Dean's 1 Foot Cube Tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Dean really sweet tank! I'm new here and actually just registered to comment on your project you got going on here... I've been considering Mr. Aqua tanks and comparing them to ADA and Do!Aqua. The price of these Mr. Aqua's are quite attractive. Anyway, just wanted to know where you got that Archaea 27 light fixture and how much was it? I'm also considering some Catalina Aquarium Lighthouse fixtures... but haven't settled on one yet.
Brian_Cali77 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #17
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (143/100%)

That's a sweet little setup.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 11:39 PM   #18
AquaDean
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Just about 4 weeks into this project and Iíve given the moss tree a haircut. Itís really starting to take shape and fill in nicely. It was a royal pain trying to get all the little bits of moss from the trimming out of the tank. The moss trimmings do float up and they tend to stick to all the other mosses in the tank. If anyone has easy ways to accomplish this please share because I was at it for over an hour. Hereís the whole shot tank this week:

I also went ahead with my idea of adding some ADA Amazonia II substrate to the tank to try to get the KH to come down a bit. Just to be on the safe side I only added a ľ cup at a time over 3 days and watched the tank levels carefully. No ammonia so the filter and mosses must be handling it well. KN came down a little but I still want it down a little more so might add some more Amazonia II in another week or so. The good thing is by using the smaller grade of Amazonia II it blends right in with the fine gravel substrate and you can hardly tell it is there.

Out in my yard I found some dead twigs that had probably been dried up for a couple years. I took some of the twigs and boiled the crap out of them then cut the few that I wanted and stuck them in the back left corner of the tank. Iím not looking at reducing the size of the intake sponge to make it a little more discreet. Another thought Iíve been having is Eheim makes that prefilter thing that sets down in the substrate. Maybe I could do a DIY Nano sized one, could be a new challenge? This would be a way I could get that intake sponge completely out of sight. (just thinking out loud, but weíll see).

I did make it out to one of my favorite LFS and picked up a start of dwarf marsilea for the front left corner. Straight out of one of their show tanks, how about that? I do have to say this was the most frustrating plant to plant that Iíve ever seen. Iíd get one piece all in place then up it would come as I did the next piece. The CRS shrimp babies in the tank (there are about 80 of them now) had to just be laughing at me. Iím looking forward to seeing how it does.

The moss behind the tree that is a lighter green in color is really nice. I think I purchased it as ďstringy mossĒ but canít remember for sure. It is fine individual strands and is growing upright almost like grass. I donít think Iíll let it get much taller but do want it to fill in some more and want to keep the varying heights of the strands, so cutting it might be a challenge.
The other mosses seem to be doing fine some growing faster than others but all and all pretty good. The final shot for today is a closer in picture of the tree:

Can any of you lighting and fertilizer experts out there give me some direction for a good routine that will help to insure that the tank doesnít get over come with algae? There is about 6 gallons of water in the tank and Iíve been keeping the light on for 8 hours a day. Iíve been getting just a little bit of bright green algae on the glass so far. Water changes have been about 40% once a week and top offs with RO water.
Hope you enjoy!
AquaDean is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #19
AlexXx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Man im obsessed wit this tank! the tiny baby CRS are so cute haha. Also what is that moss/plant behind the tree?

that stuff ^^^ its awesome!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:15 AM   #20
AquaDean
Planted Member

AlexXx,
That moss is some that I purchased under the name Stringy moss from no ebay links allowed It tends to grow upright and I've just tied it to a couple stones with some netting and it started growing upright. I like it because of the different texture and lighter color.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #21
AquaDean
Planted Member

Well itís been a couple weeks and Iíve been really busy with new work load and trying to keep up with everything else. The moss tree is doing great but does need a little pruning as does the rest of the tank. This probably wonít happen for another week as Iíve got to head out of town for a few days. Iíve had a couple of the Erios melt away and donít know if they will come back. I might end up taking them out of this tank and turn it into a moss only in it. The other mosses in the tank are doing great and the stringy moss behind the tree really looks nice and Iím ready to cut it and start some more clusters of it. I didnít do any new pictures but have been playing with a video camera so below is a link to a short video that I did. Iíll be pruning everything up before the next update so it will probably look a little different. I should say the shrimp are really doing well in this tank and sometimes Iíll see 20 or more of them up in the moss tree. I still canít get the KH down where Iíd like, itís running about 5 and Iíd like it to be around 2. But the tank is working so Iím not feeling the need to change things up. Also getting some algae on the glass, especially the left side so might cut down the light from 8 hours a day to 7. Hereís the video link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt8vk04fT5A

Old 04-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #22
sharkbite
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

wow~ awesome tank you got there!
sharkbite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #23
funkyfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish

Looks great! How often do you trim? I wanna make a tree with my manzanita but I'm thinking using fissidens for that.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:41 AM   #24
Digsy
humble bumble

PTrader: (164/100%)

This is an amazing tank! I can't stop looking at that tree, it's the best "tree" I've seen on here. Any photo updates?
Old 05-20-2010, 04:31 AM   #25
bitFUUL
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Good Lookin' on the advice from the other post Dean, I went ahead with the Mr. Aqua Cube as well. Very clean looking scape, and those CRS are looking rich... would love to nab some offspring.

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #26
bikeny
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Any update on this tank? I am working on a tree as well and would love some inspiration!

Mark
bikeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #27
AquaDean
Planted Member

Default Been quite a while but here's an update

Well it's been quite a while with this tank and as I've been doing some home remodeling I've neglected the tank. But even so it looks like with some careful trimming the tank will come back to all its neatness. So here is a picture of how the tank looks in it's neglected state. I hope to give it a good pruning and cleaning over the next week. The shrimp BTW simply love all the moss.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:10 AM   #28
kifeter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Im loving the tank! The shrimp looks awesome. Such a clean look. I just got the same tank dimensions in ADA. Im thinking about putting a stump in there and some mosses as well
kifeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #29
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I love the DIY Zip Tie Moss Tree. Very clever! I'm in the DSM plotting out plants for a moss tree. I love your setup well done!
tylergvolk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.