Oceanic Biocube 14g Iwaguim Shrimp Tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #16
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
What do aquarium hobbyist do to "Feed The Need" (if you will) during thee DSM because it's only been a few days and I am already impatient... lol
That's what more than one tank is for! LOL

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #17
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Haha, yea I currently have a another tank which helps. I've also got a couple books from the library to ready in the mean time.

I should start thinking about getting a big tank. Something in the 55+ range would be nice, but first I need to master what I got going on here first. There is nothing wrong with planning though...
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:51 AM   #18
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

After doing some research, I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for an algae disaster...

I'm running 2 24w 10,000K lights for 12 hours a day and its Day 4 on my DSM.

What do you think?
Old 07-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #19
Chaoslord
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
I would post a eBay link where I got my fans from but I think that is against the forum rules these days; however, if you search:

NEW Ultimate Oceanic Biocube 8 & 14 dual Fan upgrade Kit Plug Play BALL BEARINGS

in eBay you should find that I bought for under $30.

The fans are quite loud but they do not rattle like the stock ones did. I would take a picture of the wiring but all my wiring is modded and would probably do you no good. No worries though because the fans are super easy to install. All you have to do is plug and play.
Wanted to say thanks. Super easy to Install and I even cut off the vents like you posted. I have super air flow now and tank temp is at 78 with no ice,it's never that low in the summer.I'm usually at 82. It is louder but their is no rattling and its worth it.
I paid 25 shipping included.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:00 AM   #20
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoslord View Post
Wanted to say thanks. Super easy to Install and I even cut off the vents like you posted. I have super air flow now and tank temp is at 78 with no ice,it's never that low in the summer.I'm usually at 82. It is louder but their is no rattling and its worth it.
I paid 25 shipping included.
I thought so to, and I'm glad you had a positive experience with the same product. They are kinda loud though don't you think? I wonder what quiet fans sound like...
Old 07-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #21
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

SET UP/RESCAPE MORE AQUARIUMS!!!

i have about 7-8 tanks going at any given time so it's all good.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #22
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

I would love to but I need to pace myself. Next, I'd like to do a mountinous hardscape with all kinda of mosses. They seem like low maininence and look awesome.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #23
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Default Photo Update: Week 1 Complete

7/26/12: Week 1 Complete!

Photo Update

>Photo of Week 1 Complete
Attachment 51549

>Humidity stays between 80-90% & temperature is always just below 80F
Attachment 51550

I've added a hint of API Co2 Booster in the spray bottle.

Well, I can't complain. So far, so good...

Last edited by tylergvolk; 11-28-2012 at 02:15 PM..
Old 07-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

hey, another biocube owner here.

very interested in your mods thus far regarding the filtration in the first and second chambers. is this documented anywhere or would you mind posting these details? I'm still getting my head around the filtration since the tank was a gift but many parts were missing. just was able to acquire the water pump for the return to the tank and purchased some tubing. I'm planning on a planted shrimp tank and need to get this running to start the akadama cycle. Interested in your work on the project. best, Al
Old 07-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #25
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

I'd love to help.

Here are some youtube.com videos of the mods that were done to my tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rpr4...1ED3BDF43BAC61

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLa89...feature=relmfu

In the first chamber I have my heater in chamber 2 I have the Intank basket 3 stages of filtration:

1. Floss/Mechanical
2. Carbon/Chemical
3. Fluval BIOMAX/Biological

In chamber 3, I have a sponge although I was thinking about changing it to something else.

Hope this helps, but if you need specific details search google, type: "biocube mods" and you will find a bunch of information.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #26
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Wink Update: 2 Weeks 8/1/12

Some of the HC has turn a bit yellow; however, some has turn a lush green and I have actually started seeing some new growth. I'm starting to realize how slow this stuff actually grows. On the bright side, I'm past the initial stage where the HC needs to establish itself.

This next week I expect a noticeably more growth and even more the week after. I will keep you all updates.

I plan to do this DSM for AS LONG AS IT TAKES! Call me dedicated, but I want this stuff to cover everything!

See the pictures

Attachment 51802

Attachment 51803

Attachment 51804

Attachment 51805

Future additions:

I want to create the prefect looking moss tree in the back right corner. I have a piece of wood that will work for the trunk of my tree. I currently have it in another tank. However I am depabatiing whether or not the buy a different piece.

Right now, I'm thinking I can mount a rock to the top of this piece and mount a base to support the weight. Then, I could hairnet Ricca or some other type of moss to the rock creating a tree.

My piece of drift wood is about 7" high and 2" thick. The rock I would want would be about 1" thick and 6" wide in a circular shape. Like the type of rock you look for when you are at the lake skipping rocks.

Another idea that was presented to me was to use crumpled up screen( not metal) for the top of my tree.

Other then that, I'm thinking about growing a few moss rocks below the tree - still in the light - to look like bushes.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #27
Chaoslord
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I think the screen would be the best idea. You could mold it to your tree the easiest. Sounds like its will look great.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #28
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Default Update: 3 Weeks 8/8/12

I have to say the time has gone by slowly. I want to DSM this HC till its full and thick. I'm hoping by 2.5 months this HC will be ready to rock and roll!

On the contrary, I have seen some yellowing and browning throughout. It's not in an specific area but kinda of just in random places. It's not enough to scare me but I did let it air out for half and day which brought my water level down. I'm thinking that its just to wet in there. This next week I am going to keep the water level even lower and see how the HC responds. I did plant is somewhat large clumps; therefore, that could be the reason for the yellowing and browning.

On a more positive note, I've noticed the leaves are bigger and more lush which is a good sign. The pictures really don't do it justice but I will post my week 3 picture.

> Week 3 Picture
Attachment 52198

As far as my plans for my moss tree, I have decided to do a DIY Zip Tie Moss Tree. I actually went ahead and bought some manzanita branches off Craigslist for $7 each. See Pictures

>Branch 1
Attachment 52195

>Branch 2
Attachment 52196

>Branches 1&2
Attachment 52197

I bought 2 just in case I needed extra, but I'm thinking I am only going to need 1. I plan to cut one down to the size I want and zip tie the branches on top to form the right shape. I will keep you all updated on how that all unfolds; however, the DIY Zip Tie Moss Tree will not be fully installed until after my DSM is complete.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #29
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Have you been using fertilizers in your spray bottle? Eco-Complete is inert until you start dosing fertilizers. The yellowing/browning of your HC might be because of a nutrient deficiency.

I love branches 1&2 together, but since you're only using one I would go with the first branch.

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #30
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overgrowth View Post
Have you been using fertilizers in your spray bottle? Eco-Complete is inert until you start dosing fertilizers. The yellowing/browning of your HC might be because of a nutrient deficiency.

I love branches 1&2 together, but since you're only using one I would go with the first branch.
I was wondering about that because I have heard about people over fertilizing. I decided I wasn't really going to fertilize at all until I filled the tank, but maybe I should...

Naturally, my next question is how much should I does? I can easily take the current water out and add new water with fertilizer in it, but I don't want to add to much.

Here is what I currently have for fertilizer.

>Front
Attachment 52224

>Back
Attachment 52225

Today, I ordered SeaChem Flourish line of fertilizers:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3475&subref=AA

But they will not arrive for another week or so.

Should I wait to SeaChem Flourish or add what I currently have?