my little eden - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #16
chicken
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
Chicken, did you use a dry start or not for the HC to get established in the soil? I just noticed it looks like you used normal type Amazonian (or a substrate with similar sized granules). I wasn't planning on doing a dry start and am wondering if I should add a layer of power type soil to help the groundcovers stay put while the roots develop a foothold.
No, I did not use a dry start for the HC. I planted with just a little water in the tank, filled it carefully, and it did fine. There was the occasional stem or clump that wouldn't stay planted at first, but it wasn't a big deal.

In the long run, the dry start wouldn't have been all that helpful to me. After awhile, the HC would grow into such a thick layer that it worked best to pull it out and replant it. So a dry start might have worked well when setting up the tank, but not for subsequent plantings.

Thanks for the compliments on the tank. That was from a few years ago. It looks like this now: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1744961-post21.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #17
Eholt

PTrader: (1/100%)

Any updates? I have the same inspiration for a future tank and would love hear about your experience setting up the aquascape.
Eholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #18
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Nice tank idea, looking forward to seeing some progress on this. I just visited family that lives in Colorado Springs for the first time and I can definitely understand the warm, fuzzy feeling and the thoughts behind the inspiration of your tank. It was gorgeous out there.
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:05 AM   #19
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Hi Eholt & Kamikazi, thanks for your posts. Sorry it's been a while since I've been on, I'm just seeing your replies now.

Since my tank is pretty narrow (only 20cm), it was difficult trying to create the depth of the foreground needed to get the original look that I was going for. So, I decided instead to create something a little more abstract...

Here's the view from where I sit at my desk...

The angle of the stone pattern reminds me of the flatirons, as I imagine them closer, from a birdseye view. Even though flagstone wouldn't be as pitted... I liked the way the texture of this stone helps to create some depth to the tank.

The soil is not yet finished (thus the sloppy look of it now). I'm getting in some aqua soil amazonia powder for the top layer, and figuring out what plants to do. Thinking of staying pretty low with ground covers.

All I need now is my CO2 system and I'm looking to swap out the light for a sleeker version.

Getting excited to seeing it come together. =)
bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #20
MameJenny
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just thought I'd say that I love the idea behind this tank. I live in Boulder, so I see the Flatirons every day. I just love the idea of a tank based on them. Can't wait to see how this tank turns out.
MameJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #21
moosenart
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

Gotta love Colorado!

I ride motorcycles.
moosenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:23 AM   #22
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosenart View Post
Gotta love Colorado!

MameJenny, thanks! It's really starting to come together and I'm excited to see it finished too. =)
Old 08-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #23
acejohn
Algae Grower

Nice rocks you got there! Can't wait to see this done!
acejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #24
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejohn View Post
Nice rocks you got there! Can't wait to see this done!
thanks, John! I'm waiting for aqual soil powder type to be back in stock at AFA as I think it will look better as the top layer.

In the meantime, I'm working on what plants to do... either a single, low ground cover or a trio that is mostly ground cover with two additional but I'm not sure what yet.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #25
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's a sketchy idea for a planting plan:

the large plant in the left is a green tiger lotus (too big?) surrounded with dwarf hair grass (eleocharis acicularis); riccia fluitans growing in the holes on the rock and hc for the groundcover.

Another idea is to skip the lotus and just stick with the dhg, riccia and hc:

Last edited by bluestems; 08-25-2012 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: added second
Old 08-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #26
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think these will be the inhabitants...

spotted dwarf rasboras x9

tiger shrimp x6

African dwarf frogs x2

I've had the frogs in tanks in the past and looking forward to having them again.

Also, I sold the light fixture and am all set to order this light just as soon as the aqua soil powder comes in... sometime this week! It's sooooo hard being patient. I thought about driving to Portland to visit the Wet Spot to get the items.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:44 AM   #27
bawigga
Algae Grower

Checking out this thread and low and behold, BOULDER, CO! Just did that hike up Chataqua to the Royal Arches a few weeks ago.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:57 AM   #28
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawigga View Post
Checking out this thread and low and behold, BOULDER, CO! Just did that hike up Chataqua to the Royal Arches a few weeks ago.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

small world =) I've never hiked up to the arch, but I hear it's beautiful! Chautauqua is still one of my favorite parks... we were thinking of renting one of the cottages for a future family vacation.

I still need a few more items before I can plant. I'm awaiting a shipment of Mekong sand for a top layer and some ADA Brightly Step 1. All that is left is the CO2 setup, and a light. I was all set to purchase the Archaea LED, then ADA announces:

I REALLY want this light... but the Archaea is $80 vs. the initial pricing of ~$325 for the 45cm.

Not sure what to do.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:07 AM   #29
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
I think these will be the inhabitants...

spotted dwarf rasboras x9

tiger shrimp x6

African dwarf frogs x2

I've had the frogs in tanks in the past and looking forward to having them again.

Also, I sold the light fixture and am all set to order this light just as soon as the aqua soil powder comes in... sometime this week! It's sooooo hard being patient. I thought about driving to Portland to visit the Wet Spot to get the items.
oooooo! i have two of those lights! just be careful, the light don't have heat sinks so they get slightly warm, also the transformers they come with get HOT
tetra10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:14 AM   #30
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra10 View Post
oooooo! i have two of those lights! just be careful, the light don't have heat sinks so they get slightly warm, also the transformers they come with get HOT
Thanks, that's good info to know. How do the lights grow plants for you? Are they good with carpeting plants, like riccia and HC?