Cleveland aquarium open Jan 21st
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Ohio

Old 12-31-2011, 04:19 AM   #1
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Cleveland aquarium open Jan 21st

It's been almost twenty years that Cleveland has been talking about a new aquarium and the day is finally here that they are opening their doors, the nice part is its only a 15 min walk from my apartment (if they fix the swing bridge) otherwise a 5 min drive. I will be a member and spending a lot of free time there. from what I've seen there will se nice large displays I'm hoping for some planted tanks and a few terrarium/paludariums I'll keep you all posted once it opens and I can spend some time there..

Len
lbacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)

Yea... It will be a nice addition to Cleveland. We definitely need it!
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Fishyfanatic
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Sorry

I don't see it being a long term thing...it's run by Jacobs Group who is only in it to make a quick buck for a few years then he will dump it...people should have supported the "Cleveland Aquarium" they are run by former members of the Cleveland aquarium society. And wanted to build a much better facility in several possible sites in cleveland. The "Greater Cleveland Aquarium" is over priced and has more of focus on $$$ rather then education and conservation...it's will be gone in 3-5 years...

Last edited by Fishyfanatic; 02-18-2012 at 01:03 PM..
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
klaus07
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

That is a very pessimistic view, while I agree that competent aquarists are a great commodity for the successful operation of an aquarium, I would be skeptical if aquarists manage and operate it. It takes a lot of business savvy to make one these things run.

I look forward to the trip up I-71 after the (brown snow melts) to visit the new Cleveland Aquarium.
klaus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Java Moss
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus07 View Post
That is a very pessimistic view, while I agree that competent aquarists are a great commodity for the successful operation of an aquarium, I would be skeptical if aquarists manage and operate it. It takes a lot of business savvy to make one these things run.

I look forward to the trip up I-71 after the (brown snow melts) to visit the new Cleveland Aquarium.

I'm from the Colerain area, moved up to Cleveland a few years ago, and unfortunately, Fishyfanatic could very well be correct. Things up here that serve an educational purpose never seem to last unless it involves sports or free pizza....which usually ends up requiring police intervention.

I'll be sure to follow up here if it looks to be a carbon copy of Newport.
The longer I'm involved in this hobby the more & more I'm convinced that Bio-Type species tanks are the way to go. Plants and fish/inverts live together in nature for a reason. I find the less I try to fight nature the better my tanks look.

- DogFish 1.24.12
Java Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Sukhoi
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Sukhoi

I am also from the Cincinnati area and is very curious about this aquarium. I haven't been up to Cleveland since 2005. I used to love the Newport aquarium and even had an annual pass, but it had got very expensive and is often very crowded(imo). I would love to see pictures of the place when it open.
Sukhoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

I find that a lot of people in Cleveland are ignorant about a lot of things, we should be glad that a private interest wanted to build an aquarium in Cle it's great that the local club members wanted a $50 million dollar exhibit but over the last 20 years they have gone nowhere with the idea because the city won't fund it (this shouldn't be a suprise to anyone in Cleveland) if the aquarium is supported by the public it will last and do well I have posted a number of comments on the Facebook threads bashing the price of the aquarium $23 adults and $15 kids this is cheaper than most aquariums and right in line with the closest comparison aquariums (new England and Tennessee). People even bashed the $3 weekday $5 weekend parking fees saying it should be free like the zoo (one of the only zoos to have free parking). This is why things fail in Cleveland not because a business interest is only concerned on making money, they will stay and do well if Cleveland supports it but I already see people bashing it before it even opened its doors.

