Suggestions For a 5 Gallon Tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
OrangeAugust
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Suggestions For a 5 Gallon Tank?

Hi, I'm new. I just bought a 5 gallon tank for a betta and a nerite snail that I will be purchasing soon. I've had bettas before but in really small tanks, so I basically just had gravel and a fake plant. But now I'd love to have a planted tank for my betta and snail. Since it's my first planted tank, it's a small tank, and I don't want to spend a lot of cash, what kind of plants would you all suggest? I'd like to have some long grassy or skinny-leafed thing in the back left corner, then something shorter, more lush with larger leaves in front of that going towards the middle, some kind of moss or short grass from the left side toward the middle and maybe along the front, and some kind of smallish plant on the right side one in the back and one in the front... maybe something long that will grow up and then grow along the water on the top. I'd like to have some kind of little cave or just a mini terra cotta pot or something on the right side on the bottom for my fish to hide in.
So far I've only looked at the plants in Petco stores. One Petco store I went to had lots and lots of live plants, but at that time I wasn't even really thinking of a planted tank. I just went in to get some scratching posts for my cat and ended up looking at the fish for a while. lol. So I didn't really notice specifically what plants they had, but they had a lot. Then I went to another Petco yesterday, and their selection of live plants was pretty poor. As were their selection of bettas. Though they said they will be getting more bettas on Friday. I don't know about the plants, though.
Anyway... I also just read about another local aquarium store that supposedly has a lot of live plants. So I might have more options if I go there.
So it would be great if someone could give me suggestions based on my description of what I'd like to do with my small 5 gallon tank with plants that are relatively easy to find in chain pet stores or local independent ones.

Also, I'm not planning on having a filter because I don't really need one for a betta. So I don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, moss, plants, small tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.