Can i grow Dwarf Hair Grass?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
DevonG
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can i grow Dwarf Hair Grass?

I desperately need some advice please. I'd like to carpet my aquarium with dwarf hair grass and have done a lot of research on it. But, everything I've read contradicts or says different things! My main question is, do i have to use co2 to carpet this stuff? My aquarium is a 60 gallon cube (24x24x24) and I'm using a 250 watt halight. I plan on using aqua soil substrate as well as flourish products for fert. possibly root tabs as well. but I've read people saying you can't carpet this stuff without co2 so now I'm all worried and what not! please help... thanks in advance!

-Devon
DevonG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
Yoemen66
Algae Grower

to might be able to grow the dHG, but with that light without CO2 you will probably have it full of ALGAE as well, which won't look good. You have the lighting, but with that much light you will grow Algae faster then grass.
Yoemen66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Ahura-sama
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

You'll be fine. It'll take a while w/ no CO2 but it'll carpet. DHG is not that demanding. Much easier than HC
Ahura-sama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
DevonG
Algae Grower

hmm.. i see, thanks for the quick replies. so ill probably have to do quite a bit of tank cleaning for the algae before my carpet gets established?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
DevonG
Algae Grower

Oh, i also have one more question. If i choose to put aqua soil in the aquarium, do i need anything else such as layers? or can i JUST put the aqua soil in there as substrate? thanks!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
BradC
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonG View Post
Oh, i also have one more question. If i choose to put aqua soil in the aquarium, do i need anything else such as layers? or can i JUST put the aqua soil in there as substrate? thanks!
Aquasoil will do fine by itself.

Good luck!
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I just got some for the first time about 10 days ago, a 3 x 5 inch mat from http://www.aquariumplants.com and cut it into 15 1 inch squares, I have 150 gallon that's 30 inches tall with 1.73 wpg that is on 12 hrs per day w/o CO2. The DHG is doing fine and putting out new roots and new grass that is taller than what I got originally. So you will be fine but my Kribensis and Chain Loaches like to pull on it and eat it but the DHG is out growing their bad habits, I just have to get a net in the morning and clean up the floating debris but it's not much, good luck. At 4 wpg you better put that light up fairly high and the high light is the reason you'll need CO2, you could get away with a 120 watts if you want a low tech setup.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
DevonG
Algae Grower

haha, well i don't think changing my light is an option but hanging it higher certainly is. Thanks guys for the help!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #9
Abrium
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium

wait is your tank empty? If it is then you have the ability to grow a quick emerged carpet prior to filling the tank up all the way. This is the way to go and the way that a lot of people complete their carpet before they plant the rest of the tank.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:12 AM   #10
DevonG
Algae Grower

Nah, it's full already :/ but i think I'm gonna take a jump, buy some clumps, and try to grow it! thanks for the advice... though now i have yet another question lol. I have a UV sterilizer, and am curious if that would help to control algae?
Old 05-03-2011, 03:22 AM   #11
btimmer92
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (67/99%)

That much light will be bad without co2. If you want to use it you will have to hang it REALLY HIGH. If not, I would suggest only lighting it for 6 hours a day, maybe 8. Just do some experimenting. If you see algae, reduce the photo period. 150EH had 1/3 to 1/2 of the lighting you have, keep in mind.

btimmer92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #12
DevonG
Algae Grower

I'll keep that in mind btimmer, Thanks. Now i have yet another question this time regarding a filter oddly enough. i recently got an emperor 400 filter in a trade and i'm not sure if it is working properly. it sounds good and the bio wheels turn properly, but for how much gallons per hour its supposed to be spitting out, it looks as if only a slight amount of water is leaving the filter. Is it supposed to be spitting out alot of water? thanks
Old 05-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #13
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I grew it with 2wpg and no co2. Just grew really slow. Maybe 5 runners a week
Old 07-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
Jimmyblues
Algae Grower

Default A UV Sterilizer Is Very Useful In Keeping A Planted Tank's Water Clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonG View Post
Nah, it's full already :/ but i think I'm gonna take a jump, buy some clumps, and try to grow it! thanks for the advice... though now i have yet another question lol. I have a UV sterilizer, and am curious if that would help to control algae?

That's a definite yes on the uv sterilizer for keeping algae under control.

I have two high-tech planted aquariums which were impossible to keep the water clear in until I added uv sterilizers to them. The problem is that with the high lighting, CO2 injection and plant tab and liquid fertilization, there are so many nutrients in the water table that algae and bacterial blooms are inevitable.

The logical solution is a uv sterilizer, since they kill off bacteria and algae to keep them from overwhelming your aquarium.

There's also the myth that cheap uv sterilizers can't possibly be used to kill off bacteria.

As for those who claim that inexpensive uv sterilizers aren't germicidal because of the cheap construction of their uv bulbs, I disagree, since I have seen an aquarium whose water was cloudy from explosive bacterial growth clear up within 24 hours, after the majority of the bacteria had been eradicated.

I've also had success using inexpensive uv sterilizers from AquaTop, including their PF-UV25 hob filter/uv power filter/sterilizer. It works quite well, and because it's an hob, is portable enough to move to some of my other aquariums.

However, its media pad is small and really only useful for mechanical filtration, so I use it as such along with the uv sterilizer, and use an Eheim 2213 for biological and mechanical filtration.

These uv sterilizers really do work well at keeping an aquarium's water table clean.

In my experience, if you have a high tech planted aquarium and are unable to keep your water clear no matter what you have tried, a uv sterilizer will solve this problem.

I keep the one I have in a 20 gallon long aquarium on a timer with my CO2 tank and regulator, so the uv sterilizer is only on 12 hours a day. This helps to conserve the life of the uv bulb, while ensuring that since the PF-UV25 is on during the day, the algae and bacteria continue to be kept at a minimum.

I think a uv sterilizer should be part of any planted aquarium that includes linear flourescent high output lighting and injected CO2 systems.
Jimmyblues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
carpet, co2, grass, light, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.