NYC SwapMeet & LFS tour: Sept 9th [group photo added]
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

View Poll Results: Proposed meeting location
Flushing, Queens 9 22.50%
Lower East Side, Manhattan 32 80.00%
Other: please suggest 4 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)
Lightbulb

NYC SwapMeet & LFS tour: Sept 9th [group photo added]

There were several others that temporarily left to meet gtu2004 while the photo was taken. We all had great fun. Looking forward to the next one.

Update:

We're on for Sept 9th, rain or shine.

2:00pm Meet up at Pacific Aquarium (46 Delancy Street, New york, ny)
2:30pm Find a bar/restaurant/coffee shop a block away. plenty to choose from to share/trade/sell
3:00pm Walk to 4 other shops: 123/WIN/Aquastar/38 Aquarium
Google map: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...07392,0.007821

4:00pm go home and put the plants, shrimp and fish into our tanks!

The F train stops at Delancy st, J/M/Z trains at Essex st.
Free street parking on Sundays otherwise there's public parking lot on Essex Street (north of Delancy).

To those starting a new tank or in need of anything, please speak up. The same for those excess w/accessories to clear out.
Come out to make friends, learn and trade stuff. It should be a blast!

Last edited by acitydweller; 09-17-2012 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: updating first post
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

I'm up for either location. However, if you need a place to sit in the LES, there's a public park across from Pacific. Other than that, it's kinda hard finding a place to sit and relax that isn't a restaurant.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
JoraaĐ
TÝrŰd ─▀ˇűt ╦σ R╔├ÝrŰ

PTrader: (351/100%)

Why not some where in Mid town?
Why Flushing/China town or LES?

Reason why I asked 2nd Question: See I'm at Sunnyside..for me it takes 45 mins to get to Flushing in #7 train, to LES/china town 1 hour 15-20 minutes...changing 2 train...either from Queensboro plaza or Grand central. Now Do I want to waste 1+ hour just in transit to meet fellow hobbyist?? To Swap some Weeds, shrimps etc.

Say some 1 is coming from the Bronx, Brooklyn, SI...he has to take a(x)train to Manhattan then transfer to another(Y) train for either location mentioned. Now from Brooklyn to Manhattan say 45 mintues in a(X) train then another 1 hour in (Y) train to get to Flushing or other location or VV minute wise...So why not some where in the middle? It will be fair for all...Say somewhere in Bryant park(Time Square) area. This way all will rid only 1 train...#7 from sunnyside to Grand central...or #6 from Harlem to Grand central etc...If not all most train stops at Times Square or nearby station.

I may come I might not...this is only my opinion...One of the local member here long time back wanted to do same thing what you are planning to do but didn't worked out...
JoraaĐ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
I'm up for either location. However, if you need a place to sit in the LES, there's a public park across from Pacific. Other than that, it's kinda hard finding a place to sit and relax that isn't a restaurant.
What about the Whole Foods? People seem to just gather there for no apparent reason, not sure if the store actually cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joraan View Post
I may come I might not...this is only my opinion...One of the local member here long time back wanted to do same thing what you are planning to do but didn't worked out...
It didn't work out because that person wanted to (among other things..) hold the meeting in Astoria, which was unideal for just about everyone. Most people had suggested the LES as a better spot during that time.
leviathan0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

I like the idea of LES because we can all meet up at or near Pacific, talk/trade/hug or whatever, then walk and visit 4 nearby shops together which i think is pretty cool... Great opportunity for those outside of manhattan who haven't been to Pacific/123/WIN/aquastar to score some deals.

Bryant park is cool to meet but subject to the weather and there's not much to do around there. There's Cafe o' on 42nd and Duke Cafe on the next street that can host our meet indoors there.

14th street union square is cool because there's usually a street fair on sundays and there's the flagship petco to checkout afterwards.

Our last meet was at fishtown u.s.a / Oasis Cafe so i know that's definitely doable for some queens/long island folks.

In flushing, there's Northern aquarium/petland discounts. if we can arrange rides, we could extend it to hole in the wall shops:Kissena aquarium (discus/koi/ reasonably sized fresh and salt water stock) and rainbow aquarium (carrying discus/cichlid/CRS/food/supplements).

i think the meeting place is probably more important to narrow down first as the rest can be sorted out soon after. im sure if we needed to invade a whole foods or starbucks nearby, its all doable.

This meetup should be worthwhile and fun for everyone. Not to mention we haven't collected a list of stuff people are bringing or offering. definitely some goodie bag stuff going around for the community

Oh yeah, we arent going to people's houses in astoria so please don't ask :p

Again, posing ideas.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
MrBrongher
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I didn't vote, because I think I could do either.

