Hair Algae - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 08-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (175/100%)

Your photo period should be around 6 hours daily, a step down from the original 8. alternatively, consider spliting the photo hours to 3 hour cycles with an hour dark period in between as an experiment.

Another view to take is the tank is too sparcely planted and not able to sufficiently take advantage of the light available.

Most floaters can tolerate a bit of surface agitation unless your water is flipping them upside down and all around which it shouldnt. One that's easily disturbed would be salvinia (spangles) that turns brown when submerged for a few days.
What does disappearing mean? are they being eaten or are they suffering from necrosis, or turning yellowing then dying?

Mind you, cutting back on the light period wont completely eliminate the algae. it only serves to stop its spread. If you are apprehensive in using hydrogen peroxide or excel in the tank, you can use the dip method. Take the plant out and dip in a 75/25 solution h2o2/water for 30 seconds, rinse with clean water, then replant in the tank.

Its one of the safer ways to deal with algae without directly affecting your water column.
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #17
KenRC51
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Your photo period should be around 6 hours daily, a step down from the original 8. alternatively, consider spliting the photo hours to 3 hour cycles with an hour dark period in between as an experiment.

Another view to take is the tank is too sparcely planted and not able to sufficiently take advantage of the light available.

Most floaters can tolerate a bit of surface agitation unless your water is flipping them upside down and all around which it shouldnt. One that's easily disturbed would be salvinia (spangles) that turns brown when submerged for a few days.
What does disappearing mean? are they being eaten or are they suffering from necrosis, or turning yellowing then dying?

Mind you, cutting back on the light period wont completely eliminate the algae. it only serves to stop its spread. If you are apprehensive in using hydrogen peroxide or excel in the tank, you can use the dip method. Take the plant out and dip in a 75/25 solution h2o2/water for 30 seconds, rinse with clean water, then replant in the tank.

Its one of the safer ways to deal with algae without directly affecting your water column.
I don't think they are getting eaten. I think they might of just melted but I don't even see the plant melting. It just started disappearing 1 by 1 all of a sudden.

Could this be from my LED? I notice them disappearing when I change my CFL 13watt (60watt reg bulb) 6500k to a 12" 7000k LED fungeray light.

Also with the LED light, the light is only about 1 inch away from water vs my CFL at about 6-8 inch above water.

I'll take all my fissiden out and dip in H2O2 and excel this weekend.

Tags
algae, crs, hair algae