Len
Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
THaehn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I hate to break it to you guys but the Cleveland Aquarium is terribly disappointing. I visited with my girlfriend over the weekend and was extremely let down. Not a single live plant or live coral. I have never seem so many plastic neon corals in my life. Most of the saltwater fish had marine ich and the shark tank was so cloudy you couldn't see to the other side. At $22 per person it is not inexpensive and especially when you are through the entire building in 45 minutes. I was so excited that we were finally getting a "proper" aquarium but it is anything but. Seems like the above poster was correct. This aquarium will probably not last unless they drastically change their displays.
THaehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

I agree I was there 2 weeks ago and I was amazed at how bad it was, the public aquarium in a box concept they used (the company supposedly has built and currently runs 22 aquariums) sucks. No real reef tanks no live plant tanks the fish don't look healthy the only tank that had potential (a walk through shark tank) was too cloudy to see the sharks. I bought a membership so I will check it out after the initial break in but unless they change the concpt I'm thinking it will be a flop. Way to go Cleveland, from sport to aquariums can never do it right..

Len
Old 02-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
Fishyfanatic
Algae Grower

I hate to be that guy, but i told you so. People were trying to bring "the Cleveland Aquarium" to Cleveland again. This would have been a much larger facility with REAL corals and plants. This is unfortunate, but when you dont work with the RIGHT people this is what happens. The only things you guys can hope for is that the aquarium improves (not likely) or that is closes and that "the Cleveland Aquarium" group can make something happen. Which will be hard considering the large FAIL this will probably be, and then at the point the aquarium idea will leave a "bad taste" in the mouth of the city and investors. We can ONLY HOPE!

sorry guys!
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Burks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Guess I'll skip them and drive an extra 40 minutes to go to Toledo Zoo and look at real aquariums (I know some of the keepers).
Filstar Pimp #84
Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:56 AM   #12
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic View Post
I hate to be that guy, but i told you so. People were trying to bring "the Cleveland Aquarium" to Cleveland again. This would have been a much larger facility with REAL corals and plants. This is unfortunate, but when you dont work with the RIGHT people this is what happens. The only things you guys can hope for is that the aquarium improves (not likely) or that is closes and that "the Cleveland Aquarium" group can make something happen. Which will be hard considering the large FAIL this will probably be, and then at the point the aquarium idea will leave a "bad taste" in the mouth of the city and investors. We can ONLY HOPE!

sorry guys!
The problem is the Cleveland Aquarium group has tried for 20+ years to bring an aquarium and had no luck, the city said the whole time they wanted one so somehow there was something missing, I have heard grand ideas about an aquarium to rival Shedd in Chicago but no statements on how to pay for it, it's a shame but I think the group looked to big and never found a way to fund what they wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
Mishmosh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Yup, disappointed along with the rest of you who went. Most tanks were barren. Very dim lighting. Not a lot of educational bits. Hopefully, they plan to continually improve. Price should be $10-12 range for adults. To compare pricing to Tennessee or Seattle or New England is a stretch--all 3 are much better.

I was in Toronto recently and their art museum had two tanks that blew away the tanks at the cleveland aquarium. Art museum!!! There is talk in that town of building a world-class aquarium so that will be a real treat to see since I go there often.
Mishmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
amygirl11
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Thanks everybody, you just saved me $23.00. Nothing seems to last in Cleveland.
amygirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
Java Moss
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amygirl11 View Post
Thanks everybody, you just saved me $23.00. Nothing seems to last in Cleveland.
Tell me about it. I used to complain about Cincinnati being a mess, until I moved here. Wife and I are considering heading back.

Not to mention the LFS's here around Cleveland are getting rather depressing. Something Fishy's given me nothing but dead plecos, Pet's Choice just closed, RMS consoladated 4 stores into 1 and even that one place is getting unpredictable...and the box stores are carrying nothing but fit-rot and slow movers sold for $1 a pop.

Local supplier, perhaps. Either way, starting to get sick of Cleveland. Not to mention both my cars not even 4 years old need new suspensions because these clowns couldn't pave a road that lasts two months.
The longer I'm involved in this hobby the more & more I'm convinced that Bio-Type species tanks are the way to go. Plants and fish/inverts live together in nature for a reason. I find the less I try to fight nature the better my tanks look.

- DogFish 1.24.12
Java Moss is offline   Reply With Quote