very nice. I thought you might want to know in your signature you have http:/www.geocities.com/elgecko1989, you need to add a backslash so it is http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989

Dave
Old 11-07-2005, 04:30 PM   #15
elgecko
Algae Grower

Glad you like my site.
Thanks for letting me know about the missing / in my address.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.