Newbie, could someone please sign off on my choices? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #16
exv152
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

As far as how many plants to plant, I'd suggest planting heavily at first. I wouldn't be too concerned about exactly how many plants to get, just make sure you've filled the tank well. This will help with algae, especially if you use some fast growing stem plants like hoppy suggested - hygrophila especially.

One other item you've missed is fertilizers. With a non co2 setup you'll probably just need a good micro nutrient like seachem flourish comprehensive. And I'd dose once every week to two weeks.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

sunyang730 - Sorry, I was not clear, I have multiple tanks, so will breed the shrimp in a non-fish tank. As Hoppy mentioned, the plants I'll be starting won't require DSM.

raven_wilde - Interesting that both the species you mentioned are originally from Myanmar - but it did say they like soft water - pretty sure we have hard water around here.

exv152 - Thanks for the clarification on what heavily planted means. Regarding ferts, the logs I've read indicate that a low-light, non-CO2, MTS substrated tank won't require any ferts beyond potassium once in a while. Maybe with non-MTS you require ferts?

I went out to pick stuff up today. Clay, check. Dirt, check. Potash/dolomite, check, arrived in the mail today (thanks Nilocg!). However, the blasting grit I picked up was the wrong kind, so had to return it. This weekend, if time permits, I will start the MTS process.

I also stopped by Big Al's with my shopping list...and decided I'll have to source plants from local growers - the prices were 4x or more what I've seen online! Yeek.

They also did not have any RCS. Hm.

Hopefully I can find enough local growers to supply plants and shrimpies.
crazymittens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #18
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quick update...I'll be updating my tank log with anything further. Picked up the equipment from my friend, and there is a ton of stuff. The filter unfortunately looks like it's 50% the capacity I need (GPH-wise), so might be doing a sump setup (I know, 30G doesn't really benefit from a sump). I have a sufficient pump, just no appropriate filtration method.

The MTS is in the initial rinse cycle, so hopefully more updates in the next week or so.

Anyways, thanks for the input!
crazymittens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.