If we go to Flushing I'm in other peoples hands - I don't know the neighborhood at all and I have no idea where we should go, but it would all be new to me, which is a plus.

If we do the LES, well I sorta know the area and I've been to all those stores, but not lately, and they are great stores. Plus, there are plenty of bars where we could grab a few tables and some grub.

Is anyone who is thinking of coming under 21? That limits our easy seating options, but it's still doable.
MrBrongher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

May i ask everyone to vote for either or both locations so we get an idea of who can make it to which place.

Its not a firm commitment by any means but gives everyone an idea of who's interested in the meet and which place is more convenient.

If anyone's barely legal and too shy to say, just pm me
Old 07-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
cprash
Keeper of Pencilfish

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cprash

I voted for both, is that ok?

EDIT: Saw your post, guess it is ok. LOL
Old 07-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Of all days, you pick the one where I'll be away on vacation Depending on how many people go, it might be kinda awkward trying to fit into Win or Aquastar hahahahahaha.
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Instead of complaining I just voted. I don't mind where we meet I think this will be fun either way.
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #11
MrBrongher
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Voted.
MrBrongher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
Of all days, you pick the one where I'll be away on vacation Depending on how many people go, it might be kinda awkward trying to fit into Win or Aquastar hahahahahaha.
the date isnt carved in stone. we can move forward or back. just needed a starting point to get the talks going.

Yeah... WIN might be passable but aquastar, hmm that's the proverbial hole in the wall. There might not be enough oxygen in that place for all of us and cat, birds... However i always find hidden gems there. For example, they had bamboo and vampires the other week, where no other places had them.

From time to time, they also sell decent quality cherries for $2.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
eeng168
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

Quote:
Why not some where in Mid town?
Why Flushing/China town or LES?

Reason why I asked 2nd Question: See I'm at Sunnyside..for me it takes 45 mins to get to Flushing in #7 train, to LES/china town 1 hour 15-20 minutes...changing 2 train...either from Queensboro plaza or Grand central. Now Do I want to waste 1+ hour just in transit to meet fellow hobbyist?? To Swap some Weeds, shrimps etc.

Say some 1 is coming from the Bronx, Brooklyn, SI...he has to take a(x)train to Manhattan then transfer to another(Y) train for either location mentioned. Now from Brooklyn to Manhattan say 45 mintues in a(X) train then another 1 hour in (Y) train to get to Flushing or other location or VV minute wise...So why not some where in the middle? It will be fair for all...Say somewhere in Bryant park(Time Square) area. This way all will rid only 1 train...#7 from sunnyside to Grand central...or #6 from Harlem to Grand central etc...If not all most train stops at Times Square or nearby station.

My parents live in Sunnyside and I work in LIC, it does not take 45 minutes to get to Flushing and 1 hour 15-20 minutes to get to Chinatown.

It take 35 minutes from LIC (Hunters Point stop) to get to Flushing, and only about 40 minutes to get to Chinatown...via the 7 to Grand Central and then the 6.

Anyway, Times Square/Bryant Park would be convenient to get to for everyone, but what's the point in that? There's nothing there and after meeting up, everyone would still have to travel to Flushing or Chinatown for the shops.
eeng168 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #14
JoraaĐ
TÝrŰd ─▀ˇűt ╦σ R╔├ÝrŰ

PTrader: (351/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeng168 View Post
It take 35 minutes from LIC (Hunters Point stop) to get to Flushing, and only about 40 minutes to get to Chinatown...via the 7 to Grand Central and then the 6.

WOW! Really..MTA must have Super train for YOU on Weekends...How about the waiting time to get B train from A train...Walking time to climb up to Grand Central to Get #6 train...
JoraaĐ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #15
eeng168
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

Quote:
WOW! Really..MTA must have Super train for YOU on Weekends...How about the waiting time to get B train from A train...Walking time to climb up to Grand Central to Get #6 train...
1) Ummm...maybe YOU need to be in better shape?

2) Or take the escalator since you can't handle the walk? Oh wait, the downdraft of the wind might increase your travel time as well.

3) And also, a map would help greatly if you find yourself taking a B to an A. Before you make another excuse...oops, I mean...sure they may be out of maps, then download an app onto your phone to have a map accessible.

4) 7 train to the 6 is all you need...but somehow I think you already know this......ergo this conversation is pointless to continue.

Best thing for you is probably not to attend, we wouldn't want you to " go out of your way" and travel over an hour just to meet people here to exchange ideas/items and have a good time.

Last edited by eeng168; 08-03-2012 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: typo
eeng168 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.